Eliminating chain drift in price indexes based on scanner data
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Silver, Mick & Heravi, Saeed, 2005.
"A Failure in the Measurement of Inflation: Results From a Hedonic and Matched Experiment Using Scanner Data,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 269-281, July.
- Silver, Mick & Heravi, Saeed, 2002. "A failure in the measurement of inflation: results from a hedonic and matched experiment using scanner data," Working Paper Series 0144, European Central Bank.
- W. Erwin Diewert & Saeed Heravi & Mick Silver, 2009.
"Hedonic Imputation versus Time Dummy Hedonic Indexes,"
NBER Chapters,in: Price Index Concepts and Measurement, pages 161-196
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- W. E. Diewert & Mick Silver & Saeed Heravi, 2007. "Hedonic Imputation versus Time Dummy Hedonic Indexes," IMF Working Papers 07/234, International Monetary Fund.
- W. Erwin Diewert & Saeed Heravi & Mick Silver, 2008. "Hedonic Imputation versus Time Dummy Hedonic Indexes," NBER Working Papers 14018, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "Multilateral Comparisons of Output, Input, and Productivity Using Superlative Index Numbers," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(365), pages 73-86, March.
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
- Balk, B.M., 2001. "Aggregation Methods in International Comparisons," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2001-41-MKT, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Hill, Robert J., 2006. "Superlative index numbers: not all of them are super," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 25-43, January.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Matthew D. Shapiro, 2003.
"High-Frequency Substitution and the Measurement of Price Indexes,"
NBER Chapters,in: Scanner Data and Price Indexes, pages 123-150
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Matthew D. Shapiro, 2001. "High-Frequency Substitution and the Measurement of Price Indexes," NBER Working Papers 8176, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jack E. Triplett, 2003. "Using Scanner Data in Consumer Price Indexes. Some Neglected Conceptual Considerations," NBER Chapters,in: Scanner Data and Price Indexes, pages 151-162 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 1995. "Axiomatic and Economic Approaches to Elementary Price Indexes," NBER Working Papers 5104, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diewert, W. Erwin, 1999. "Index Number Approaches To Seasonal Adjustment," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(01), pages 48-68, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marcelo Delajara & José Antonio Murillo Garza, 2012. "Weekday with Low Prices: Evidence on Daily Seasonality of Foods, Beverages, and Tobacco Prices," Working Papers 2012-09, Banco de México.
- Kota Watanabe & Tsutomu Watanabe, 2014. "We construct a TÃ¶rnqvist daily price index using Japanese point of sale (POS) scannerdata spanning from 1988 to 2013. We find the following. First, the POS based inflation rate tends to be about 0.5 ," CARF F-Series CARF-F-342, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Abe, Naohito & Inakura, Noriko & Tonogi, Akiyuki, 2017. "Effects of the Entry and Exit of Products on Price Indexes," RCESR Discussion Paper Series DP17-2, Research Center for Economic and Social Risks, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Diewert, W. Erwin & Fox, Kevin J., 2016. "Kevin J. Fox Interview of W. Erwin Diewert," Microeconomics.ca working papers erwin_diewert-2016-6, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 02 Jun 2016.
- Abe, Naohito & Enda, Toshiki & Inakura, Noriko & Tonogi, Akiyuki, 2015. "Effects of New Goods and Product Turnover on Price Indexes," RCESR Discussion Paper Series DP15-2, Research Center for Economic and Social Risks, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Fox, Kevin J. & Syed, Iqbal A., 2016. "Price discounts and the measurement of inflation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 191(2), pages 398-406.
- repec:aea:jecper:v:31:y:2017:i:2:p:187-210 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kota Watanabe & Tsutomu Watanabe, 2014. "Estimating Daily Inflation Using Scanner Data: A Progress Report," UTokyo Price Project Working Paper Series 020, University of Tokyo, Graduate School of Economics.
- Daniel Leigh & Weicheng Lian & Marcos Poplawski-Ribeiro & Rachel Szymanski & Viktor Tsyrennikov & Hong Yang, 2017. "Exchange Rates and Trade; A Disconnect?," IMF Working Papers 17/58, International Monetary Fund.
- , & Diewert, Erwin, 2014. "An Empirical Illustration of Index Construction using Israeli Data on Vegetables," Economics working papers erwin_diewert-2014-11, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 11 Mar 2014.
- Jan de Haan & Rens Hendriks & Michael Scholz, 2016. "A Comparison of Weighted Time-Product Dummy and Time Dummy Hedonic Indexes," Graz Economics Papers 2016-13, University of Graz, Department of Economics.
- Diewert, W. Erwin, 2017. "Productivity Measurement in the Public Sector: Theory and Practice," Microeconomics.ca working papers erwin_diewert-2017-1, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 02 Feb 2017.
- repec:eee:jfpoli:v:74:y:2018:i:c:p:212-224 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kevin J, Fox. & Iqbal A. Syed, 2016. "Price Discounts and the Measurement of Inflation: Further Results," Discussion Papers 2016-05, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Castellari, Elena & Moro, D. & Platoni, S. & Sckokai, P., 2013. "Measuring the impact of retailers’ strategies on food price inflation using scanner data," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150258, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
More about this item
KeywordsConsumer price index (CPI) Chain drift Multilateral index number methods Scanner data Superlative indexes;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:161:y:2011:i:1:p:36-46. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.