Räumliche Preisvergleiche: Aggregationskonzepte und Forschungsperspektiven
Politicians and scientists have a strong interest in reliable regional and international comparisons of productivity, income, wages, and social benefits. Such comparisons require meaningful indicators of the regional and international price levels. The computation of such indicators utilizes multilateral price indices. The present paper introduces a general definition of multilateral price indices. A large variety of such indices has been proposed in the past. In the present paper each proposal is assigned to one of three different basic approaches: the correction approach (e.g., GEKS price index), the chaining approach (e.g., minimum spanning tree), and the homogenizing approach (e.g., Geary-Khamis price index). In the context of this partition, the differences and similarities of the various indices are presented. In particular, the analysis of the homogenizing approach goes significantly beyond the existing literature. A broader application of the homogenizing approach is advocated. Copyright Springer 2012
Volume (Year): 6 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/content/120614/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "Multilateral Comparisons of Output, Input, and Productivity Using Superlative Index Numbers," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(365), pages 73-86, March.
- Drechsler, Laszlo, 1973. "Weighting of Index Numbers in Multilateral International Comparisons," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 19(1), pages 17-34, March.
- Hill, Robert J, 1997. "A Taxonomy of Multilateral Methods for Making International Comparisons of Prices and Quantities," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 43(1), pages 49-69, March.
- Cuthbert, James R, 1999. "Categorisation of Additive Purchasing Power Parities," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 45(2), pages 235-49, June.
- D. S. Prasada Rao & Marcel P. Timmer, 2003. "Purchasing Power Parities for Industry Comparisons Using Weighted Elteto-Koves-Szulc (EKS) Methods," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 49(4), pages 491-511, December.
- Gholamreza Hajargasht & D. S. Prasada Rao, 2010.
"Stochastic Approach To Index Numbers For Multilateral Price Comparisons And Their Standard Errors,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 56(s1), pages S32-S58, 06.
- Gholamreza Hajargasht & D.S. Prasada Rao, 2008. "Stochastic Approach to Index Numbers for Multilateral Price Comparisons and their Standard Errors," CEPA Working Papers Series WP062008, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Hill, Robert & Timmer, Marcel, 2004.
"Standard errors as weights in multilateral price indices,"
GGDC Research Memorandum
200473, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Hill, Robert J. & Timmer, Marcel P., 2006. "Standard Errors as Weights in Multilateral Price Indexes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 366-377, July.
- Jan Goebel & Joachim R. Frick & Markus M. Grabka, 2009. "Preisunterschiede mildern Einkommensgefälle zwischen West und Ost," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 76(51/52), pages 888-894.
- Summers, Robert, 1973. "International Price Comparisons Based Upon Incomplete Data," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 19(1), pages 1-16, March.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521889070 is not listed on IDEAS
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
- James R. Cuthbert, 2000. "Theoretical and practical issues in purchasing power parities illustrated with reference to the 1993 Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development data," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 163(3), pages 421-444.
- Robert J. Hill, 1999. "Comparing Price Levels across Countries Using Minimum-Spanning Trees," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(1), pages 135-142, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:astaws:v:6:y:2012:i:1:p:27-56. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.