Measuring spatial price differentials: A comparison of stochastic index number methods
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- E. A. Selvanathan, 2003. "Extending the stochastic approach to index numbers: a comment on Crompton," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 213-215.
- László Drechsler, 1973. "Weighting Of Index Numbers In Multilateral International Comparisons," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 19(1), pages 17-34, March.
- Hill, Robert J., 2016. "A least squares approach to imposing within-region fixity in the International Comparisons Program," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 191(2), pages 407-413.
- James R. Cuthbert, 2003. "On the Variance/Covariance Structure of the Log Fisher Index, and Implications for Aggregation Techniques," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 49(1), pages 69-88, March.
- Hill, Robert J. & Timmer, Marcel P., 2006.
"Standard Errors as Weights in Multilateral Price Indexes,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 366-377, July.
- Hill, Robert & Timmer, Marcel, 2004. "Standard errors as weights in multilateral price indices," GGDC Research Memorandum 200473, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Bettina Aten, 1996. "Evidence Of Spatial Autocorreilation In International Prices," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 42(2), pages 149-163, June.
- Rao, D.S. Prasada & Hajargasht, Gholamreza, 2016. "Stochastic approach to computation of purchasing power parities in the International Comparison Program (ICP)," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 191(2), pages 414-425.
- Timm Behrmann & Simon Deml & Stefan Linz, 2009. "Verwendung von Einzeldaten aus der Verbraucherpreisstatistik für regionale Preisvergleiche," RatSWD Research Notes 36, German Data Forum (RatSWD).
- Hill, Robert J. & Hill, T. Peter, 2009. "Recent Developments In The International Comparison Of Prices And Real Output," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(S2), pages 194-217, September.
- Robert Summers, 1973. "International Price Comparisons Based Upon Incomplete Data," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 19(1), pages 1-16, March.
- Gholamreza Hajargasht & D. S. Prasada Rao, 2010.
"Stochastic Approach To Index Numbers For Multilateral Price Comparisons And Their Standard Errors,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 56(s1), pages 32-58, June.
- Gholamreza Hajargasht & D.S. Prasada Rao, 2008. "Stochastic Approach to Index Numbers for Multilateral Price Comparisons and their Standard Errors," CEPA Working Papers Series WP062008, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "Multilateral Comparisons of Output, Input, and Productivity Using Superlative Index Numbers," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(365), pages 73-86, March.
- Paul Crompton, 2000. "Extending the stochastic approach to index numbers," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(6), pages 367-371.
- Selvanathan, E. A. & Prasada Rao, D. S., 1992. "An econometric approach to the construction of generalized Theil-Tornqvist indices for multilateral comparisons," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 335-346.
- Aten, Bettina, 1996. "Evidence of Spatial Autocorrelation in International Prices," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 42(2), pages 149-163, June.
- Alberto Cavallo, 2018. "More Amazon Effects: Online Competition and Pricing Behaviors," NBER Working Papers 25138, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ludwig Auer, 2012. "Räumliche Preisvergleiche: Aggregationskonzepte und Forschungsperspektiven," AStA Wirtschafts- und Sozialstatistisches Archiv, Springer;Deutsche Statistische Gesellschaft - German Statistical Society, vol. 6(1), pages 27-56, December.
- D. S. Prasada Rao & Marcel P. Timmer, 2003. "Purchasing Power Parities for Industry Comparisons Using Weighted Elteto–Koves–Szulc (EKS) Methods," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 49(4), pages 491-511, December.
- Clements, Kenneth W & Izan, H Y, 1981. "A Note on Estimating Divisia Index Numbers," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 22(3), pages 745-747, October.
More about this item
KeywordsSpatial price comparisons; below basic heading; multilateral index number methods; CPD method; GEKS method; product definition;
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- R10 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - General
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-GEO-2020-04-06 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-MAC-2020-04-06 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-URE-2020-04-06 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:bubdps:122020. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - Leibniz Information Centre for Economics). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/dbbgvde.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.