Extending the stochastic approach to index numbers: a comment on Crompton
Stochastic approach has received renewed attention in recent years (e.g. Clements and Izan, and Selvanathan and Rao). However, there was some criticism about the form of the error variance used in the new stochastic approach (see work by Diewert). In a recent paper in Applied Economics Letters, Crompton provided a solution to this problem. This article presents some comments and corrections on Crompton's work.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 10 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- K.W. Clements & H.Y. Izan, 1987.
"The Measurement of Inflation: A stochastic approach,"
Economics Discussion / Working Papers
87-02, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Clements, Kenneth W & Izan, H Y, 1987. "The Measurement of Inflation: A Stochastic Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 5(3), pages 339-350, July.
- K.W. Clements & H.Y. Izan, 1984. "The Measurement of Inflation: a Stochastic Approach," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 84-10, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Rao, D S Prasada & Selvanathan, E A, 1992. "Computation of Standard Errors for Geary-Khamis Parities and International Prices: A Stochastic Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(1), pages 109-115, January.
- Diewert, Erwin, 2007. "Index Numbers," Economics working papers diewert-07-01-03-08-17-23, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 31 Jan 2007.
- Selvanathan, E A, 1989.
"A Note on the Stochastic Approach to Index Numbers,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 7(4), pages 471-474, October.
- E.A. Selvanathan, 1989. "A Note on the Stochastic Approach to Index Numbers," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 89-07, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Selvanathan, E. A. & Prasada Rao, D. S., 1992. "An econometric approach to the construction of generalized Theil-Tornqvist indices for multilateral comparisons," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 335-346.
- Prasada Rao, D S & Selvanathan, E Anthony & Pilat, Dirk, 1995. "Generalized Theil-Tornqvist Indices with Applications to International Comparisons of Prices and Real Output," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(2), pages 352-60, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:10:y:2003:i:4:p:213-215. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.