Estimating economic relationships subject to firm- and time-varying equality and inequality constraints
Applied econometricians often fail to impose economic regularity constraints in the exact form economic theory prescribes. We show how the Singular Value Decomposition (SVD) Theorem and Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) methods can be used to rigorously impose time- and firm-varying equality and inequality constraints. To illustrate the technique we estimate a system of translog input demand functions subject to all the constraints implied by economic theory, including observation-varying symmetry and concavity constraints. Results are presented in the form of characteristics of the estimated posterior distributions of functions of the parameters. Copyright © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 16 (2001)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/ |
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jcatalog/subscribe.jsp?issn=0883-7252 Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Griffiths, William E. & O'Donnell, Christopher J. & Cruz, Agustina Tan, 1999.
"Imposing Regularity Conditions On A System Of Cost And Factor Share Equations,"
12925, University of New England, School of Economics.
- Griffiths, William E. & O'Donnell, Christopher J. & Cruz, Agustina Tan, 2000. "Imposing regularity conditions on a system of cost and factor share equations," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 44(1), March.
- C. Richard Shumway, 1989. "Testing Structure and Behavior with First- and Second-order Taylor Series Expansions," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 37(1), pages 95-109, 03.
- Diewert, Walter E & Wales, Terence J, 1987.
"Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 43-68, January.
- W. Erwin Diewert & T.J. Wales, 1989. "Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions," NBER Technical Working Papers 0040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Terrell, Dek, 1996. "Incorporating Monotonicity and Concavity Conditions in Flexible Functional Forms," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(2), pages 179-94, March-Apr.
- Geweke, John, 1986. "Exact Inference in the Inequality Constrained Normal Linear Regression Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(2), pages 127-41, April.
- Clements, Kenneth W & Izan, H Y, 1987. "The Measurement of Inflation: A Stochastic Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 5(3), pages 339-50, July.
- van Soest, A.H.O. & Kooreman, P. & Kapteyn, A.J., 1990.
"Coherency and regularity of demand systems with equality and inequality constraints,"
1990-1, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Soest, Arthur van & Kapteyn, Arie & Kooreman, Peter, 1993. "Coherency and regularity of demand systems with equality and inequality constraints," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1-3), pages 161-188.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-364384 is not listed on IDEAS
- Villezca-Becerra, Pedro A. & Shumway, C. Richard, 1992. "Multiple-Output Production Modeled With Three Functional Forms," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 17(01), July.
- Selvanathan, E A, 1989. "A Note on the Stochastic Approach to Index Numbers," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 7(4), pages 471-74, October.
- Blanciforti, Laura & Green, Richard, 1983. "The Almost Ideal Demand System: A Comparison and Application to Food Groups," Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 3.
- V. Eldon Ball & Frank M. Gollop & Alison Kelly-Hawke & Gregory P. Swinand, 1999. "Patterns of State Productivity Growth in the U.S. Farm Sector: Linking State and Aggregate Models," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(1), pages 164-179.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Meilke, Karl D., 1989. "Modeling the Pattern of Structural Change in U.S. Meat Demand," Staff General Research Papers 11266, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:12:y:1996:i:3:p:409-31 is not listed on IDEAS
- Doran, Howard E. & Rambaldi, Alicia N., 1997. "Applying linear time-varying constraints to econometric models: With an application to demand systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 83-95, July.
- Adolf Buse, 1998. "Testing Homogeneity in the Linearized Almost Ideal Demand System," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 208-220.
- Christopher J. O'Donnell & C. Richard Shumway & V. Eldon Ball, 1999. "Input Demands and Inefficiency in U.S. Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 865-880.
- Bewley, R. A., 1983. "Tests of restrictions in large demand systems," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-3), pages 257-269, January.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Siddhartha Chib & Edward Greenberg, 1994.
"Markov Chain Monte Carlo Simulation Methods in Econometrics,"
9408001, EconWPA, revised 24 Oct 1994.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Greenberg, Edward, 1996. "Markov Chain Monte Carlo Simulation Methods in Econometrics," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 409-431, August.
- Coelli, T J, 1996. "Measurement of Total Factor Productivity Growth and Biases in Technological Change in Western Australian Agriculture," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(1), pages 77-91, Jan.-Feb..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jae:japmet:v:16:y:2001:i:6:p:709-726. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.