Demand For Meat And Fish Products In Korea
The Korean livestock industry is currently facing the critical challenge of the market liberalization trend under the World Trade Organization. This study analyzes the consumption behavior of meat and fish products in Korea, by estimating the Linear Approximate Almost Ideal Demand System (LA/AIDS). The empirical results indicate that beef imports in Korea would increase in the future under trade liberalization. If cheap and better quality imported beef are introduced to Korean consumers, Hanwoo (Korean domestic cattle) beef would not maintain its market share. Key words: Meat, fish, trade liberalization, per capita consumption, demand, separability, and price elasticity.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Eales & Catherine Durham & Cathy R. Wessells, 1997. "Generalized Models of Japanese Demand for Fish," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1153-1163.
- Edgerton, David L., 1993. "On The Estimation Of Separable Demand Models," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(02), December.
- Eales, James S. & Roheim, Cathy A., 1999. "Testing Separability Of Japanese Demand For Meat And Fish Within Differential Demand Systems," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(01), July.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Moro, D. & Green, Richard D., 1994. "Maintaining and Testing Separability in Demand Systems," Staff General Research Papers 11247, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- James S. Eales & Laurian J. Unnevehr, 1988. "Demand for Beef and Chicken Products: Separability and Structural Change," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 70(3), pages 521-532.
- Julian M. Alston & James A. Chalfant, 1993. "The Silence of the Lambdas: A Test of the Almost Ideal and Rotterdam Models," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 75(2), pages 304-313.
- LaFrance, Jeffrey T., 1991. "When Is Expenditure "Exogenous" In Separable Demand Models?," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(01), July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea02:19895. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.