The Structure of U.S. Red Meat and Livestock Imports
The Flexible nonlinear almost ideal demand systems are estimated for U.S. import demand for red meat and livestock (live cattle and hogs). In estimating the model, expenditure endogeneity is imposed. Estimates of price elasticity suggest that fresh and frozen beef and live cattle are price elastic. Pork, sheep meat and hogs, on the other hand, are price inelastic. The study also finds that frozen beef and sheep meat, both mainly supplied by Australia and New Zealand, are expenditure elastic; whereas fresh beef, pork, live cattle and hogs are expenditure inelastic.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 1995. "Units of Measurement and the 'Stone Index' In Demand System Estimation," Staff General Research Papers 5058, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Darrough, Masako N & Diewert, W E, 1977. "Flexible Functional Forms and Expenditure Distributions: An Application to Canadian Consumer Demand Functions," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(3), pages 651-75, October.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Moro, D. & Green, Richard D., 1994. "Maintaining and Testing Separability in Demand Systems," Staff General Research Papers 11247, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Richard Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 2000.
"Latent Separability: Grouping Goods without Weak Separability,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(1), pages 53-84, January.
- R. Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 2000. "Latent separability: grouping goods without weak separability," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/f0uohitsgqh, Sciences Po.
- Blundell & Robin, 2000. "Latent separability : grouping goods without weak separability," Working Papers 156158, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Richard Blundell & Robin, J M, 1995. "Latent separability: grouping goods without weak separability," IFS Working Papers W95/09, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Steven T. Berry, 1994. "Estimating Discrete-Choice Models of Product Differentiation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(2), pages 242-262, Summer.
- Yang, Seung-Ryong & Koo, Won W., 1994. "Japanese Meat Import Demand Estimation With The Source Differentiated Aids Model," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(02), December.
- Tirtha Pratim Dhar & Jean-Paul Chavas & Brian W. Gould, 2002.
"An Empirical Assessment of Endogeneity Issues In Demand Analysis for Differentiated Products,"
Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports
066, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Dhar, Tirtha Pratim & Chavas, Jean-Paul & Gould, Brian W., 2002. "An Empirical Assessment of Endogeneity Issues In Demand Analysis for Differentiated Products," Research Reports 25227, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- LaFrance, Jeffrey T., 1991. "When Is Expenditure "Exogenous" In Separable Demand Models?," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(01), July.
- Mattson, Jeremy W. & Wachenheim, Cheryl J. & Koo, Won W. & Petry, Timothy A., 2001. "Canadian Exports Of Livestock And Meat To The United States," Agribusiness & Applied Economics Report 23610, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Hayes, Dermot J. & Wahl, Thomas I. & Williams, Gary W., 1990. "Testing Restrictions on a Model of Japanese Meat Demand," Staff General Research Papers 10940, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Buhr, Brian L. & Kim, Hanho, 1997. "Dynamic adjustment in the US beef market with imports," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 17(1), pages 21-34, October.
- Henneberry, Shida Rastegari & Piewthongngam, Kullapapruk & Qiang, Han, 1999. "Consumer Food Safety Concerns And Fresh Produce Consumption," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(01), July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:saeaed:6824. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.