Demand For Healthy Food In The United States
This study investigates the demand for selected healthy food groups in the United States. The original linear approximate almost ideal demand system (LA/AIDS) is modified by the use of a Laspeyres index and a normalization in order to compute demand elasticities identically to the AIDS model. The results of this study suggest that poultry is the most price elastic while cereals are the least price elastic. Fresh fruits and fresh vegetables are more price elastic than processed fruits and processed vegetables. Increasing income would induce the increases in the consumption of fresh vegetables and fruits more than that of cereals and bakery products, while increasing health risk concerns would induce the decreases in the consumption of bakery products and poultry but the increases in the consumption of fresh vegetables and cereals. The demographic variables exhibit certain effects on the demand for some healthy food groups and seasonal fluctuations statistically exist in the consumption of all food groups under study.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pollak, Robert A & Wales, Terence J, 1978. "Estimation of Complete Demand Systems from Household Budget Data: The Linear and Quadratic Expenditure Systems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(3), pages 348-59, June.
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 1995. "Units of Measurement and the 'Stone Index' In Demand System Estimation," Staff General Research Papers 5058, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Frank Asche & Cathy R. Wessells, 1997. "On Price Indices in the Almost Ideal Demand System," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1182-1185.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Alston, Julian M & Foster, Kenneth A & Green, Richard D, 1994. "Estimating Elasticities with the Linear Approximate Almost Ideal Demand System: Some Monte Carlo Results," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(2), pages 351-56, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea00:21857. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.