Household Vegetable Demand in the Philippines: Is There an Urban-Rural Divide?
A three-step estimation method and a Nonlinear Quadratic Almost Ideal Demand System (NQAIDS) are used to assess the vegetable demand behavior of rural and urban households in the Philippines. The results show that most of the expenditure and own-price elasticities of the vegetables analyzed are near or larger than unitary in both rural and urban areas. For majority of the vegetable commodities, there are no significant differences in the expenditure, own-price, and cross-price elasticities of urban households relative to rural households. Only demand for cabbage and tomatoes in the urban areas tend to be statistically different compared to rural areas. The demand behavior information gleaned from the analysis provides important insights that could help guide nutritional and public policies in rural and urban areas of the Philippines.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Kellie Curry Raper & Maria Namakhoye Wanzala & Rodolfo Nayga, 2002. "Food expenditures and household demographic composition in the US: a demand systems approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(8), pages 981-992.
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 2001.
"Flexible Multistage Demand System Based on Indirect Separability, A,"
Staff General Research Papers
1921, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- GianCarlo Moschini, 2000. "Flexible Multistage Demand System Based on Indirect Separability, A," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 00-wp265, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Suwen Pan & Cheng Fang & Jaime Malaga, 2006. "Alcoholic beverage consumption in China: a censored demand system approach," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(15), pages 975-979.
- GianCarlo Moschini, 2001. "A Flexible Multistage Demand System Based on Indirect Separability," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 68(1), pages 22-41, July.
- Garrett, James L., ed. & Ruel, Marie T., ed., 2000. "Achieving urban food and nutrition security in the developing world:," 2020 vision focus 3, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Murphy, Kevin M & Topel, Robert H, 2002.
"Estimation and Inference in Two-Step Econometric Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 88-97, January.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Topel, Robert H, 1985. "Estimation and Inference in Two-Step Econometric Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(4), pages 370-79, October.
- Blundell, Richard & Pashardes, Panos & Weber, Guglielmo, 1993. "What Do We Learn About Consumer Demand Patterns from Micro Data?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 570-97, June.
- Harald Tauchmann, 2005. "Efficiency of two-step estimators for censored systems of equations: Shonkwiler and Yen reconsidered," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(4), pages 367-374.
- Pofahl, Geoffrey M. & Capps, Oral, Jr. & Clauson, Annette L., 2005. "Demand for Non-Alcoholic Beverages: Evidence From The ACNielsen Home Scan Panel," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19441, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Panayiota Lyssiotou & Panos Pashardes & Thanasis Stengos, 2001.
"Nesting Quadratic Logarithmic Demand Systems,"
University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics
0201, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Llanto, Gilberto M., . "Philippine Households' Response to Price and Income Changes," Research Paper Series, Philippine Institute for Development Studies, number RPS 1998-02.
- Jensen, Helen H. & Manrique, Justo, 2006. "Socio-Economic Factors Affecting Household Expenditures on Fresh and Prepared Seafood: The Spanish Case," Staff General Research Papers 12446, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Diansheng Dong & J.S. Shonkwiler & Oral Capps, 1998. "Estimation of Demand Functions Using Cross-Sectional Household Data: The Problem Revisited," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(3), pages 466-473.
- Quisumbing, Agnes R. & Valerio, Teresita E. & Red, Evangeline R. & Villavieja, Gracia M., 1988. "Flexible Functional Form Estimates of Philippine Demand Elasticities for Nutrition Policy Simulation," Working Papers WP 1988-13, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:saeaso:35483. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.