Households Consumption Patterns and Equivalence Scales in Italy: 1997-2004
We use a sample of 43,700 observations on Italian households’ current expenditures to investigate consumption patterns from 1997 to 2004, a time period which encompasses the introduction of the Euro. Compensated and uncompensated price elasticities and expenditure elasticities for ten goods and heterogeneous households are obtained from the estimated parameters of a complete Censored non linear Almost Ideal Demand System (CAIDS) with demographic shifters. To tackle the problem of corner solutions for some goods we adopt the Two Step estimator proposed by Shonkweiler and Yen (1999). Parametric equivalence scales for the investigation period 1997-2004 are also computed for households with different demographic composition and different geographical location.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza S.Francesco,7 - 53100 Siena|
Web page: http://www.deps.unisi.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven Yen & Kamhon Kan & Shew-Jiuan Su, 2002. "Household demand for fats and oils: two-step estimation of a censored demand system," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(14), pages 1799-1806.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2000.
"A Rational Rank Four Demand System,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
463, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 04 Apr 2003.
- Federico Perali, 2007. "Can PIGLOG preferences identify equivalence scales?," International Review of Economics, Springer;Happiness Economics and Interpersonal Relations (HEIRS), vol. 54(2), pages 248-260, June.
- J. Scott Shonkwiler & Steven T. Yen, 1999. "Two-Step Estimation of a Censored System of Equations," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 972-982.
- Harald Tauchmann, 2005. "Efficiency of two-step estimators for censored systems of equations: Shonkwiler and Yen reconsidered," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(4), pages 367-374.
- Anderson, Gordon & Blundell, Richard, 1984. "Consumer Non-Durables in the U.K. A Dynamic Demand System," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(376a), pages 35-44, Supplemen.
- Koulovatianos, Christos & Schroder, Carsten & Schmidt, Ulrich, 2005.
"On the income dependence of equivalence scales,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(5-6), pages 967-996, June.
- Yen, Steven T. & Lin, Biing-Hwan, 2004.
"A Sample Selection Approach To Censored Demand Systems,"
2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO
20082, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Steven T. Yen & Biing-Hwan Lin, 2006. "A Sample Selection Approach to Censored Demand Systems," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(3), pages 742-749.
- Donaldson, David & Pendakur, Krishna, 2006. "The Identification of Fixed Costs From Consumer Behavior," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 255-265, July.
- Steven T. Yen & Biing-Hwan Lin & David M. Smallwood, 2003. "Quasi- and Simulated-Likelihood Approaches to Censored Demand Systems: Food Consumption by Food Stamp Recipients in the United States," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(2), pages 458-478.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Pashardes, Panos, 1991. "Contemporaneous and intertemporal child costs : Equivalent expenditure vs. equivalent income scales," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 191-213, July.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Topel, Robert H, 2002.
"Estimation and Inference in Two-Step Econometric Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 88-97, January.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Topel, Robert H, 1985. "Estimation and Inference in Two-Step Econometric Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(4), pages 370-79, October.
- Federico Perali & Jean-Paul Chavas, 2000. "Estimation of Censored Demand Equations from Large Cross-Section Data," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(4), pages 1022-1037.
- Diansheng Dong & Brian W. Gould & Harry M. Kaiser, 2004. "Food Demand in Mexico: An Application of the Amemiya-Tobin Approach to the Estimation of a Censored Food System," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(4), pages 1094-1107.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usi:wpaper:535. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabrizio Becatti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.