Estimating time, age and vintage effects in housing prices
The simultaneous estimation of vintage, age and time of sale effects in hedonic models is generally thought to be impossible without some restriction on functional form. This is not the case. We extend and employ the method of McKenzie (McKenzie, D., 2006. Disentangling age, cohort and time effects in the additive model. Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, 68, 473-495) to estimate additive, but otherwise unrestricted nonparametric hedonic effects of these three temporal variables for a large sample of transactions from Chicago. We compare these to standard treatments of these three variables in hedonic models, and also test for the restrictions that would be implied by linear and quadratic temporal effects, which are all strongly rejected.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cannaday, Roger E. & Munneke, Henry J. & Yang, Tyler T., 2005. "A multivariate repeat-sales model for estimating house price indices," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 320-342, March.
- G. Sirmans & Lynn MacDonald & David Macpherson & Emily Zietz, 2006. "The Value of Housing Characteristics: A Meta Analysis," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 215-240, November.
- Dye, Richard F. & McMillen, Daniel P., 2007. "Teardowns and land values in the Chicago metropolitan area," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 45-63, January.
- Bradford Case & Henry O. Pollakowski & Susan M. Wachter, 1991. "On Choosing Among House Price Index Methodologies," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 19(3), pages 286-307.
- N. Edward Coulson & Michael L. Lahr, 2005. "Gracing the Land of Elvis and Beale Street: Historic Designation and Property Values in Memphis," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 33(3), pages 487-507, 09.
- David J. McKenzie, 2006.
"Disentangling Age, Cohort and Time Effects in the Additive Model,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 68(4), pages 473-495, 08.
- David McKenzie, 2002. "Distangling Age, Cohort and Time Effects in the Additive Model," Working Papers 02009, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Helms, Andrew C., 2003. "Understanding gentrification: an empirical analysis of the determinants of urban housing renovation," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 474-498, November.
- Case, Bradford & Quigley, John M, 1991. "The Dynamics of Real Estate Prices," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 50-58, February.
- Clapp, John M. & Giaccotto, Carmelo, 1998. "Residential Hedonic Models: A Rational Expectations Approach to Age Effects," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 415-437, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jhouse:v:17:y:2008:i:2:p:138-151. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.