The impact of a new light rail system on single-family property values in Charlotte, North Carolina
This paper examines the impact of a new light rail system on single-family housing values in Charlotte, North Carolina, from 1997 to 2008. We use a Hedonic Price Analysis (HPA) to estimate how proximity to light rail, housing characteristics, and spatial components (at a block group level) affect single-family housing values. The same method is applied to each of the four time periods (t1, t2, t3, t4) that coincide with the pre-planning, planning, construction, and operation phase of the light rail system. We observe a trend that suggests a greater desirability to live closer to a light rail station as the transit system becomes operational.
Volume (Year): 5 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jtlu.org/index.php/jtlu|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grether, D. M. & Mieszkowski, Peter, 1974.
"Determinants of real estate values,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 127-145, April.
- Grether, David M. & Mieszkowski, P., "undated". "Determinants of Real Estate Values," Working Papers 28, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & S. Statev, 2006. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00260898, HAL.
- J F Kain & J M Quigley, 1970. "Evaluating the quality of the residential environment," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 2(1), pages 23-32, January.
- J.F. Kain & J.M. Quigley, 1970. "Evaluating the Quality of the Residential Environment," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 2(1), pages 23-32, March.
- Ong, Paul M. & Houston, Douglas, 2002. "Transit, Employment and Women on Welfare," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt3287s046, University of California Transportation Center.
- Gibbons, Stephen & Machin, Stephen, 2005. "Valuing rail access using transport innovations," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 148-169, January.
- Stephen Gibbons & Stephen Machin, 2004. "Valuing rail access using transport innovations," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19989, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Steve Gibbons & Stephen Machin, 2004. "Valuing Rail Access Using Transport Innovations," CEP Discussion Papers dp0611, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Coulson, N. Edward & McMillen, Daniel P., 2008. "Estimating time, age and vintage effects in housing prices," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 138-151, June.
- John D. Benjamin & G. Stacy Sirmans, 1996. "Mass Transportation, Apartment Rent and Property Values," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 12(1), pages 1-8.
- Bowes, David R. & Ihlanfeldt, Keith R., 2001. "Identifying the Impacts of Rail Transit Stations on Residential Property Values," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, July.
- Ghebreegziabiher Debrezion & Eric Pels & Piet Rietveld, 2007. "The Impact of Railway Stations on Residential and Commercial Property Value: A Meta-analysis," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 161-180, August.
- Ghebreegziabiher Debrezion & Eric Pels & Piet Rietveld, 2004. "The Impact of Railway Stations on Residential and Commercial Property Value: a Meta Analysis," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-023/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Claudio A. Agostini & Gastón A. Palmucci, 2008. "The Anticipated Capitalisation Effect of a New Metro Line on Housing Prices," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 29(2), pages 233-256, 06.
- Voith Richard, 1993. "Changing Capitalization of CBD-Oriented Transportation Systems: Evidence from Philadelphia, 1970-1988," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 361-376, May.
- Richard Voith, 1991. "Changing capitalization of CBD-oriented transportation systems: evidence from Philadelphia, 1970-1988," Working Papers 91-19, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- McDonald, John F. & Osuji, Clifford I., 1995. "The effect of anticipated transportation improvement on residential land values," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 261-278, June.
- Daniel P. McMillen & John McDonald, 2004. "Reaction of House Prices to a New Rapid Transit Line: Chicago's Midway Line, 1983-1999," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 32(3), pages 463-486, 09.
- M. Ruth & K. Donaghy & P. Kirshen, 2006. "Introduction," Chapters,in: Regional Climate Change and Variability, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Dean H. Gatzlaff & Marc T. Smith, 1993. "The Impact of the Miami Metrorail on the Value of Residences near Station Locations," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 69(1), pages 54-66.
- N. Edward Coulson & Michael L. Lahr, 2005. "Gracing the Land of Elvis and Beale Street: Historic Designation and Property Values in Memphis," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 33(3), pages 487-507, 09. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:jtralu:0082. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Arlene Mathison)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.