The impact of a new light rail system on single-family property values in Charlotte, North Carolina
This paper examines the impact of a new light rail system on single-family housing values in Charlotte, North Carolina, from 1997 to 2008. We use a Hedonic Price Analysis (HPA) to estimate how proximity to light rail, housing characteristics, and spatial components (at a block group level) affect single-family housing values. The same method is applied to each of the four time periods (t1, t2, t3, t4) that coincide with the pre-planning, planning, construction, and operation phase of the light rail system. We observe a trend that suggests a greater desirability to live closer to a light rail station as the transit system becomes operational.
Volume (Year): 5 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jtlu.org/index.php/jtlu|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- N. Edward Coulson & Michael L. Lahr, 2005. "Gracing the Land of Elvis and Beale Street: Historic Designation and Property Values in Memphis," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 33(3), pages 487-507, 09.
- J F Kain & J M Quigley, 1970.
"Evaluating the quality of the residential environment,"
Environment and Planning A,
Pion Ltd, London, vol. 2(1), pages 23-32, January.
- J.F. Kain & J.M. Quigley, 1970. "Evaluating the Quality of the Residential Environment," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 2(1), pages 23-32, March.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & S. Statev, 2006. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00260898, HAL.
- Stephen Gibbons & Stephen Machin, 2004.
"Valuing rail access using transport innovations,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
19989, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Dean H. Gatzlaff & Marc T. Smith, 1993. "The Impact of the Miami Metrorail on the Value of Residences near Station Locations," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 69(1), pages 54-66.
- Bowes, David R. & Ihlanfeldt, Keith R., 2001. "Identifying the Impacts of Rail Transit Stations on Residential Property Values," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, July.
- John D. Benjamin & G. Stacy Sirmans, 1996. "Mass Transportation, Apartment Rent and Property Values," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 12(1), pages 1-8.
- Ghebreegziabiher Debrezion & Eric Pels & Piet Rietveld, 2007.
"The Impact of Railway Stations on Residential and Commercial Property Value: A Meta-analysis,"
The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics,
Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 161-180, August.
- Ghebreegziabiher Debrezion & Eric Pels & Piet Rietveld, 2004. "The Impact of Railway Stations on Residential and Commercial Property Value: a Meta Analysis," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-023/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- M. Ruth & K. Donaghy & P. Kirshen, 2006. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Regional Climate Change and Variability, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Grether, David M. & Mieszkowski, P., .
"Determinants of Real Estate Values,"
28, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Coulson, N. Edward & McMillen, Daniel P., 2008. "Estimating time, age and vintage effects in housing prices," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 138-151, June.
- Claudio A. Agostini & Gastón A. Palmucci, 2008. "The Anticipated Capitalisation Effect of a New Metro Line on Housing Prices," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 29(2), pages 233-256, 06.
- Voith Richard, 1993.
"Changing Capitalization of CBD-Oriented Transportation Systems: Evidence from Philadelphia, 1970-1988,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 361-376, May.
- Richard Voith, 1991. "Changing capitalization of CBD-oriented transportation systems: evidence from Philadelphia, 1970-1988," Working Papers 91-19, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- McDonald, John F. & Osuji, Clifford I., 1995. "The effect of anticipated transportation improvement on residential land values," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 261-278, June.
- Ong, Paul M. & Houston, Douglas, 2002. "Transit, Employment and Women on Welfare," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt3287s046, University of California Transportation Center.
- Daniel P. McMillen & John McDonald, 2004. "Reaction of House Prices to a New Rapid Transit Line: Chicago's Midway Line, 1983-1999," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 32(3), pages 463-486, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:jtralu:0082. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Arlene Mathison)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.