Residential Property Price Indexes for Tokyo
The paper uses hedonic regression techniques in order to decompose the price of a house into land and structure components using real estate sales data for Tokyo. In order to get sensible results, a nonlinear regression model using data that covered multiple time periods was used. Collinearity between the amount of land and structure in each residential property leads to inaccurate estimates for the land and structure value of a property. This collinearity problem was solved by using exogenous information on the rate of growth of construction costs in Tokyo in order to get useful constant quality subindexes for the price of land and structures separately.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1 Naka, Kunitachi City, Tokyo 186|
Web page: http://www.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ivancic, Lorraine & Erwin Diewert, W. & Fox, Kevin J., 2011.
"Scanner data, time aggregation and the construction of price indexes,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 161(1), pages 24-35, March.
- Diewert, Erwin & Fox, Kevin J. & Ivancic, Lorraine, 2009. "Scanner Data, Time Aggregation and the Construction of Price Indexes," Economics working papers erwin_diewert-2009-48, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 22 Sep 2009.
- W. Erwin DIEWERT & Jan de HAAN & Rens HENDRIKS, 2011. "The Decomposition of a House Price Index into Land and Structures Components: A Hedonic Regression Approach," The Valuation Journal, National Association of Romanian Valuers, vol. 6(1), pages 58-105.
- de Haan, Jan & Diewert, Erwin & Hendriks, Rens, 2010. "The Decomposition of a House Price index into Land and Structures Components: A Hedonic Regression Approach," Economics working papers erwin_diewert-2010-1, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 13 Jul 2010.
- Davis, Morris A. & Heathcote, Jonathan, 2007. "The price and quantity of residential land in the United States," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(8), pages 2595-2620, November.
- Jonathan Heathcote & Morris Davis, 2004. "The Price and Quantity of Residential Land in the United States," 2004 Meeting Papers 32, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Morris A. Davis & Jonathan Heathcote, 2004. "The price and quantity of residential land in the United States," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2004-37, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Davis, Morris & Heathcote, Jonathan, 2005. "The Price and Quantity of Residential Land in the United States," CEPR Discussion Papers 5333, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gyourko, Joseph & Saiz, Albert, 2004. "Reinvestment in the housing stock: the role of construction costs and the supply side," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 238-256, March.
- W. Erwin Diewert & John S. Greenlees & Charles R. Hulten, 2009. "Price Index Concepts and Measurement," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number diew08-1, June.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Eurostat, 2013. "Handbook on Residential Property Prices Indices," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 17280, September.
- Taltavull Paloma & Kauko Tom & d'Amato Maurizio, 2009. "Mass Appraisal Methods: An International Perspective for Property Valuers," International Journal of Strategic Property Management, De Gruyter Open, vol. 13(4), pages 359-364, December.
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
- Clapp, John M., 1980. "The elasticity of substitution for land: The effects of measurement errors," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 255-263, September.
- Chihiro Shimizu & Kiyohiko Nishimura, 2007. "Pricing Structure in Tokyo Metropolitan Land Markets and its Structural Changes: Pre-bubble, Bubble, and Post-bubble Periods," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 475-496, November.
- McMillen, Daniel P., 2003. "The return of centralization to Chicago: using repeat sales to identify changes in house price distance gradients," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 287-304, May.
- Schwann, Gregory M, 1998. "A Real Estate Price Index for Thin Markets," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 269-287, May.
- Thorsnes, Paul, 1997. "Consistent Estimates of the Elasticity of Substitution between Land and Non-Land Inputs in the Production of Housing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 98-108, July.
- Raphael W. Bostic & Stanley D. Longhofer & Christian L. Redfearn, 2007. "Land Leverage: Decomposing Home Price Dynamics," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 35(2), pages 183-208, 06.
- Shimizu Chihiro & Nishimura Kiyohiko G. & Watanabe Tsutomu, 2010. "Housing Prices in Tokyo: A Comparison of Hedonic and Repeat Sales Measures," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), De Gruyter, vol. 230(6), pages 792-813, December.
- Marc K. Francke & Gerjan A. Vos, 2004. "The Hierarchical Trend Model for Property Valuation and Local Price Indices," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 28(2_3), pages 179-208, 03. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)