Hedonic Regression Models for Tokyo Condominium Sales
The paper fits a hedonic regression model to the sales of condominium units in Tokyo over the period 2000-2015. The problem is complicated by the need to decompose the selling price of a unit into a component that can be attributed to the structure area of the unit and another component that can be attributed to the unitâ€™s share of land value. There is very little information on the value of condominium land and so this paper develops a methodology for reducing this knowledge gap. The paper extends the builderâ€™s model which was developed in Eurostat (2013). Characteristics which prove to be important in explaining condominium prices are: the floor space area of the unit, the total land area of the building, the number of units in the building, the total number of stories in the building, the height of the sold unit, the age of the structure and the amount of excess land. The paper also derives an estimate for the annual geometric structure depreciation rate for condominiums in Tokyo.
|Date of creation:||05 Jan 2016|
|Date of revision:||05 Jan 2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.economics.ubc.ca/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- W. Erwin DIEWERT & Jan de HAAN & Rens HENDRIKS, 2011.
"The Decomposition of a House Price Index into Land and Structures Components: A Hedonic Regression Approach,"
The Valuation Journal,
National Association of Romanian Valuers, vol. 6(1), pages 58-105.
- de Haan, Jan & Diewert, Erwin & Hendriks, Rens, 2010. "The Decomposition of a House Price index into Land and Structures Components: A Hedonic Regression Approach," Economics working papers erwin_diewert-2010-1, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 13 Jul 2010.
- Diewert, Erwin, 2007. "The Paris OECD-IMF Workshop on Real Estate Price Indexes: Conclusions and Future Directions," Economics working papers diewert-07-01-03-08-12-12, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 31 Jan 2007.
- Albert Saiz, 2010. "The Geographic Determinants of Housing Supply," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 125(3), pages 1253-1296.
- Diewert, Erwin & Shimizu, Chihiro, 2015. "Residential Property Price Indices For Tokyo," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(08), pages 1659-1714, December.
- Diewert, Erwin & Shimizu, Chihiro, 2013. "Residential Property Price Indexes for Tokyo," Economics working papers erwin_diewert-2013-16, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 11 Apr 2013.
- Diewert, Erwin & Shimizu, Chihiro, 2013. "Residential Property Price Indexes for Tokyo," HIT-REFINED Working Paper Series 3, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Richard F. Muth, 1971. "The Derived Demand for Urban Residential Land," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 8(3), pages 243-254, October.
- Eurostat, 2013. "Handbook on Residential Property Prices Indices," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 17280, September.
- W. Erwin Diewert & Jan de Haan & Rens Hendriks, 2015. "Hedonic Regressions and the Decomposition of a House Price Index into Land and Structure Components," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(1-2), pages 106-126, February.
- de Haan, Jan & Diewert, Erwin & Hendriks, Rens, 2011. "Hedonic Regressions and the Decomposition of a House Price index into Land and Structure Components," Economics working papers erwin_diewert-2011-8, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 05 Apr 2011.
- Taltavull Paloma & Kauko Tom & d'Amato Maurizio, 2009. "Mass Appraisal Methods: An International Perspective for Property Valuers," International Journal of Strategic Property Management, De Gruyter Open, vol. 13(4), pages 359-364, December.
- Davis, Morris A. & Palumbo, Michael G., 2008. "The price of residential land in large US cities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 352-384, January.
- Morris A. Davis & Michael G. Palumbo, 2006. "The price of residential land in large U.S. cities," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2006-25, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Shimizu, Chihiro & Nishimura, Kiyohiko G. & Watanabe, Tsutomu, 2016. "House prices at different stages of the buying/selling process," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 37-53.
- Clapp, John M., 1980. "The elasticity of substitution for land: The effects of measurement errors," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 255-263, September.
- Jing Wu & Yongheng Deng & Hongyu Liu, 2014. "House Price Index Construction in the Nascent Housing Market: The Case of China," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 48(3), pages 522-545, April.
- Kok, Nils & Monkkonen, Paavo & Quigley, John M., 2014. "Land use regulations and the value of land and housing: An intra-metropolitan analysis," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(C), pages 136-148.
- Schwann, Gregory M, 1998. "A Real Estate Price Index for Thin Markets," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 269-287, May.
- Raphael W. Bostic & Stanley D. Longhofer & Christian L. Redfearn, 2007. "Land Leverage: Decomposing Home Price Dynamics," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 35(2), pages 183-208, 06.
- Deng, Yongheng & McMillen, Daniel P. & Sing, Tien Foo, 2012. "Private residential price indices in Singapore: A matching approach," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 485-494. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ubc:pmicro:erwin_diewert-2016-1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maureen Chin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.