Boom-bust cycles, imbalances and discipline in Europe
The fallout from the 2008 financial crisis has been particularly acute in the euro area Member States of the south-western rim and in the new EU Member States, due to their previously accumulated macroeconomic and financial imbalances. The perception that the euro environment provided a solid shield against economic instability shaped the incentives, expectations and actions of agents, markets and policymakers. This, in turn, eroded discipline at all levels: EU-wide surveillance, domestic policies and markets. The empirical analysis of this paper, focused on market discipline, shows that before the crisis credit risk premia neglected fiscal imbalances and hardly reflected external or financial imbalances, in particular in advanced economies. This result is partly explained by the masking effect of the expansionary phase on underlying imbalances. The crisis has shattered the perception of the euro as a safe haven for economic stability, where imbalances do not matter. Moreover, the severity of the crisis has uncovered the fragilities of the institutional framework underpinning the euro and is leading to its reinforcement by means of stronger economic governance and surveillance. Going forward, however, a further two factors may exert a greater impact on the future discipline and stability of the European economies: i) more stringent financing conditions by markets, contingent on fundamentals, although there are doubts on the persistence of this discipline in future expansionary phases; and, above all ii) domestic policymaking conduct that is consistent with the constraints that EMU entails. These three forces could settle the European integration process and EMU on a more solid footing, although the jury is still out.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ericsson, Jan & Jacobs, Kris & Oviedo-Helfenberger, Rodolfo, 2004.
"The Determinants of Credit Default Swap Premia,"
SIFR Research Report Series
32, Institute for Financial Research.
- Enrique Alberola & Luis Molina & Daniel Navia, 2005.
"Say You Fix, Enjoy And Relax The Deleterious Effect Of Peg Announcements On Fiscal Discipline,"
- Enrique Alberola & Luis Molina & Daniel Navia, 2005. "Say you fix, enjoy and relax: the deleterious effect of peg announcements on fiscal discipline," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0523, Banco de Espa�a.
- Joshua Aizenman & Michael M. Hutchison & Yothin Jinjarak, 2011.
"What is the Risk of European Sovereign Debt Defaults? Fiscal Space, CDS Spreads and Market Pricing of Risk,"
NBER Working Papers
17407, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Hutchison, Michael & Jinjarak, Yothin, 2013. "What is the risk of European sovereign debt defaults? Fiscal space, CDS spreads and market pricing of risk," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 37-59.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Hutchison, Michael & Jinjarak, Yothin, 2011. "What is the Risk of European Sovereign Debt Defaults? Fiscal Space, CDS Spreads and Market Pricing of Risk," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt2914v9fh, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Sonsoles Gallego & Sándor Gardó & Reiner Martin & Luis Molina & José María Serena, 2010. "The Impact of the Global Economic and Financial Crisis on Central Eastern and SouthEastern Europe (CESEE) and Latin America," Banco de Espa�a Occasional Papers 1002, Banco de Espa�a.
- Ioannou, Demosthenes & Stracca, Livio, 2011. "Have euro area and EU economic governance worked? Just the facts," Working Paper Series 1344, European Central Bank.
- Simone Manganelli & Guido Wolswijk, 2009. "What drives spreads in the euro area government bond market?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 24, pages 191-240, 04.
- Jorge A. Chan-Lau & Yoon Sook Kim, 2004. "Equity Prices, Credit Default Swaps, and Bond Spreads in Emerging Markets," IMF Working Papers 04/27, International Monetary Fund.
- Bernoth, Kerstin & von Hagen, Jürgen & Schuknecht, Ludger, 2003.
"Sovereign risk premia in the European government bond market,"
ZEI Working Papers
B 26-2003, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Bernoth, Kerstin & von Hagen, Jürgen & Schuknecht, Ludger, 2004. "Sovereign risk premia in the European government bond market," Working Paper Series 0369, European Central Bank.
- Laura Jaramillo & Anke Weber, 2012.
"Bond Yields in Emerging Economies: It Matters What State You Are In,"
IMF Working Papers
12/198, International Monetary Fund.
- Jaramillo, Laura & Weber, Anke, 2013. "Bond yields in emerging economies: It matters what state you are in," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(C), pages 169-185.
- International Monetary Fund, 2005. "Adopting the Euro in Central Europe: Challenges of the Next Step in European Integration," IMF Occasional Papers 234, International Monetary Fund.
- Eli M Remolona & Michela Scatigna & Eliza Wu, 2007. "Interpreting sovereign spreads," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Schuknecht, Ludger & von Hagen, Jürgen & Wolswijk, Guido, 2009.
"Government Bond Risk Premiums in the EU revisited: The Impact of the Financial Crisis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7499, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- von Hagen, Jürgen & Schuknecht, Ludger & Wolswijk, Guido, 2011. "Government bond risk premiums in the EU revisited: The impact of the financial crisis," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 36-43, March.
- Schuknecht, Ludger & von Hagen, Jürgen & Wolswijk, Guido, 2010. "Government bond risk premiums in the EU revisited: the impact of the financial crisis," Working Paper Series 1152, European Central Bank.
- Miguel A. Segoviano Basurto & Carlos Caceres & Vincenzo Guzzo, 2010. "Sovereign Spreads: Global Risk Aversion, Contagion or Fundamentals?," IMF Working Papers 10/120, International Monetary Fund.
- Andrew Powell & Juan F. Martinez S., 2008. "On Emerging Economy Sovereign Spreads and Ratings," Research Department Publications 4565, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Salvador Barrios & Per Iversen & Magdalena Lewandowska & Ralph Setzer, 2009. "Determinants of intra-euro area government bond spreads during the financial crisis," European Economy - Economic Papers 388, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Gros, Daniel, 2011. "External versus Domestic Debt in the Euro Crisis," CEPS Papers 5677, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Gros, Daniel & Alcidi, Cinzia, 2011.
"Adjustment Difficulties and Debt Overhangs in the Eurozone Periphery,"
5525, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Daniel Gros & Cianzia Alcidi, 2011. "Adjustment Difficulties and Debt Overhangs in the Eurozone Periphery," Working Papers LuissLab 1192, Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza, LUISS Guido Carli.
- C. Emre Alper & Lorenzo Forni & Marc Gerard, 2013.
"Pricing of Sovereign Credit Risk: Evidence from Advanced Economies during the Financial Crisis,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(2), pages 161-188, 06.
- C. Emre Alper & Lorenzo Forni & Marc Gerard, 2012. "Pricing of Sovereign Credit Risk: Evidence From Advanced Economies During the Financial Crisis," IMF Working Papers 12/24, International Monetary Fund.
- Ioana Alexopoulou & Irina Bunda & Annalisa Ferrando, 2010.
"Determinants of Government Bond Spreads in New EU Countries,"
Eastern European Economics,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 48(5), pages 5-37, September.
- Alexopoulou, Ioana & Bunda, Irina & Ferrando, Annalisa, 2009. "Determinants of government bond spreads in new EU countries," Working Paper Series 1093, European Central Bank.
- Plank, Thomas J., 2010. "Do Macro-economic Fundamentals Price Sovereign CDS Spreads of Emerging Economies?," Working Papers 10-5, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bde:wpaper:1220. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mar�a Beiro. Electronic Dissemination of Information Unit. Research Department. Banco de Espa�a)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.