What is the Risk of European Sovereign Debt Defaults? Fiscal Space, CDS Spreads and Market Pricing of Risk
We estimate the pricing of sovereign risk for sixty countries based on fiscal space (debt/tax;deficits/tax) and other economic fundamentals over 2005-10. We measure how accurately themodel predicts sovereign credit default swap (CDS) spreads, focusing in particular on the fivecountries in the South-West Eurozone Periphery (Greece, Ireland, Italy, Portugal, and Spain).Dynamic panel estimates of the model suggest that fiscal space and other macroeconomic factorsare statistically significant and economically important determinants of market-based sovereignrisk. Although the explanatory power of fiscal space measures drop during the crisis, the TEDspread, trade openness, external debt and inflation play a larger role. As expectations of marketvolatility jumped during the crisis, the weakly concavity of creditorsâ€™ payoff probably accountsfor the emergence of TED spread as a key pricing factor. However, risk-pricing of the South-West Eurozone Periphery countries is not predicted accurately by the model either in-sample orout-of-sample: unpredicted high spreads are evident during global crisis period, especially in2010 when the sovereign debt crisis swept over the periphery area. We â€œmatchâ€ the peripherygroup with five middle income countries outside Europe that were closest in terms of fiscal spaceduring the European fiscal crisis. We find that Eurozone periphery default risk is priced muchhigher than the â€œmatchedâ€ countries in 2010, even allowing for differences in fundamentals. Oneinterpretation is that the market has mispriced risk in the Eurozone periphery. An alternativeinterpretation is that the market is pricing not on current fundamentals but future fundamentals,expecting the periphery fiscal space to deteriorate markedly and posing a high risk of debtrestructuring. Adjustment challenges of the Eurozone periphery may be perceived aseconomically and politically more difficult than the matched group of middle income countriesbecause of exchange rate and monetary constraints.
|Date of creation:||03 Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Santa Cruz, CA 95064|
Phone: (831) 459-2743
Fax: (831) 459-5077
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/ucscecon/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francis A. Longstaff & Jun Pan & Lasse H. Pedersen & Kenneth J. Singleton, 2011.
"How Sovereign Is Sovereign Credit Risk?,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 3(2), pages 75-103, April.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1996.
"Models of currency crises with self-fulfilling features,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 1037-1047, April.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1996. "Models of Currency Crises with Self-fulfilling Features," CEPR Discussion Papers 1315, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1995. "Models of Currency Crises with Self-Fulfilling Features," NBER Working Papers 5285, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Kiff & Jennifer A. Elliott & Elias G. Kazarian & Jodi G. Scarlata & Carolyne Spackman, 2009. "Credit Derivatives; Systemic Risks and Policy Options?," IMF Working Papers 09/254, International Monetary Fund.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Marion, Nancy, 2002.
"Reserve Uncertainty and the Supply of International Credit,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(3), pages 631-49, August.
- Joshua Aizenman & Nancy Marion, 1999. "Reserve Uncertainty and the Supply of International Credit," NBER Working Papers 7202, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fontana, Alessandro & Scheicher, Martin, 2010.
"An analysis of euro area sovereign CDS and their relation with government bonds,"
Working Paper Series
1271, European Central Bank.
- Fontana, Alessandro & Scheicher, Martin, 2016. "An analysis of euro area sovereign CDS and their relation with government bonds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 62(C), pages 126-140.
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983.
"Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-19, June.
- Michael P. Dooley & Michael M. Hutchison, 2009.
"Transmission of the U.S. Subprime Crisis to Emerging Markets: Evidence on the Decoupling-Recoupling Hypothesis,"
NBER Working Papers
15120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dooley, Michael & Hutchison, Michael, 2009. "Transmission of the U.S. subprime crisis to emerging markets: Evidence on the decoupling-recoupling hypothesis," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1331-1349, December.
- Joshua Aizenman & Yothin Jinjarak, 2012.
"The Fiscal Stimulus of 2009-2010: Trade Openness, Fiscal Space, and Exchange Rate Adjustment,"
NBER International Seminar on Macroeconomics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(1), pages 301 - 342.
- Joshua Aizenman & Yothin Jinjarak, 2011. "The Fiscal Stimulus of 2009-2010: Trade Openness, Fiscal Space, and Exchange Rate Adjustment," NBER Chapters, in: NBER International Seminar on Macroeconomics 2011, pages 301-342 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marian Micu & Eli M Remolona & Philip D. Wooldridge, 2006. "The price impact of rating announcements: which announcements matter?," BIS Working Papers 207, Bank for International Settlements.
- Alessandro Beber & Michael W. Brandt & Kenneth A. Kavajecz, 2009.
"Flight-to-Quality or Flight-to-Liquidity? Evidence from the Euro-Area Bond Market,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(3), pages 925-957, March.
- Alessandro Beber & Michael W. Brandt & Kenneth A. Kavajecz, 2006. "Flight-to-Quality or Flight-to-Liquidity? Evidence From the Euro-Area Bond Market," NBER Working Papers 12376, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Cecchetti & Madhusudan Mohanty & Fabrizio Zampolli, 2010. "The future of public debt: prospects and implications," BIS Working Papers 300, Bank for International Settlements.
- Frank Packer & Chamaree Suthiphongchai, 2003. "Sovereign credit default swaps," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
- Calvo, Guillermo A, 1988. "Servicing the Public Debt: The Role of Expectations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 647-61, September.
- Antje Berndt & Iulian Obreja, 2010. "Decomposing European CDS Returns," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 14(2), pages 189-233.
- Sergio Mayordomo & Juan Ignacio Peña & Eduardo S. Schwartz, 2010.
"Are all Credit Default Swap Databases Equal?,"
NBER Working Papers
16590, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffery D Amato, 2005. "Risk aversion and risk premia in the CDS market," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
- John Ammer & Fang Cai, 2007. "Sovereign CDS and bond pricing dynamics in emerging markets: does the cheapest-to-deliver option matter?," International Finance Discussion Papers 912, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:ucscec:qt2914v9fh. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.