Flight-to-Quality or Flight-to-Liquidity? Evidence from the Euro-Area Bond Market
Do bond investors demand credit quality or liquidity? The answer is both, but at different times and for different reasons. Using data on the Euro-area government bond market, which features a unique negative correlation between credit quality and liquidity across countries, we show that the bulk of sovereign yield spreads is explained by differences in credit quality, though liquidity plays a nontrivial role, especially for low credit risk countries and during times of heightened market uncertainty. In contrast, the destination of large flows into the bond market is determined almost exclusively by liquidity. We conclude that credit quality matters for bond valuation but that, in times of market stress, investors chase liquidity, not credit quality. The Author 2008. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of The Society for Financial Studies. All rights reserved. For Permissions, please email: email@example.com, Oxford University Press.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 22 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.|
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www4.oup.co.uk/revfin/subinfo/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter G. Dunne & Michael J. Moore & Richard Portes, 2002.
"Defining Benchmark Status: An Application using Euro-Area Bonds,"
NBER Working Papers
9087, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dunne, Peter & Moore, Michael J & Portes, Richard, 2002. "Defining Benchmark Status: An Application using Euro-Area Bonds," CEPR Discussion Papers 3490, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luboš Pástor & Robert F. Stambaugh, .
"Liquidity Risk and Expected Stock Returns,"
CRSP working papers
531, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Lubos Pastor & Robert F. Stambaugh, 2001. "Liquidity Risk and Expected Stock Returns," NBER Working Papers 8462, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pástor, Luboš & Stambaugh, Robert F., 2002. "Liquidity Risk and Expected Stock Returns," CEPR Discussion Papers 3494, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Acharya, Viral V & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2003.
"Asset Pricing with Liquidity Risk,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3749, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dimitri Vayanos, 2004.
"Flight to Quality, Flight to Liquidity, and the Pricing of Risk,"
NBER Working Papers
10327, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dimitri Vayanos, 2004. "Flight to quality, flight to liquidity, and the pricing of risk," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 456, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Nelson, Charles R & Siegel, Andrew F, 1987. "Parsimonious Modeling of Yield Curves," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(4), pages 473-89, October.
- Francis A. Longstaff & Sanjay Mithal & Eric Neis, 2004.
"Corporate Yield Spreads: Default Risk or Liquidity? New Evidence from the Credit-Default Swap Market,"
NBER Working Papers
10418, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francis A. Longstaff & Sanjay Mithal & Eric Neis, 2005. "Corporate Yield Spreads: Default Risk or Liquidity? New Evidence from the Credit Default Swap Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(5), pages 2213-2253, October.
- repec:spr:pharme:v:22:y:2004:i:4:p:225-244 is not listed on IDEAS
- Darrell Duffie & Lasse Heje Pedersen & Kenneth J. Singleton, 2003. "Modeling Sovereign Yield Spreads: A Case Study of Russian Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(1), pages 119-159, 02.
- Amihud, Yakov & Mendelson, Haim, 1986. "Asset pricing and the bid-ask spread," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 223-249, December.
- Pierre Collin-Dufresne, 2001. "The Determinants of Credit Spread Changes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(6), pages 2177-2207, December.
- Duffie, Darrell & Huang, Ming, 1996. " Swap Rates and Credit Quality," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(3), pages 921-49, July.
- Jan ERICSSON & Olivier RENAULT, 2001.
"Liquidity and Credit Risk,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp42, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Roberto Blanco & Simon Brennan & Ian W Marsh, 2004.
"An empirical analysis of the dynamic relationship between investment-grade bonds and credit default swaps,"
Bank of England working papers
211, Bank of England.
- Roberto Blanco & Simon Brennan & Ian W. Marsh, 2004. "An empirical analysis of the dynamic relationship between investment grade bonds and credit default swaps," Working Papers 0401, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Chordia, Tarun & Roll, Richard & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 2000. "Commonality in liquidity," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 3-28, April.
- Roberto Blanco & Simon Brennan & Ian W. Marsh, 2005. "An Empirical Analysis of the Dynamic Relation between Investment-Grade Bonds and Credit Default Swaps," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(5), pages 2255-2281, October.
- Menkveld, Albert J. & Cheung, Yiu Chung & de Jong, Frank, 2004. "Euro area sovereign yield dynamics: the role of order imbalance," Working Paper Series 0385, European Central Bank.
- McCauley, Robert Neil, 2002. "Panel: Implications of Declining Treasury Debt: International Market Implications of Declining Treasury Debt," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(3), pages 952-66, August.
- Cheung, Yiu Chung & de Jong, Frank & Rindi, Barbara, 2005.
"Trading European sovereign bonds: the microstructure of the MTS trading platforms,"
Working Paper Series
0432, European Central Bank.
- Cheung, Yiu Chung & de Jong, Frank & Rindi, Barbara, 2004. "Trading European Sovereign Bonds: The Microstructure of the MTS Trading Platforms," CEPR Discussion Papers 4285, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Connolly, Robert & Stivers, Chris & Sun, Licheng, 2005. "Stock Market Uncertainty and the Stock-Bond Return Relation," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(01), pages 161-194, March.
- Hull, John & Predescu, Mirela & White, Alan, 2004. "The relationship between credit default swap spreads, bond yields, and credit rating announcements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(11), pages 2789-2811, November.
- Lorenzo Codogno & Carlo Favero & Alessandro Missale, 2003. "Yield spreads on EMU government bonds," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 18(37), pages 503-532, October.
- Carlo Favero & Marco Pagano & Ernst-Ludwig von Thadden, 2005. "Valutation, Liquidity and Risk in Government Bond Markets," Working Papers 281, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:rfinst:v:22:y:2009:i:3:p:925-957. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.