“Decomposing the Rural-Urban Differential in Student Achievement in Colombia Using PISA Microdata”
Despite the large number of studies that draw on Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) microdata in their analyses of the determinants of educational outcomes, no more than a few consider the relevance of geographical location. In going some way to rectify this, our paper examines the differences in educational outcomes between students attending schools in rural areas and those enrolled in urban schools. We use microdata from the 2006 and 2009 PISA survey waves for Colombia. The Colombian case is particularly interesting in this regard due to the structural changes suffered by the country in recent years, both in terms of its political stability and of the educational reform measures introduced. Our descriptive analysis of the data shows that the educational outcomes of rural students are worse than those of urban students. In order to identify the factors underpinning this differential, we use the Oaxaca-Blinder decomposition and then exploit the time variation in the data using the methodology proposed by Juhn-Murphy-Pierce. Our results show that most of the differential is attributable to family characteristics as opposed to those of the school. From a policy perspective, our evidence supports actions addressed at improving conditions in the family rather than measures of positive discrimination of rural schools.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2012|
|Date of revision:||Mar 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Torre IV, Av. Diagonal 690, 08034 Barcelona|
Web page: http://www.ub.edu/aqr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric A. Hanushek & John F. Kain & Jacob M. Markman & Steven G. Rivkin, 2001.
"Does Peer Ability Affect Student Achievement?,"
NBER Working Papers
8502, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alejandra Mizala & Pilar Romaguera, 2000. "School Performance and Choice: The Chilean Experience," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 35(2), pages 392-417.
- Eric A. Hanushek, 2003.
"The Failure of Input-Based Schooling Policies,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(485), pages F64-F98, February.
- Alan B. Krueger, 2003.
"Economic Considerations and Class Size,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(485), pages F34-F63, February.
- Behrman, Jere R., 2010. "Investment in Education Inputs and Incentives," Handbook of Development Economics, Elsevier.
- Alejandro GAVIRIA, Jorge Hugo BARRIENTOS & Jorge Hugo BARRIENTOS, 2001. "Determinantes de la calidad de la educación en Colombia," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÍA 002301, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Juhn, Chinhui & Murphy, Kevin M & Pierce, Brooks, 1993. "Wage Inequality and the Rise in Returns to Skill," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(3), pages 410-442, June.
- Alejandro Gaviria Uribe & Jorge Hugo Barrientos M., 2001. "Calidad de la educación y rendimiento académico en Bogotá," COYUNTURA SOCIAL 012957, FEDESARROLLO.
- Hanushek, Eric A. & Luque, Javier A., 2003.
"Efficiency and equity in schools around the world,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 481-502, October.
- Martins, Lurdes & Veiga, Paula, 2010. "Do inequalities in parents' education play an important role in PISA students' mathematics achievement test score disparities?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 1016-1033, December.
- Hakkinen, Iida & Kirjavainen, Tanja & Uusitalo, Roope, 2003. "School resources and student achievement revisited: new evidence from panel data," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 329-335, June.
- Meunier, Muriel, 2011. "Immigration and student achievement: Evidence from Switzerland," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 16-38, February.
- Smith, Jeremy & Naylor, Robin, 2005.
"Schooling effects on subsequent university performance: evidence for the UK university population,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 549-562, October.
- Naylor, Robin & Smith, Jeremy, 2002. "Schooling Effects On Subsequent University Performance : Evidence For The Uk University Population," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 657, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Lonnie Stevans & David Sessions, 2000. "Private/Public School Choice and Student Performance Revisited," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 169-184.
- Fertig, Michael, 2003. "Who's to Blame? The Determinants of German Students' Achievement in the PISA 2000 Study," IZA Discussion Papers 739, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ronelle Burger, 2011. "School effectiveness in Zambia: The origins of differences between rural and urban outcomes," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(2), pages 157-176.
- Ibáñez, Ana Maria & Vélez, Carlos Eduardo, 2008. "Civil Conflict and Forced Migration: The Micro Determinants and Welfare Losses of Displacement in Colombia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 659-676, April.
- Andreas Ammermüller, 2004.
"PISA : what makes the difference?,"
Working Papers of the Research Group Heterogenous Labor
04-07, Research Group Heterogeneous Labor, University of Konstanz/ZEW Mannheim.
- Vandenberghe, V. & Robin, S., 2004. "Evaluating the effectiveness of private education across countries: a comparison of methods," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 487-506, August.
- William Sander, 1996. "Catholic Grade Schools and Academic Achievement," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 31(3), pages 540-548.
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Chiswick, Barry R. & DebBurman, Noyna, 2004.
"Educational attainment: analysis by immigrant generation,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 361-379, August.
- Chiswick, Barry R. & DebBurman, Noyna, 2003. "Educational Attainment: Analysis by Immigrant Generation," IZA Discussion Papers 731, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Richard Barnett & J. Colin Glass & Roger Snowdon & Karl Stringer, 2002. "Size, Performance and Effectiveness: Cost-Constrained Measures of Best-Practice Performance and Secondary-School Size," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 291-311.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aqr:wpaper:201210. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibiana Barnadas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.