Publishing in The Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy and an Evaluation (via Citation Counts) of JRAP’s Influence on Scholarship in Regional Science
In this paper we provide an analysis of publishing in The Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy and we attempt, through extensive citation counts, to determine the relative influence and importance of both the journal and the authors who have published in JRAP. Much of this information updates the work of an earlier paper (2001) by David Marcouiller and Steve Deller, who were editors of the journal at the time they wrote. We present tables to show multiple authorship and the affiliations of all authors publishing in the journal since it’s inception, and other information of that nature. What is new here is the citation analyses which were made possible by the recently constructed website “Google Scholar”. Using this website we were able to determine which were the most cited papers in JRAP and were also able to list the journals and books from which the citations to the most cited papers came. We found that, while JRAP is not heavily cited, there were more than 400 origins of citations to those papers in the journal that were cited 25 or more times. We also found total citations to multiple authors, with several having 2000 or more and two having more than 6000. We listed and discussed some of the most important papers, some with hundreds of cites, that were published elsewhere by JRAP authors. Our conclusion is that JRAP has had a considerable influence on regional science, primarily through the importance of bodies of work of those who have published in the journal. Finally, as Marcouiller and Deller noted in their 2001 paper, there is still a need to encourage highly influential regional scientists to participate in the various activities of the MCRSA and to submit papers to JRAP. Key Words:
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.business.appstate.edu/departments/economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephan J. Goetz & Hema Swaminathan, 2006. "Wal-Mart and County-Wide Poverty," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 87(2), pages 211-226.
- Galster, George, 2002. "An economic efficiency analysis of deconcentrating poverty populations," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 303-329, December.
- Mark Casson, 2010. "Entrepreneurship," Books, Edward Elgar, number 13894.
- Mark Partridge & Dan Rickman, 1997. "The Dispersion of US State Unemployment Rates: The Role of Market and Non-market Equilibrium Factors," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(6), pages 593-606.
- Goetz, Stephan J. & Partridge, Mark D. & Deller, Steven C. & Fleming, David A., 2010. "Evaluating U.S. Rural Entrepreneurship Policy," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 40(1).
- Kula, E., 2002. "Regional Welfare Weights in Investment Appraisal - The Case of India," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 32(1).
- Apergis, Nicholas & Payne, James E., 2009. "Energy consumption and economic growth in Central America: Evidence from a panel cointegration and error correction model," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 211-216.
- Mark D. Partridge & Dan S. Rickman, 1998. "Regional Computable General Equilibrium Modeling: A Survey and Critical Appraisal," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 21(3), pages 205-248, December.
- Anil Rupasingha & Stephan J. Goetz & David Freshwater, 2002. "Social and institutional factors as determinants of economic growth: Evidence from the United States counties," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 81(2), pages 139-155.
- George Galster, 2007. "Neighbourhood Social Mix as a Goal of Housing Policy: A Theoretical Analysis," European Journal of Housing Policy, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 19-43.
- James E. Anderson & Douglas Marcouiller, 2002.
"Insecurity And The Pattern Of Trade: An Empirical Investigation,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 342-352, May.
- James E. Anderson & Douglas Marcouiller, S.J., 1999. "Insecurity and the Pattern of Trade: An Empirical Investigation," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 418, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 03 Aug 2000.
- John A. List & Robert P. Berrens & Alok K. Bohara & Joe Kerkvliet, 2004. "Examining the Role of Social Isolation on Stated Preferences," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 741-752, June.
- Lim, Up, 2003. "The Spatial Distribution of Innovative Activity in U.S. Metropolitan Areas: Evidence from Patent Data," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 33(2).
- Steven C. Deller & Tsung-Hsiu (Sue) Tsai & David W. Marcouiller & Donald B.K. English, 2001. "The Role of Amenities and Quality of Life In Rural Economic Growth," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 352-365.
- George Galster, 1988. "Residential segregation in American cities: A contrary review," Population Research and Policy Review, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 93-112, May.
- Reynolds, Paul D & Miller, Brenda & Maki, Wilbur R, 1995. " Explaining Regional Variation in Business Births and Deaths: U.S. 1976-88," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 7(5), pages 389-407, October.
- George Galster, 2007. "Neighbourhood Social Mix as a Goal of Housing Policy: A Theoretical Analysis," International Journal of Housing Policy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 19-43.
- Stephan J. Goetz & David L. Debertin, 2001. "Why Farmers Quit: A County-Level Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 1010-1023.
- Payne, James E., 2009. "On the dynamics of energy consumption and output in the US," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(4), pages 575-577, April.
- James E. Payne, 2010. "Survey of the international evidence on the causal relationship between energy consumption and growth," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(1), pages 53-95, January.
- Sauer, Christine & Bohara, Alok K, 2001. "Exchange Rate Volatility and Exports: Regional Differences between Developing and Industrialized Countries," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 133-52, February.
- Apergis, Nicholas & Payne, James E., 2010. "Renewable energy consumption and economic growth: Evidence from a panel of OECD countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 656-660, January.
- Apergis, Nicholas & Payne, James E., 2009. "Energy consumption and economic growth: Evidence from the Commonwealth of Independent States," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 641-647, September.
- Rapach, David E. & Wohar, Mark E., 2002. "Testing the monetary model of exchange rate determination: new evidence from a century of data," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 359-385, December.
- Cebula, Richard J. & Alexander, Gigi M., 2006. "Determinants of Net Interstate Migration, 2000-2004," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 36(2).
- Payne, James E., 2010. "A survey of the electricity consumption-growth literature," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 723-731, March.
- John E. Wagner & Steven C. Deller, 1998. "Measuring the Effects of Economic Diversity on Growth and Stability," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 74(4), pages 541-556.
- Rapach, David E. & Wohar, Mark E., 2004. "Testing the monetary model of exchange rate determination: a closer look at panels," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 867-895, October.
- Rapach, David E. & Wohar, Mark E., 2006. "In-sample vs. out-of-sample tests of stock return predictability in the context of data mining," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 231-247, March.
- LeSage, James P., 1997. "Regression Analysis of Spatial Data," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 27(2).
- Durden, Garey C. & Knox, Hugh W., 2000. "The Southern Regional Science Association and The Review of Regional Studies: History and Characteristics," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 30(1), pages 93-114, Summer.
- Bilgic, Abdulbaki & King, Stephen A. & Lusby, Aaron K. & Schreiner, Dean F., 2002. "Estimates of U.S. Regional Commodity Trade Elasticities of Substitution," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 32(2).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:apl:wpaper:14-07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (O. Ashton Morgan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.