Cross-Price Elasticities of Demand Across 114 Countries
This report presents a simple methodology for calculating cross-price elasticities across countries, using the Frisch own-price elasticity. Cross-price elasticities are calculated for 9 major consumption categories from the 1996 International Comparison Program data across 114 countries. The consumption categories are: food, beverage, and tobacco; clothing and footwear; education; gross rent, fuel, and power; house furnishings and operations; medical care; recreation; transport and communications; and “other” items. Additionally, cross-price elasticities are calculated and reported for a two-good demand system of food and nonfood. The elasticity estimates from this report are the only available consistent cross-country cross-price elasticity estimates across such a large number of countries and consumption categories.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1400 Independence Ave.,SW, Mail Stop 1800, Washington, DC 20250-1800|
Web page: http://www.ers.usda.gov/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- von Braun, Joachim, 2007. "The world food situation: New driving forces and required actions," Food policy reports 18, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Theil, Henri & Suhm, Frederick E. & Meisner, James F., 1980. "Statistical inference in cross-country demand systems," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 383-387.
- Cranfield, J. A. L. & Preckel, Paul V. & Eales, James S. & Hertel, Thomas W., 2004. "Simultaneous estimation of an implicit directly additive demand system and the distribution of expenditure--an application of maximum entropy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 361-385, March.
- Seale, James Jr. & Walker, Wayne E. & Kim, In-Moo, 1991. "The demand for energy : Cross-country evidence using the Florida model," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 33-40, January.
- Theil, Henri & Finke, Renate, 1985. "Income and price elasticities of demand at low levels of real income," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-5.
- Suhm, Frederick E., 1979. "A cross-country analysis of Divisia covariances of prices and quantities consumed," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 287-291.
- Clements, Kenneth W & Selvanathan, Antony & Selvanathan, Saroja, 1996.
"Applied Demand Analysis: A Survey,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 72(216), pages 63-81, March.
- K.W. Clements & E.A. Selvanathan & S. Selvanathan, 1996. "Applied Demand Analysis: A survey," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 96-04, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Seale, James & Regmi, Anita & Bernstein, Jason, 2003. "International Evidence on Food Consumption Patterns," Technical Bulletins 184321, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Seale, James L., Jr. & Regmi, Anita & Bernstein, Jason, 2003. "International Evidence On Food Consumption Patterns," Technical Bulletins 33580, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Keller, W.J. & Van Driel, J., 1985. "Differential consumer demand systems," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 375-390.
- John A.L. Cranfield & Thomas W. Hertel & James S. Eales & Paul V. Preckel, 1998. "Changes in the Structure of Global Food Demand," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1042-1050.
- Cranfield, John & James Eales & Thomas W. Hertel & Paul Preckel, 1998. "Changes in the Structure of Global Food Demand," GTAP Working Papers 295, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Thomas W. Hertel & L. Alan Winters, 2006. "Poverty and the WTO : Impacts of the Doha Development Agenda," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7411, June.
- Timmer, C Peter, 1981. "Is There "Curvature" in the Slutsky Matrix?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(3), pages 395-402, August.
- Seale, James Jr. & Theil, Henri, 1987. "Extending the sample size in cross-country demand analysis," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 209-212.
- Reimer, Jeff & Hertel, Thomas, 2003. "International Cross Section Estimates of Demand for Use in the GTAP Model," GTAP Working Papers 1190, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Reimer, Jeff & Thomas Hertel, 2004. "International Cross Section Estimates of Demand for Use in the GTAP Model," GTAP Technical Papers 1647, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Theil, Henri & Seale, James Jr., 1987. "Measuring the distance between relative price vectors of different countries," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 371-374.
- Jeffrey Reimer & Thomas Hertel, 2004. "Estimation of International Demand Behaviour for Use with Input-Output Based Data," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(4), pages 347-366.
- Fiebig, Denzil G. & Seale, James & Theil, Henri, 1987. "The demand for energy : Evidence from a cross-country demand system," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 149-153, July.
- W. Michael Cox & Richard Alm, 2007. "Opportunity knocks: selling our services to the world," Annual Report, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, pages 6-27.
- Izan, Haji Y. & Clements, Kenneth W., 1979. "A cross-cross-section analysis of consumption patterns," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 83-86.
- Maureen T. Rimmer & Alan A. Powell, 1992. "Demand Patterns Across the Development Spectrum: Estimates for the AIDADS System," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers op-75, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Kravis, Irving B & Heston, Alan W & Summers, Robert, 1978. "Real GDP per Capita for More Than One Hundred Countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(350), pages 215-242, June.
- Ernesto Valenzuela & Kym Anderson & Thomas Hertel, 2008. "Impacts of trade reform: sensitivity of model results to key assumptions," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 395-420, February.
- Ernesto Valenzuela & Kym Anderson & Thomas Hertel, 2007. "Impacts of Trade Reform: Sensitivity of Model Results to Key Assumptions," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2007-09, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- J. A. L. Cranfield & James S. Eales & Thomas W. Hertel & Paul V. Preckel, 2003. "Model selection when estimating and predicting consumer demands using international, cross section data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 353-364, 04.
- Finke, Renate & Rosalsky, Mercedes C. & Theil, Henri, 1983. "A new cross-country tabulation of income elasticities of demand," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 12(3-4), pages 391-396.
- AfDB AfDB, . "AfDB Group Annual Report 2006," Annual Report, African Development Bank, number 62 edited by Koua Louis Kouakou.
- L. Alan Winters, 2005. "The European agricultural trade policies and poverty," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 32(3), pages 319-346, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)