Changes in the Structure of Global Food Demand
May 1998 Purdue AGEC Staff Paper #98-5 A newly developed demand system is used to estimate the response of food and food product demand to per capita expenditure changes. The resulting Engel elasticities are then used to project food and food product demand in 2020 assuming per capita expenditure and population changes. Results suggest that while food expenditure is projected to grow, it accounts for a smaller proportion of total expenditure. Further analysis indicates change in the composition of food demand away from a grain and towards livestock is projected to occur in lower income countries in 2020.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Note:||GTAP Working Paper No. 01|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1145 Krannert Building, West Lafayette, IN 47907-1145|
Phone: (765) 494-4267
Fax: 765 494-9176
Web page: http://www.gtap.agecon.purdue.edu/
More information through EDIRC
- Alan A. Powell & Keith R. McLaren & K.R. Pearson & Maureen T.Rimmer, 2002.
"Cobb-Douglas Utility - Eventually!,"
Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers
ip-80, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Alan A. Powell & Keith R. McLaren & K.R. Pearson & Maureen Rimmer, 2002. "Cobb-Douglas Utility - Eventually!," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 12/02, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Wei-Ming Tian & Zhang-Yue Zhou, 2011. "Fluctuations of Prices in the World Grain Market: Policy Responses by the Chinese Government," Chapters,in: China’s Economy in the Post-WTO Environment, chapter 8 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Hansen, James M., 2012. "Assessing the Impact of Southeast Asia's Increasing Meat Demand on Global Feed Demand and Prices," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124683, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Tey, (John) Yeong-Sheng, 2008. "Household expenditure on food at home in Malaysia," MPRA Paper 15031, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bakhshoodeh, M., 2010. "Impacts of world prices transmission to domestic rice markets in rural Iran," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 12-19, February.
- White, Robin R. & Brady, Michael, 2014. "Can consumers’ willingness to pay incentivize adoption of environmental impact reducing technologies in meat animal production?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(P1), pages 41-49.
- Cao, Liâ€ Juan & Tian, Weiâ€ Ming & Wang, Jiâ€ Min & Malcolm, Bill & Liu, Hongâ€ Bo & Zhou, Zhangâ€ Yue, 2013. "Recent Food Consumption Trends in China and Trade," Australasian Agribusiness Review, University of Melbourne, Melbourne School of Land and Environment, vol. 21.
- Regmi, Anita & Seale, James L., Jr., 2010. "Cross-Price Elasticities of Demand Across 114 Countries," Technical Bulletins 59870, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Regmi, Anita & Seale, James L. Jr, 2010. "Cross-Price Elasticities of Demand Across 114 Countries," Technical Bulletins 184310, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Delgado, Christopher L. & Rosegrant, Mark W. & Meijer, Siet, 2001. "Livestock To 2020: The Revolution Continues," International Trade in Livestock Products Symposium, January 18-19, 2001, Auckland, New Zealand 14560, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Ujjayant Chakravorty & Marie-Hélène Hubert & Linda Nøstbakken, 2009. "Fuel Versus Food," Annual Review of Resource Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 645-663, September.
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Hubert, Marie-Helene & Nostbakken, Linda, 2009. "Fuel versus Food," Working Papers 2009-20, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Ujjayant Chakravorty & Marie-Hélène Hubert & Linda Nøstbakken, 2009. "Fuel Versus Food," Post-Print halshs-01117673, HAL.
- Ehui, Simeon K. & Delgado, Christopher L., 1999. "Economy-wide impacts of technological change in the agro-food production and processing sectors in Sub- Saharan Africa," MTID discussion papers 38, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Yu, Wusheng & Hertel, Thomas W. & Preckel, Paul V. & Eales, James S., 2004. "Projecting world food demand using alternative demand systems," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 99-129, January.
- Yu, Wusheng & Hertel, Thomas W. & Preckel, Paul V. & Eales, James S., 2003. "Projecting World Food Demand Using Alternative Demand Systems," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25905, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Yu, Wusheng & Hertel, Thomas & Preckel, Paul & Eales, James, 2003. "Projecting World Food Demand Using Alternative Demand Systems," GTAP Working Papers 1182, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Fabiosa, Jacinto F., 2006. "Growing Demand for Animal-Protein-Source Products in Indonesia: Trade Implications," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21417, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Delgado, Christopher L. & Rosegrant, Mark W. & Wada, Nikolas, 2003. "Meating and Milking Global Demand: Stakes for Small-Scale Farmers in Developing Countries," Conference Proceedings 2003 124009, Crawford Fund.
- Vasant, P. Ghandi & Zhang-Yue, Zhou, 2010. "Rising demand for livestock products in India: nature, patterns and implications," Australasian Agribusiness Review, University of Melbourne, Melbourne School of Land and Environment, vol. 18.
- Tey, (John) Yeong-Sheng & Shamsudin, Mad Nasir & Mohamed, Zainalabidin & Abdullah, Amin Mahir & Radam, Alias, 2008. "Demand analyses of rice in Malaysia," MPRA Paper 15062, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Graham, Brett & Tyers, Rodney, 2002. "Global Population Forecast Errors, Economic Performance and Food Demand: Preliminary Simulations," 2002 Conference (46th), February 13-15, 2002, Canberra 125091, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Nin Pratt, Alejandro & Hertel, Thomas W. & Foster, Kenneth A. & Rae, Allan N., 2001. "Productivity Growth And Catching-Up: Implications For China'S Trade In Livestock Products," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20590, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gta:workpp:295. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jeremy Douglas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed