Evaluating the Factors Influecing the Number of Visits to Farmers' Markets
The primary objective of this paper was to determine key factors impacting the frequency of consumer visits to Texas farmers’ markets measured in number of visits per month. Data obtained from in-person surveys administered in two farmers’ markets locations were used to determine consumer, market factors, and socio-demographic characteristics of shoppers affecting frequency of visits. The results of the model showed that travel distance, number of adults in the household, market promotional characteristics such as entertainment and education activities, food events, as well as education and age were all determinants of frequency of visits to farmers’ markets.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martinez, Steve & Hand, Michael & Da Pra, Michelle & Pollack, Susan & Ralston, Katherine & Smith, Travis & Vogel, Stephen & Clarke, Shellye & Lohr, Luanne & Low, Sarah & Newman, Constance, 2010.
"Local food systems: concepts, impacts, and issues,"
24313, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martinez, Stephen W. & Hand, Michael S. & Da Pra, Michelle & Pollack, Susan L. & Ralston, Katherine L. & Smith, Travis A. & Vogel, Stephen J. & Clark, Shellye & Lohr, Luanne & Low, Sarah A. & Newman, , 2010. "Local Food Systems: Concepts, Impacts, and Issues," Economic Research Report 96635, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Gary D. Thompson & Julia Kidwell, 1998. "Explaining the Choice of Organic Produce: Cosmetic Defects, Prices, and Consumer Preferences," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(2), pages 277-287.
- Schmit, T.M. & Gómez, M.I., 2011.
"Developing viable farmers markets in rural communities: An investigation of vendor performance using objective and subjective valuations,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 119-127, April.
- Schmit, Todd M. & Gomez, Miguel I., 2010. "Developing Viable Farmers Markets in Rural Communities: An Investigation of Vendor Performance using Objective and Subjective Valuations," Working Papers 126957, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Curtis, Kynda R. & Cowee, Margaret W. & Velcherean, Marcela & Gatzke, Holly, 2010. "Farmers Market Consumers: Is Local or Organic Important?," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 41(1), March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:saea12:119786. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.