Experimental examination of land investment decisions with volatile returns A comparison between Kazakhstani and German farmers
Kazakhstan and Germany have different development levels of the agricultural sector. One of the explanations for this fact might be the different investment behavior of farmers in the two countries. In this study, we experimentally compare the investment behavior of farmers in the two countries in a farmland investment treatment and a coin tossing game investment treatment. In addition, farmers were confronted with the two treatments in a different order. Results demonstrate that German farmers are more reluctant to make investment than Kazakhstani farmers. Moreover, results are independent from the framing of a farmland investment and a coin tossing game investment treatment. Furthermore, the investment behaviors of farmers were contrasted with normative benchmark of the classical investment theory and the real options theory. Our results show that both theories cannot exactly explain the investment behavior of farmers. However, farmers learn from former investment behavior and consider the value of waiting over time.
|Date of creation:||24 Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Levin, Irwin P & Gaeth, Gary J, 1988. " How Consumers Are Affected by the Framing of Attribute Information before and after Consuming the Product," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(3), pages 374-78, December.
- Rahm, M. & Huffman, Wallace, 1984. "The Adoption of Reduced Tillage: The Role of Human Capital and Other Variables," Staff General Research Papers 10977, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Ryan Oprea & Daniel Friedman & Steven T. Anderson, 2009. "Learning to Wait: A Laboratory Investigation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 76(3), pages 1103-1124.
- Sangtaek Seo & Eduardo Segarra & Paul D. Mitchell & David J. Leatham, 2008. "Irrigation technology adoption and its implication for water conservation in the Texas High Plains: a real options approach," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 38(1), pages 47-55, 01.
- Mario Vanhoucke & Erik Demeulemeester & Willy Herroelen, 2001. "On Maximizing the Net Present Value of a Project Under Renewable Resource Constraints," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(8), pages 1113-1121, August.
- Mathews, Kenneth H., Jr. & Short, Sara D., 2001. "The Beef Cow Replacement Decision," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 19(2).
- Jonas Nilsson, 2008. "Investment with a Conscience: Examining the Impact of Pro-Social Attitudes and Perceived Financial Performance on Socially Responsible Investment Behavior," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 83(2), pages 307-325, December.
- John W. Cary & Roger L. Wilkinson, 1997. "Perceived Profitability And Farmers' Conservation Behaviour," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1-3), pages 13-21.
- Jonathan P. O'Brien & Timothy B. Folta & Douglas R. Johnson, 2003. "A real options perspective on entrepreneurial entry in the face of uncertainty," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(8), pages 515-533.
- Raushan Bokusheva & Vladislav Valentinov & Viktoriya Anpilogova, 2007. "The Investment Behaviour of Russian Farms," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 53-71.
- Gilbert, Richard J & Harris, Richard G, 1981. "Investment Decisions with Economies of Scale and Learning," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 172-77, May.
- Cornelis Gardebroek & Alfons G.J.M. Oude Lansink, 2004. "Farm-specific Adjustment Costs in Dutch Pig Farming," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(1), pages 3-24.
- Quoc V. Luong & Loren W. Tauer, 2006.
"A real options analysis of coffee planting in Vietnam,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 35(1), pages 49-57, 07.
- Luong, Quoc & Tauer, Loren W., 2004. "A Real Options Analysis of Coffee Planting in Vietnam," Working Papers 127152, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- W. Viscusi & Owen Phillips & Stephan Kroll, 2011. "Risky investment decisions: How are individuals influenced by their groups?," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 43(2), pages 81-106, October.
- Martin Odening & Oliver Mu�hoff & Alfons Balmann, 2005. "Investment decisions in hog finishing: an application of the real options approach," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 32(1), pages 47-60, 01.
- Abdullah Yavas & C. Sirmans, 2005. "Real Options: Experimental Evidence," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 27-52, August.
- Patel, Pankaj C. & Fiet, James O., 2010. "Enhancing the internal validity of entrepreneurship experiments by assessing treatment effects at multiple levels across multiple trials," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 127-140, October.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Nganje, William E. & Acharya, Ram N., 2009. "Public Goods, Hysteresis, and Underinvestment in Food Safety," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(3), December.
- Engstr M, Stefan & Westerberg, Anna, 2003. "Which individuals make active investment decisions in the new Swedish pension system?," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(03), pages 225-245, November.
- Wu, Jinzhuo & Sperow, Mark & Wang, Jingxin, 2010. "Economic Feasibility of a Woody Biomass- Based Ethanol Plant in Central Appalachia," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 35(3), December.
- John Knight & Sharada Weir & Tassew Woldehanna, 2003. "The role of education in facilitating risk-taking and innovation in agriculture," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(6), pages 1-22.
- Engström, Stefan & Westerberg, Anna, 2003. "Which individuals make active investment decisions in the new Swedish pension system?," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 527, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 21 Jul 2003.
- Charles A. Holt & Susan K. Laury, 2002. "Risk Aversion and Incentive Effects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1644-1655, December.
- repec:bla:restud:v:76:y:2009:i:3:p:1103-1124 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaa123:122454. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.