Follow the leader? Adoption behavior in food retailers' decision to offer fresh irradiated ground beef
During the 14-month period from May 2002 through June 2003, approximately 10% of U.S. supermarkets began to offer fresh irradiated ground beef under the stores' own labels. Using a survey of supermarket store managers from this period, the authors investigate the factors that influenced stores' adoption of irradiated ground beef. Results from the adoption model show that factors associated with competition, merchandising philosophy, and structure in the food retailing industry play a strong role in the decision. Among other results, it was found that variables relating to a competitor's adoption status and proximity can increase the likelihood of a store's adoption. [EconLit citations: L660, M310, Q180] © 2006 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Agribusiness 22: 547-568, 2006.
Volume (Year): 22 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henson, Spencer, 1995. "Demand-side constraints on the introduction of new food technologies: The case of food irradiation," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 111-127, April.
- Fox, John A. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Shogren, Jason F. & Kliebenstein, James, 1996.
"Experimental Methods in Consumer Preference Studies,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
5178, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Fox, John A. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Shogren, Jason F. & Kliebenstein, James B., 1996. "Experimental Methods In Consumer Preference Studies," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 27(2), July.
- Hayes, D. J. & Fox, J. A. & Shogren, J. F., 2002. "Experts and activists: how information affects the demand for food irradiation," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 185-193, April.
- Hayes, Dermot J. & Fox, John A. & Shogren, Jason F., 2002. "Experts and Activists: How Information Affects the Demand for Food Irradiation," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10105, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Park, John L., 2001. "Supermarket Product Selection Uncovered: Manufacturer Promotions And The Channel Intermediary," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IFAMA), vol. 4(02).
- Edward W. McLaughlin & Peter Fredericks, 1994. "New product procurement behavior of us supermarket chains: Implications for food and agribusiness suppliers," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(6), pages 481-490.
- Preyas S. Desai, 2000. "Multiple Messages to Retain Retailers: Signaling New Product Demand," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(4), pages 381-389, August.
- Trichy Krishan & Kitty Koelemeijer & Ram Rao, 2002. "Consistent Assortment Provision and Service Provision in a Retail Environment," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(1), pages 54-73, April.
- Brian T. Ratchford, 1990. "Commentary on “Marketing Applications of the Economics of Product Variety”," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 9(3), pages 207-211.
- Connor, John M., 1999. "Evolving Research on Price Competition in the Grocery Retailing Industry: An Appraisal," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(02), pages 119-127, October.
- Frenzen, Paul D. & Majchrowicz, T. Alexander & Buzby, Jean C. & Imhoff, Beth, 2000. "Consumer Acceptance of Irradiated Meat and Poultry Products," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33616, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Buzby, Jean C. & Fox, John A. & Ready, Richard C. & Crutchfield, Stephen R., 1998.
"Measuring Consumer Benefits Of Food Safety Risk Reductions,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(01), July.
- Buzby, Jean C. & Fox, John A. & Ready, Richard C. & Crutchfleld, Stephen R., 1998. "Measuring Consumer Benefits of Food Safety Risk Reductions," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(01), pages 69-82, July.
- Stephen G. Sapp & Wendy J. Harrod & Lijun Zhao, 1995. "Social demographic and attitudinal determinants of consumer acceptance of food irradiation," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(2), pages 117-130.
- Swann, Peter, 1990. "Product competition and the dimensions of product space," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 281-295, June.
- Kinsey, Jean D. & Jacobson, Elaine M. & Behl, Ajay S. & Seltzer, Jonathan M., 2003. "The 2003 Supermarket Panel Annual Report," Supermarket Panel Reports 14354, University of Minnesota, The Food Industry Center.
- Rodolfo M. Nayga & Wipon Aiew & John P. Nichols, 2005. "Information Effects on Consumers' Willingness to Purchase Irradiated Food Products," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 27(1), pages 37-48.
- Connor, John M., 1999. "Evolving Research On Price Competition In The Grocery Retailing Industry: An Appraisal," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 28(2), October.
- Yuxin Chen & James D. Hess & Ronald T. Wilcox & Z. John Zhang, 1999. "Accounting Profits Versus Marketing Profits: A Relevant Metric for Category Management," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(3), pages 208-229.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:22:y:2006:i:4:p:547-568. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.