Separate Decision-Making for Supermarket Leaders and Followers: The Case of Whether or Not to Offer Irradiated Ground Beef
Using supermarket survey data that include a storeâ€™s adoption of a new fresh irradiated ground beef product, this paper investigates whether the adoption decision-making process differs depending on whether adoption would make the store a leader or a follower. We model the adoption decision in two ways that take the leader-follower decision into account. Our results show only limited differences in store attributes across groups classified as leaders, followers, or non-adopters. More significantly, however, the results show that store attributes such as proximity to competitors and store size, among others, play separate roles in the decision to lead or follow.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harris, James Michael & Kaufman, Phillip R. & Martinez, Stephen W. & Price, Charlene C., 2002. "The U.S. Food Marketing System, 2002: Competition, Coordination, And Technological Innovations Into The 21st Century," Agricultural Economics Reports 34001, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Edward C. Jaenicke & R. Wesley Harrison & Kimberly L. Jensen & Paul M. Jakus, 2006.
"Follow the leader? Adoption behavior in food retailers' decision to offer fresh irradiated ground beef,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(4), pages 547-568.
- Harrison, R. Wes & Jaenicke, Edward C. & Jensen, Kimberly L. & Jakus, Paul M., 2005. "Follow the Leader: Adoption Behavior in Food Retailers' Decision to Offer Fresh Irradiated Ground Beef," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19300, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Kinsey, Jean D. & Jacobson, Elaine M. & Behl, Ajay S. & Seltzer, Jonathan M., 2003. "The 2003 Supermarket Panel Annual Report," Supermarket Panel Reports 14354, University of Minnesota, The Food Industry Center.
- Trichy Krishan & Kitty Koelemeijer & Ram Rao, 2002. "Consistent Assortment Provision and Service Provision in a Retail Environment," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(1), pages 54-73, April.
- King, Robert P. & Leibtag, Ephraim S. & Behl, Ajay S., 2004.
"Supermarket Characteristics And Operating Costs In Low-Income Areas,"
Agricultural Economics Reports
34003, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- King, Robert P. & Leibtag, Ephraim S. & Behl, Ajay S., 2004. "Supermarket Characteristics And Operating Costs In Low-Income Areas," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20361, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Park, John L., 2001. "Supermarket Product Selection Uncovered: Manufacturer Promotions And The Channel Intermediary," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IFAMA), vol. 4(02).
- Wolfson, Paul J. & Kinsey, Jean D. & King, Robert P. & Seltzer, Jonathan M., 2001. "THE SUPERMARKET INDUSTRY AT THE START OF THE 21st CENTURY: KEY FINDINGS FROM THE 2000 SUPERMARKET PANEL," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 32(03), November.
- Yuxin Chen & James D. Hess & Ronald T. Wilcox & Z. John Zhang, 1999. "Accounting Profits Versus Marketing Profits: A Relevant Metric for Category Management," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(3), pages 208-229.
- Swann, Peter, 1990. "Product competition and the dimensions of product space," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 281-295, June.
- Teck-Hua Ho & Christopher S. Tang & David R. Bell, 1998. "Rational Shopping Behavior and the Option Value of Variable Pricing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(12-Part-2), pages 145-160, December.
- King, Robert P. & Park, Timothy A., 2004. "Modeling Productivity In Supermarket Operations: Incorporating The Impacts Of Store Characteristics And Information Technologies," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 35(02), July.
- Morganosky, Michelle A. & Cude, Brenda J., 2001. "Why Do Consumers Cross-Shop Between Different Types Of Food Retail Outlets?," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 32(03), November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlofdr:7066. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.