Protected geographical indications and integration into the agribusiness system
The aim of this article is to analyze beef retailers' behavior with respect to the sale of beef under a protected geographical indication (PGI). The study was based on a survey of a representative sample of beef retailers in the Spanish region of Navarra, where there is a well-established PGI. The data were then evaluated by means of logistic regression, in which the decision whether or not to sell PGI meat was explained by the set of variables drawn from the survey. The results show that the guarantee of quality provided by the PGI, the importance given by consumers to “origin” as a quality attribute, and the quality and conditions offered by the regular supplier, to be the main motivating factors behind the retailer's decision to join the PGI beef supply chain. [JEL Codes: Q01, Q12, Q13]. © 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume (Year): 25 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jutta Roosen & Jayson L. Lusk & John A. Fox, 2003.
"Consumer demand for and attitudes toward alternative beef labeling strategies in France, Germany, and the UK,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(1), pages 77-90.
- Roosen, Jutta & Lusk, Jayson L. & Fox, John A., 2001. "Consumer Demand For And Attitudes Toward Alternative Beef Labeling Strategies In France, Germany, And The Uk," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20643, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Edward C. Jaenicke & R. Wesley Harrison & Kimberly L. Jensen & Paul M. Jakus, 2006.
"Follow the leader? Adoption behavior in food retailers' decision to offer fresh irradiated ground beef,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(4), pages 547-568.
- Harrison, R. Wes & Jaenicke, Edward C. & Jensen, Kimberly L. & Jakus, Paul M., 2005. "Follow the Leader: Adoption Behavior in Food Retailers' Decision to Offer Fresh Irradiated Ground Beef," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19300, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Loader, Rupert & Hobbs, Jill E., 1999. "Strategic responses to food safety legislation," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 685-706, December.
- Gianluca Brunori & Raffaella Cerruti & Stefania Medeot & Adanella Rossi, 2008. "Looking for alternatives: the construction of the organic beef chain in Mugello, Tuscany," International Journal of Agricultural Resources, Governance and Ecology, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 7(1/2), pages 126-143.
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Umberger, Wendy J., 2003. "Estimating Consumer Willingness to Pay for Country-of-Origin Labeling," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(02), August.
- Thompson, Stanley R. & Anders, Sven M. & Herrmann, Roland, 2006.
"Markets Segmented by Regional - Origin Labeling with Quality Control,"
2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia
25530, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Sven Anders & Stanley Thompson & Roland Herrmann, 2009. "Markets segmented by regional-origin labelling with quality control," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(3), pages 311-321.
- Gilg, Andrew W. & Battershill, Martin, 1998. "Quality farm food in Europe: a possible alternative to the industrialised food market and to current agri-environmental policies: lessons from France," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 25-40, February.
- Oscar Vergara & Keith H. Coble & Thomas O. Knight & George F. Patrick & Alan E. Baquet, 2004. "Cotton producers' choice of marketing techniques," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(4), pages 465-479.
- Maria Luz Loureiro & Jill J. McCluskey, 2000. "Assessing consumer response to protected geographical identification labeling," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 309-320.
- Dimara, Efthalia & Petrou, Anastasia & Skuras, Dimitris, 2004. "Agricultural policy for quality and producers' evaluations of quality marketing indicators: a Greek case study," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 485-506, October.
- Fearne, Andrew & Hornibrook, Susan A. & Dedman, Sandra, 2001. "The Management Of Perceived Risk In The Food Supply Chain: A Comparative Study Of Retailer-Led Beef Quality Assurance Schemes In Germany And Italy," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IFAMA), vol. 4(01).
- Cristina Mora & Davide Menozzi, 2005. "Vertical contractual relations in the Italian beef supply chain," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(2), pages 213-235.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:25:y:2009:i:2:p:198-214. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.