Consumer demand for and attitudes toward alternative beef labeling strategies in France, Germany, and the UK
Food safety scares have led to loss of consumer confidence in the quality and safety of beef products in Europe. To counteract such concerns, firms and regulators can use brands or labels to signal quality. Using data from mail surveys in France, Germany, and the United Kingdom, we analyze consumer preferences for alternative beef labeling strategies: brands, origin labels, and mandatory labeling of beef from cattle fed genetically modified feed. The analysis suggests that consumers place more importance on labels of origin as opposed to private brands. More than 90% of surveyed consumers wanted a mandatory labeling program for beef produced from cattle fed genetically modified crops. [EconLit citations: D120, L660.] © 2003 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Agribusiness 19: 77-90, 2003.
Volume (Year): 19 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean Tirole, 1996. "A Theory of Collective Reputations (with applications to the persistence of corruption and to firm quality)," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 63(1), pages 1-22.
- Landon, Stuart & Smith, Constance, 1998. "Quality expectations, reputation, and price," MPRA Paper 9774, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Maria Luz Loureiro & Jill J. McCluskey, 2000. "Assessing consumer response to protected geographical identification labeling," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 309-320.
- Henson, Spencer & Traill, Bruce, 1993. "The demand for food safety : Market imperfections and the role of government," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 152-162, April.
- Vandenberg, Jennifer M. & Fulton, Joan R. & Dooley, Frank J. & Preckel, Paul V., 2000. "Impact of Identity Preservation of Non-GMO Crops on the Grain Market System," CAFRI: Current Agriculture, Food and Resource Issues, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society, issue 01.
- Loader, Rupert & Hobbs, Jill E., 1999. "Strategic responses to food safety legislation," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 685-706, December.
- Swinbank, Alan, 1993. "The economics of food safety," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 83-94, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:19:y:2003:i:1:p:77-90. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.