Implicit Value of Retail Beef Product Attributes
To identify the value consumers place on observable characteristics of fresh beef products, primary data were collected on over 1,350 packages of beef from 66 randomly selected grocery stores located in three metropolitan areas--Oklahoma City and Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Denver, Colorado. Estimated linear and log-linear hedonic models reveal ground beef prices were significantly influenced by store location (i.e., metropolitan area) and store type, fat content, package size and type, expiration date, brand category, and special labels. Factors influencing steak prices included store location, product type, quality grade, package size and type, brand category, and special labels.
Volume (Year): 33 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jayson L. Lusk & John A. Fox & Ted C. Schroeder & James Mintert & Mohammad Koohmaraie, 2001.
"In-Store Valuation of Steak Tenderness,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 539-550.
- Maria Luz Loureiro & Jill J. McCluskey, 2000. "Assessing consumer response to protected geographical identification labeling," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 309-320.
- Jayson L. Lusk & Jutta Roosen & John A. Fox, 2003.
"Demand for Beef from Cattle Administered Growth Hormones or Fed Genetically Modified Corn: A Comparison of Consumers in France, Germany, the United Kingdom, and the United States,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(1), pages 16-29.
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Roosen, Jutta & Fox, John A., 2001. "Demand For Beef From Cattle Administered Growth Hormones Or Fed Genetically Modified Corn: A Comparison Of Consumers In France, Germany, The United Kingdom, And The United States," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20684, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Brester, Gary W. & Lhermite, Pascale & Goodwin, Barry K. & Hunt, Melvin C., 1993. "Quantifying The Effects Of New Product Development: The Case Of Low-Fat Ground Beef," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(02), December.
- Menkhaus, Dale J. & Borden, George W. & Whipple, Glen D. & Hoffman, Elizabeth & Field, Ray A., 1992. "An Empirical Application Of Laboratory Experimental Auctions In Marketing Research," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 17(01), July.
- Jayson Lusk & Ted Schroeder & Ty Feldkamp, 2004.
"Experimental auction procedure: Impact on valuation of quality differentiated goods,"
Artefactual Field Experiments
00097, The Field Experiments Website.
- Ty Feldkamp & Ted C. Schroeder, 2004. "Experimental Auction Procedure: Impact on Valuation of Quality Differentiated Goods," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(2), pages 389-405.
- Maynard, Leigh J. & Burdine, Kenneth H. & Meyer, A. Lee, 2003. "Market Potential for Locally Produced Meat Products," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 34(02), July.
- Grolleau, Gilles & Caswell, Julie A., 2006.
"Interaction Between Food Attributes in Markets: The Case of Environmental Labeling,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(03), December.
- Gilles Grolleau & Julie A. Caswell, 2005. "Interaction Between Food Attributes in Markets: The Case of Environmental Labeling," Working Papers 2005-5, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Resource Economics.
- Unnevehr, Laurian J. & Bard, Sharon K., 1993. "Beef Quality: Will Consumers Pay For Less Fat?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(02), December.
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Umberger, Wendy J., 2003. "Estimating Consumer Willingness to Pay for Country-of-Origin Labeling," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(02), August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlaare:46561. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.