Beef Quality: Will Consumers Pay For Less Fat?
A nationwide retail survey is used to estimate hedonic prices of fat characteristics in beef table cuts. Results show that consumers consistently place a negative value on external fat for all table cuts and on seam fat in chuck and round cuts, but do not consistently value intramuscular fat. These consumer preferences are not transmitted to cattle feeders through price signals, even though the current beef grading system can distinguish carcasses with undesirable fat characteristics.
Volume (Year): 18 (1993)
Issue (Month): 02 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
- Ward, Clement E. & Lusk, Jayson L. & Dutton, Jennifer M., 2008. "Implicit Value of Retail Beef Product Attributes," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 33(3), December.
- Boland, Michael & Schroeder, Ted, 2002.
"Marginal Value of Quality Attributes for Natural and Organic Beef,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(01), pages 39-49, April.
- Boland, Michael A. & Schroeder, Ted C., 2002. "Marginal Value Of Quality Attributes For Natural And Organic Beef," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(01), April.
- Tronstad, Russell, 1995. "Importance Of Melon Type, Size, Grade, Container, And Season In Determining Melon Prices," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(01), July.
- Johnson, Heather C. & Ward, Clement E., 2006. "Impact of Beef Quality on Market Signals Transmitted by Grid Pricing," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(01), April.
- Farrell, Terence C., 2009. "Identification of substitute groups for retail beef demand and supply equations," Australasian Agribusiness Review, University of Melbourne, Melbourne School of Land and Environment, vol. 17.
- Shongwe, M.A. & Jooste, Andre & Hugo, A. & Alemu, Zerihun Gudeta & Pelser, A., 2007. "Will consumers pay less for fat on beef cuts? The case in Bloemfontein, South Africa," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 46(4), December.
- Smed, Sinne & Hansen, Lars Garn, 2010. "Consumer valuation of health attributes in food," 115th Joint EAAE/AAEA Seminar, September 15-17, 2010, Freising-Weihenstephan, Germany 116390, European Association of Agricultural Economists;Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Smed, Sinne & Hansen, Lars Garn, 2012. "Consumer valuation of health attributes in food," 2012 AAEA/EAAE Food Environment Symposium, May 30-31, Boston, MA 122730, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Sinne Smed & Lars Gårn Hansen, 2016. "Consumer valuation of health attributes in food," IFRO Working Paper 2016/01, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- Martinez, Stephen W., 2011. "Brand Premiums in the U.S. Beef Industry," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 42(2), July.
- Min-Yang Lee, 2014. "Hedonic Pricing of Atlantic Cod: Effects of Size, Freshness, and Gear," Marine Resource Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(3), pages 259-277.
- Schulz, Lee L. & Schroeder, Ted C. & White, Katharine L., 2012. "Value of Beef Steak Branding: Hedonic Analysis of Retail Scanner Data," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 41(2), August.
- Schulz, Lee L. & Schroeder, Ted C. & White, Katharine L., 2010. "Value Of Beef Steak Branding: Hedonic Analysis Of Retail Scanner Data," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61596, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Schulz, Lee L. & Schroeder, Ted C. & White, Katharine L., 2012. "Value of Beef Steak Branding: Hedonic Analysis of Retail Scanner Data," Staff General Research Papers Archive 35146, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Tey, (John) Yeong-Sheng & Shamsudin, Mad Nasir & Mohamed, Zainalabidin & Abdullah, Amin Mahir & Radam, Alias, 2008. "Demand for beef in Malaysia: Quality or Quantity?," MPRA Paper 15035, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martinez, Stephen W., 2008. "Estimating the Value of Retail Beef Product Brands and Other Attributes," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6455, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Guijing WANG & Stanley M. FLETCHER & Dale H. CARLEY, "undated". "Determinants Of Demand For Beef: The Impact Of Fat Trimming," Department of Resource Economics Regional Research Project 95412, University of Massachusetts.
- Farrell, Terence C., 2001. "Modelling Meat Quality Attributes," 2001 Conference (45th), January 23-25, 2001, Adelaide 125624, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlaare:30964. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed