Estimating Marginal Implicit Prices For Selected Quality Attributes Of Hybrid Seed Corn
The central objective of this study was to estimate the implicit marginal prices for the following attributes of hybrid seed corn: yield, moisture content, root lodging, stalk lodging, stand survival and ear drop. This study fills an existent gap in the application of a hedonic price technique to agricultural commodities. A hedonic price equation was constructed and estimated using characteristics data on hybrid corn varieties obtained from the Iowa State University Extension Service. Seed price data were solicited from seed companies for the same set of hybrids. In total, fifty-nine seed companies were asked for suggested retail prices for their hybrids. Forty companies responded with 1991 price information which was used in estimating the parameters of the formulated models. Six hypotheses relating the price paid for hybrid seed corn with the performance characteristics of interest were formulated and tested. Results indicate that the prices that farmers paid for hybrid seed corn were significantly related only to (1) the moisture content and (2) the root lodging characteristics of the resulting crop. Both results were significant at the 0.005 level. Surprisingly, seed price and yield were not significantly related. More research is needed to further analyze these relationships and to analyze farmer's response to the wide range of nonprice services provided by seed companies.
|Date of creation:||1993|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 231ClaOff Building, 1994 Buford Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55108-6040|
Phone: (612) 625-1222
Fax: (612) 625-6245
Web page: http://www.apec.umn.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harrison, David Jr. & Rubinfeld, Daniel L., 1978. "Hedonic housing prices and the demand for clean air," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 81-102, March.
- Halvorsen, Robert & Pollakowski, Henry O., 1981. "Choice of functional form for hedonic price equations," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 37-49, July.
- Lerman, Steven R. & Kern, Clifford R., 1983. "Hedonic theory, bid rents, and willingness-to-pay: Some extensions of Ellickson's results," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 358-363, May.
- Murdoch, James C. & Thayer, Mark A., 1988. "Hedonic price estimation of variable urban air quality," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 143-146, June.
- George W. Ladd & Marvin B. Martin, 1976. "Prices and Demands for Input Characteristics," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 58(1), pages 21-30.
- Carlson, Gerald A. & Zilberman, David & Miranowski, John, 1993. "Agricultural and Resource Economics," Staff General Research Papers 11104, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Jordan, Jeffrey L. & Shewfelt, R.L. & Prussia, Stanley E. & Hurst, W.C., 1985. "Estimating Implicit Marginal Prices Of Quality Characteristics Of Tomatoes," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 17(02), December.
- Ethridge, Don E. & Davis, Bob, 1982. "Hedonic Price Estimation For Commodities: An Application To Cotton," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 7(02), December.
- Cropper, Maureen L & Deck, Leland B & McConnell, Kenneth E, 1988. "On the Choice of Functional Form for Hedonic Price Functions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(4), pages 668-75, November.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
- Biing-Hwan Lin & Hiroshi Mori, 1991. "Implicit values of Beef carcass characteristics in Japan: Implications for the US Beef export industry," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(2), pages 101-114.
- Jordan, Jeffery L. & Shewfelt, R. L. & Prussia, S. E. & Hurst, W. C., 1985. "Estimating Implicit Marginal Prices of Quality Characteristics of Tomatoes," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(02), pages 139-146, December.
- B. Wade Brorsen & Warren R. Grant & M. Edward Rister, 1984. "A Hedonic Price Model for Rough Rice Bid/Acceptance Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 66(2), pages 156-163.
- George W. Ladd & Veraphol Suvannunt, 1976. "A Model of Consumer Goods Characteristics," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 58(3), pages 504-510.
- Sundquist, W. Burt & Menz, Kenneth M. & Neumeyer, Catherine F., 1982. "A Technology Assessment of Commercial Corn Production in the United States," Station Bulletins 51106, University of Minnesota, Agricultural Experiment Station.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Nelson, Jon P., 1978. "Residential choice, hedonic prices, and the demand for urban air quality," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 357-369, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:umaesp:13473. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.