Modern food retailers and traditional markets in developing countries: Comparing quality, prices, and competition strategies in Thailand
Supermarkets and hypermarkets are expanding rapidly in many developing countries. While consequences for farmers and consumers were analyzed recently, little is known about the implications for traditional retail formats such as wet markets. Using data from a market survey in Thailand and hedonic regression models, we analyze quality and prices for fresh vegetables from different retail outlets. Compared to wet markets, modern retailers sell higher quality at higher prices, indicating that they are primarily targeting better-off consumers. Hence, they are not directly competing for the same market segments. Yet there are signs that modern and traditional markets will gradually converge.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.uni-goettingen.de/globalfood
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stringer, Randy & Sang, Naiquan & Croppenstedt, André, 2009. "Producers, Processors, and Procurement Decisions: The Case of Vegetable Supply Chains in China," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 1773-1780, November.
- Neven, David & Reardon, Thomas & Chege, Jonathan & Wang, Honglin, 2005. "Supermarkets And Consumers In Africa: The Case Of Nairobi, Kenya," Staff Papers 11584, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Minten, Bart & Reardon, Thomas & Sutradhar, Rajib, 2010. "Food Prices and Modern Retail: The Case of Delhi," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(12), pages 1775-1787, December.
- Ward, Clement E. & Lusk, Jayson L. & Dutton, Jennifer M., 2008. "Implicit Value of Retail Beef Product Attributes," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 33(3), December.
- Anneleen Vandeplas & Bart Minten, 2011.
"Food quality in domestic markets of developing economies:A comparative study of two countries,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
28911, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Vandeplas, Anneleen & Minten, Bart & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009. "On food quality in domestic markets of developing economies," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51700, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- D'Haese, Marijke & Van Huylenbroeck, Guido, 2005. "The rise of supermarkets and changing expenditure patterns of poor rural households case study in the Transkei area, South Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 97-113, February.
- Céline Bignebat & Ahmet Ali Koç & Sylvaine Lemeilleur, 2009. "Small producers, supermarkets, and the role of intermediaries in Turkey's fresh fruit and vegetable market," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 40(s1), pages 807-816, November.
- Henson, Spencer & Reardon, Thomas, 2005. "Private agri-food standards: Implications for food policy and the agri-food system," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 241-253, June.
- Marcus Mergenthaler & Katinka Weinberger & Matin Qaim, 2009. "Consumer Valuation of Food Quality and Food Safety Attributes in Vietnam," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 31(2), pages 266-283, 06.
- Timmer, C. Peter, 2009. "Do Supermarkets Change the Food Policy Agenda?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 1812-1819, November.
- Reardon, Thomas & Berdegue, Julio A. & Timmer, C. Peter, 2005. "Supermarketization of the "Emerging Markets" of the Pacific Rim: Development and Trade Implications," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 36(01), March.
- Fernando Balsevich & Julio A. Berdegué & Luis Flores & Denise Mainville & Thomas Reardon, 2003. "Supermarkets and Produce Quality and Safety Standards in Latin America," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1147-1154.
- Christin Schipmann & Matin Qaim, 2010. "Spillovers from modern supply chains to traditional markets: product innovation and adoption by smallholders," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(3-4), pages 361-371, 05.
- Daniel Suryadarma & Adri Poesoro & Sri Budiyati & Akhmadi & Meuthia Rosfadhila, 2007. "Impact of Supermarkets on Traditional Markets and Retailers in Indonesia's Urban Centers," Development Economics Working Papers 22548, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Ricardo Hernández & Thomas Reardon & Julio Berdegué, 2007. "Supermarkets, wholesalers, and tomato growers in Guatemala," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 36(3), pages 281-290, 05.
- Vincent Amanor-Boadu, 2009. "In Search of a Theory of Shopping Value: The Case of Rural Consumers," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 31(3), pages 589-603, 09.
- Mergenthaler, Marcus & Weinberger, Katinka & Qaim, Matin, 2009. "The food system transformation in developing countries: A disaggregate demand analysis for fruits and vegetables in Vietnam," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 426-436, October.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
- Bart Minten & Thomas Reardon, 2008. "Food Prices, Quality, and Quality's Pricing in Supermarkets versus Traditional Markets in Developing Countries ," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 30(3), pages 480-490.
- Corinna Hawkes, 2008. "Dietary Implications of Supermarket Development: A Global Perspective," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 26(6), pages 657-692, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:gagfdp:108348. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.