On Identification of Bayesian DSGE Models
This article is concerned with local identification of individual parameters of dynamic stochastic general equilibrium (DSGE) models estimated by Bayesian methods. Identification is often judged by a comparison of the posterior distribution of a parameter with its prior. However, these can differ even when the parameter is not identified. Instead, we propose two Bayesian indicators of identification. The first follows a suggestion by Poirier of comparing the posterior density of the parameter of interest with the posterior expectation of its prior conditional on the remaining parameters. The second examines the rate at which the posterior precision of the parameter gets updated with the sample size, using data simulated at the parameter point of interest for an increasing sequence of sample sizes ( T). For identified parameters, the posterior precision increases at rate T . For parameters that are either unidentified or are weakly identified, the posterior precision may get updated but its rate of update will be slower than T . We use empirical examples to demonstrate that these methods are useful in practice. This article has online supplementary material.
Volume (Year): 31 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/UBES20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/UBES20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marco Del Negro & Frank Schorfheide, 2008.
"Forming Priors for DSGE Models (and How it Affects the Assessment of Nominal Rigidities),"
NBER Working Papers
13741, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Del Negro, Marco & Schorfheide, Frank, 2008. "Forming priors for DSGE models (and how it affects the assessment of nominal rigidities)," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(7), pages 1191-1208, October.
- Marco Del Negro & Frank Schorfheide, 2008. "Forming priors for DSGE models (and how it affects the assessment of nominal rigidities)," Staff Reports 320, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Marco Del Negro & Frank Schorfheide, 2006. "Forming priors for DSGE models (and how it affects the assessment of nominal rigidities)," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2006-16, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Frank Schorfheide & Marco Del Negro, 2007. "Forming Priors for DSGE Models (and How It Affects the Assessment of Nominal Rigidities)," 2007 Meeting Papers 283, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Del Negro, Marco & Schorfheide, Frank, 2007. "Forming Priors for DSGE Models (and How It Affects the Assessment of Nominal Rigidities)," CEPR Discussion Papers 6119, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Juan F. Rubio-Ramírez & Daniel F. Waggoner & Tao Zha, 2008.
"Structural vector autoregressions: theory of identification and algorithms for inference,"
FRB Atlanta Working Paper
2008-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Juan F. Rubio-Ram�rez & Daniel F. Waggoner & Tao Zha, 2010. "Structural Vector Autoregressions: Theory of Identification and Algorithms for Inference," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 77(2), pages 665-696.
- Pudney, S. E., 1982. "The identification of rational expectations models under structural neutrality," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 117-121, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jnlbes:v:31:y:2013:i:3:p:300-314. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.