Grades as incentives
This paper examines how grade incentives affect student learning across a variety of courses at two universities, using for identification the discrete rewards offered by the standard A–F letter-grade system. We develop and test five predictions about the provision of study effort and the distribution of numerical course averages in the presence of the thresholds that separate these discrete rewards. Surprisingly, all are rejected in our data. There is no evidence that exam performance is improved for those students that stand to gain the most from additional study. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2013
Volume (Year): 44 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/econometrics/journal/181/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerald S. Oettinger, 2002. "The Effect Of Nonlinear Incentives On Performance: Evidence From "Econ 101"," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 509-517, August.
- Adonis Yatchew, 1998. "Nonparametric Regression Techniques in Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(2), pages 669-721, June.
- Dan Ariely & Uri Gneezy & George Loewenstein & Nina Mazar, 2005.
"Large stakes and big mistakes,"
05-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Philip Babcock, 2010. "Real Costs Of Nominal Grade Inflation? New Evidence From Student Course Evaluations," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 48(4), pages 983-996, October.
- Heckman, James J., 2008.
"Schools, Skills, and Synapses,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3515, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gianni De Fraja & Tania Oliveira & Luisa Zanchi, 2010.
"Must Try Harder: Evaluating the Role of Effort in Educational Attainment,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 92(3), pages 577-597, August.
- De Fraja, Gianni & Oliveira, Tania & Zanchi, Luisa, 2005. "Must Try Harder. Evaluating the Role of Effort in Educational Attainment," CEPR Discussion Papers 5048, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Figlio, David N. & Lucas, Maurice E., 2004.
"Do high grading standards affect student performance?,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(9-10), pages 1815-1834, August.
- David N. Figlio & Maurice E. Lucas, 2000. "Do High Grading Standards Affect Student Performance?," NBER Working Papers 7985, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grace Chia & Paul W Miller, 2007.
"Tertiary Performance, Field of Study and Graduate Starting Salaries,"
Economics Discussion / Working Papers
07-12, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Grace Chia & Paul W. Miller, 2008. "Tertiary Performance, Field of Study and Graduate Starting Salaries," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 41(1), pages 15-31, 03.
- Angrist, Joshua & Lang, Daniel W. & Oreopoulos, Philip, 2007.
"Incentives and Services for College Achievement: Evidence from a Randomized Trial,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3134, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Philip Oreopoulos & Daniel Lang & Joshua Angrist, 2009. "Incentives and Services for College Achievement: Evidence from a Randomized Trial," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 136-63, January.
- Roland G. Fryer, Jr, 2010. "Financial Incentives and Student Achievement: Evidence from Randomized Trials," NBER Working Papers 15898, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stinebrickner Ralph & Stinebrickner Todd R., 2008.
"The Causal Effect of Studying on Academic Performance,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-55, June.
- Todd R. Stinebrickner & Ralph Stinebrickner, 2007. "The Causal Effect of Studying on Academic Performance," NBER Working Papers 13341, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Todd R. Stinebrickner & Ralph Stinebrickner, 2007. "The Causal Effect of Studying on Academic Performance," University of Western Ontario, Centre for Human Capital and Productivity (CHCP) Working Papers 20072, University of Western Ontario, Centre for Human Capital and Productivity (CHCP).
- Dubey, Pradeep & Geanakoplos, John, 2010.
"Grading exams: 100,99,98,... or A,B,C?,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 72-94, May.
- Pradeep Dubey & John Geanakoplos, 2009. "Grading Exams: 100, 99, 98,...or A, B, C?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1710, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Pradeep Dubey & John Geanakoplos, 2009. "Grading Exams: 100, 99, 98,... or A, B, C?," Levine's Working Paper Archive 814577000000000361, David K. Levine.
- Swinton, Omari H., 2010. "The effect of effort grading on learning," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 1176-1182, December.
- C. Kirabo Jackson, 2010. "A Little Now for a Lot Later: A Look at a Texas Advanced Placement Incentive Program," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 45(3).
- Julian R. Betts & Jeff Grogger, 2000.
"The Impact of Grading Standards on Student Achievement, Educational Attainment, and Entry-Level Earnings,"
NBER Working Papers
7875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Betts, Julian R. & Grogger, Jeff, 2003. "The impact of grading standards on student achievement, educational attainment, and entry-level earnings," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 343-352, August.
- Ozkan Eren & Daniel J. Henderson, 2008.
"The impact of homework on student achievement,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 11(2), pages 326-348, 07.
- Farkas, George & Hotchkiss, Lawrence, 1989. "Incentives and disincentives for subject matter difficulty and student effort: Course grade determinants across the stratification system," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 121-132, April.
- Babcock, Phillip & Marks, Mindy, 2010. "Leisure College, Usa," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt1zd0q0vn, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Robertas Zubrickas, 2010.
IEW - Working Papers
487, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- J. Bradford De Long & Kevin Lang, .
"Are All Economic Hypotheses False?,"
J. Bradford De Long's Working Papers
_117, University of California at Berkeley, Economics Department.
- Ethel B. Jones & John D. Jackson, 1990. "College Grades and Labor Market Rewards," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 25(2), pages 253-266.
- Wise, David A, 1975. "Academic Achievement and Job Performance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 350-366, June.
- Becker, W. & Rosen, S., 1990.
"The Learning Effect Of Assessment And Evaluation In High School,"
University of Chicago - Economics Research Center
90-7, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- Becker, William E. & Rosen, Sherwin, 1992. "The learning effect of assessment and evaluation in high school," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 107-118, June.
- Lester Hadsell, 2010. "Achievement Goals, Locus of Control, and Academic Success in Economics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(2), pages 272-276, May.
- Wayne A. Grove & Tim Wasserman, 2006. "Incentives and Student Learning: A Natural Experiment with Economics Problem Sets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(2), pages 447-452, May.
- Richard Borghesi, 2008. "Widespread Corruption in Sports Gambling: Fact Or Fiction," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 74(4), pages 1063-1069, April.
- Stefano Iacus & Giuseppe Porro, 2007. "School grades and students' achievement: how to identify grading standards and measure their effects," UNIMI - Research Papers in Economics, Business, and Statistics unimi-1061, Universitá degli Studi di Milano.
- Paul W. Grimes, 2002. "The Overconfident Principles of Economics Student: An Examination of a Metacognitive Skill," The Journal of Economic Education, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(1), pages 15-30, January.
- Grant, Darren, 2007. "Grades as information," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 201-214, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:empeco:v:44:y:2013:i:3:p:1563-1592. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.