The great Indian calorie debate: Explaining rising undernourishment during India’s rapid economic growth
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Raghav Gaiha & Raghbendra Jha & Vani S. Kulkarni, 2009. "How Pervasive is Eating Out in India?," ASARC Working Papers 2009-17, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Senauer, Benjamin, 2006. "The Growing Market for High-Value Food Products in Developing and Transition Countries," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 37(1), pages 1-6, March.
- Reardon, Thomas & Gulati, Ashok, 2008. "The rise of supermarkets and their development implications: International experience relevant for India," IFPRI discussion papers 752, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Simon Maxwell & Rachel Slater, 2003. "Food Policy Old and New," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 21(5-6), pages 531-553, December.
- Ogundari, Kolawole & Abdulai, Awudu, 2013. "Examining the heterogeneity in calorie–income elasticities: A meta-analysis," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 119-128.
- Bouis, Howarth & Haddad, Lawrence & Kennedy, Eileen, 1992. "Does it matter how we survey demand for food?: Evidence from Kenya and the Philippines," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 349-360, October.
- Beegle, Kathleen & De Weerdt, Joachim & Friedman, Jed & Gibson, John, 2012.
"Methods of household consumption measurement through surveys: Experimental results from Tanzania,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 3-18.
- Beegle, Kathleen & De Weerdt, Joachim & Friedman, Jed & Gibson, John, 2010. "Methods of household consumption measurement through surveys : experimental results from Tanzania," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5501, The World Bank.
- Shahidur R. Khandker & Gayatri B. Koolwal & Hussain A. Samad, 2010. "Handbook on Impact Evaluation : Quantitative Methods and Practices," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2693, March.
- Hengyun Ma & Jikun Huang & Frank Fuller & Scott Rozelle, 2006.
"Getting Rich and Eating Out: Consumption of Food Away from Home in Urban China,"
Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie,
Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 54(1), pages 101-119, March.
- Ma, Hengyun & Huang, Jikun & Fuller, Frank H. & Rozelle, Scott, 2006. "Getting Rich and Eating Out: Consumption of Food Away from Home in Urban China," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12499, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Prabhu Pingali & Yasmeen Khwaja, 2004. "Globalization of Indian Diets and the Transformation of Food Supply Systems," Working Papers 04-05, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
- Salois, Matthew J. & Tiffin, J. Richard & Balcombe, Kelvin George, 2011. "Impact of Income on Calorie and Nutrient Intakes: A Cross-Country Analysis," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103647, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Todd, Jessica E. & Mancino, Lisa & Lin, Biing-Hwan, 2010. "The Impact of Food Away from Home on Adult Diet Quality," Economic Research Report 58298, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Mancino, Lisa & Todd, Jessica & Lin, Biing-Hwan, 2009. "Separating what we eat from where: Measuring the effect of food away from home on diet quality," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 557-562, December.
- Bouis, Howarth E. & Haddad, Lawrence J., 1992. "Are estimates of calorie-income fxelasticities too high? : A recalibration of the plausible range," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 333-364, October.
- Gregory Clark & Michael Huberman & Peter H. Lindert, 1995. "A British food puzzle, 1770–1850," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 48(2), pages 215-237, May.
- Isaias Hazarmabeth Salgado-Ugarte & Makoto Shimizu & Toru Taniuchi, 1996. "Practical rules for bandwidth selection in univariate density estimation," Stata Technical Bulletin, StataCorp LP, vol. 5(27).
- Raghav Gaiha & Raghbendra Jha & Vani S. Kulkarni, 2010. "Affluence, Obesity and Non-Communicable Diseases in India," ASARC Working Papers 2010-08, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Linh Vu Hoang, 2009. "Analysis of Calorie and Micronutrient Consumption in Vietnam," Working Papers 14, Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam.
- Gale, H. Frederick, Jr. & Huang, Kuo S., 2007. "Demand For Food Quantity And Quality In China," Economic Research Report 7252, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Deepankar Basu & Amit Basole, 2012.
"The Calorie Consumption Puzzle in India: An Empirical Investigation,"
wp285, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Deepankar Basu & Amit Basole, 2012. "The Calorie Consumption Puzzle in India: An Empirical Investigation," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2012-07, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Angus Deaton & Valerie Kozel, 2005. "Data and Dogma: The Great Indian Poverty Debate," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 20(2), pages 177-199.
- Desai, Sonalde & Dubey, Amaresh & Joshi, Brij Lal & Sen, Mitali & Sharif, Abusaleh & Vanneman, Reeve, 2010. "Human Development in India: Challenges for a Society in Transition," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198065128.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- John Gibson, 2016.
"Poverty Measurement: We Know Less than Policy Makers Realize,"
Asia and the Pacific Policy Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(3), pages 430-442, September.
- John Gibson, 2015. "Poverty Measurement: We Know Less Than Policy Makers Realize," Working Papers in Economics 15/08, University of Waikato.
- John Gibson, 2016. "Poverty Measurement: We Know Less than Policy Makers Realize," Asia and the Pacific Policy Studies 201633, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Gibson, John & Boe-Gibson, Geua & Stichbury, Glen, 2015. "Urban land expansion in India 1992–2012," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 56(C), pages 100-113.
- Nidhi Kaicker, Vani Kulkarni and Raghav Gaiha, 2018. "Is variety the spice of life? India’s nutrition experience," Global Development Institute Working Paper Series 282018, GDI, The University of Manchester.
- Balarajan, Yarlini & Reich, Michael R., 2016. "Political economy of child nutrition policy: A qualitative study of India’s Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) scheme," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 62(C), pages 88-98.
- Yu, Xiaohua & Abler, David, 2016.
"Matching food with mouths: A statistical explanation to the abnormal decline of per capita food consumption in rural China,"
Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 36-43.
- Yu, Xiaohua & Abler, David G., 2015. "Matching Food with Mouths: A Statistical Explanation to the Abnormal Decline of Per Capita Food Consumption in Rural China," GlobalFood Discussion Papers 198717, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- repec:eee:jfpoli:v:72:y:2017:i:c:p:81-93 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yu, X. & Zhang, X. & You, L., 2018. "Does The Granary County Subsidy Policy Lead to Manipulation of Grain Production Data in China? Evidence from a Natural Experiment," 2018 Conference, July 28-August 2, 2018, Vancouver, British Columbia 277298, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- repec:eee:jfpoli:v:72:y:2017:i:c:p:43-52 is not listed on IDEAS
More about this item
KeywordsUndernourishment; India; Household Consumption and Expenditure Surveys; Food consumed away from home;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jfpoli:v:50:y:2015:i:c:p:53-67. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/foodpol .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.