Poverty Measurement: We Know Less Than Policy Makers Realize
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- John Gibson, 2016. "Poverty Measurement: We Know Less than Policy Makers Realize," Asia and the Pacific Policy Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(3), pages 430-442, September.
- John Gibson, 2016. "Poverty Measurement: We Know Less than Policy Makers Realize," Asia and the Pacific Policy Studies 201633, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
References listed on IDEAS
- repec:pri:rpdevs:deaton_price_indexes_inequality_and_the_measurement_of_world_poverty_aer. is not listed on IDEAS
- Beegle, Kathleen & De Weerdt, Joachim & Friedman, Jed & Gibson, John, 2012.
"Methods of household consumption measurement through surveys: Experimental results from Tanzania,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 3-18.
- Beegle, Kathleen & De Weerdt, Joachim & Friedman, Jed & Gibson, John, 2010. "Methods of household consumption measurement through surveys : experimental results from Tanzania," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5501, The World Bank.
- Shaohua Chen & Martin Ravallion, 2013.
"More Relatively-Poor People in a Less Absolutely-Poor World,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 59(1), pages 1-28, March.
- Chen, Shaohua & Ravallion, Martin, 2012. "More relatively-poor people in a less absolutely-poor world," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6114, The World Bank.
- Martin Ravallion & Shaohua Chen & Prem Sangraula, 2007.
"New Evidence on the Urbanization of Global Poverty,"
Population and Development Review,
The Population Council, Inc., vol. 33(4), pages 667-701.
- Ravallion, Martin & Chen, Shaohua & Sangraula, Prem, 2007. "New evidence on the urbanization of global poverty," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4199, The World Bank.
- Hengyun Ma & Jikun Huang & Frank Fuller & Scott Rozelle, 2006.
"Getting Rich and Eating Out: Consumption of Food Away from Home in Urban China,"
Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie,
Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 54(1), pages 101-119, March.
- Ma, Hengyun & Huang, Jikun & Fuller, Frank H. & Rozelle, Scott, 2006. "Getting Rich and Eating Out: Consumption of Food Away from Home in Urban China," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12499, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Maxim Pinkovskiy & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2014.
"Lights, Camera,... Income!: Estimating Poverty Using National Accounts, Survey Means, and Lights,"
NBER Working Papers
19831, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pinkovskiy, Maxim L. & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier X., 2014. "Lights, camera,...income! Estimating poverty using national accounts, survey means, and lights," Staff Reports 669, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, revised 01 Jan 2015.
- Angus Deaton, 2010.
"Price Indexes, Inequality, and the Measurement of World Poverty,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 100(1), pages 5-34, March.
- Angus Deaton, 2010. "Price indexes, inequality, and the measurement of world poverty," Working Papers 1207, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Research Program in Development Studies..
- repec:pri:rpdevs:presidential%20address%2017january%202010%20all.pdf is not listed on IDEAS
- Timothy N. Bond & Kevin Lang, 2014. "The Sad Truth About Happiness Scales," NBER Working Papers 19950, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Angus Deaton & Olivier Dupriez, 2011.
"Purchasing Power Parity Exchange Rates for the Global Poor,"
American Economic Journal: Applied Economics,
American Economic Association, vol. 3(2), pages 137-166, April.
- Angus Deaton & Olivier Dupriez, 2009. "Purchasing power parity exchange rates for the global poor," Working Papers 1187, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Research Program in Development Studies..
- World Bank Group, 2015. "A Measured Approach to Ending Poverty and Boosting Shared Prosperity : Concepts, Data, and the Twin Goals," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 20384, August.
- Martin Ravallion, 2016. "Toward better global poverty measures," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 14(2), pages 227-248, June.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joshua D. Gottlieb & Oren Ziv, 2016. "Unhappy Cities," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34(S2), pages 129-182.
- Chao Li & John Gibson, 2014. "Spatial Price Differences and Inequality in the People's Republic of China: Housing Market Evidence," Asian Development Review, MIT Press, vol. 31(1), pages 92-120, March.
- repec:pri:rpdevs:presidential%20address%2017january%202010%20all is not listed on IDEAS
- Ravallion, Martin & Lokshin, Michael, 2001.
"Identifying Welfare Effects from Subjective Questions,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 68(271), pages 335-357, August.
- Ravallion, Martin & Lokshin, Michael, 2000. "Identifying welfare effects from subjective questions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2301, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2012. "Well Begun, Not Yet Done : Vietnam's Remarkable Progress on Poverty Reduction and the Emerging Challenges," World Bank Other Operational Studies 12326, The World Bank.
- Gibson, John & Kim, Bonggeun, 2015. "Hicksian separability does not hold over space: Implications for the design of household surveys and price questionnaires," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 114(C), pages 34-40.
- Smith, Lisa C., 2015. "The great Indian calorie debate: Explaining rising undernourishment during India’s rapid economic growth," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 53-67.
- Ravallion, Martin & Datt, Gaurav & van de Walle, Dominique, 1991. "Quantifying Absolute Poverty in the Developing World," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 37(4), pages 345-361, December.
- Dean Jolliffe, 2006. "Poverty, Prices, and Place: How Sensitive is the Spatial Distribution of Poverty to Cost of Living Adjustments?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 44(2), pages 296-310, April.
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 1992. "Growth and redistribution components of changes in poverty measures : A decomposition with applications to Brazil and India in the 1980s," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 275-295, April.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:eee:wdevel:v:103:y:2018:i:c:p:297-310 is not listed on IDEAS
More about this item
Keywordshappiness; household surveys; inequality; poverty; prices; shared prosperity;
- O15 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- I38 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Government Programs; Provision and Effects of Welfare Programs
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2015-10-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-CNA-2015-10-17 (China)
- NEP-TRA-2015-10-17 (Transition Economics)
- NEP-URE-2015-10-17 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wai:econwp:15/08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Brian Silverstone). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/dewaknz.html .