Calorie Elasticities with Income Dynamics: Evidence from the Literature
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- De Zhou & Xiaohua Yu, 2015. "Calorie Elasticities with Income Dynamics: Evidence from the Literature," Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 37(4), pages 575-601.
References listed on IDEAS
- Xiaohua Yu & David Abler, 2009. "The Demand for Food Quality in Rural China," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(1), pages 57-69.
- Conway, Karen Smith & Deb, Partha, 2005.
"Is prenatal care really ineffective? Or, is the 'devil' in the distribution?,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 489-513, May.
- Partha Deb & Karen Smith Conway, 2002. "Is Prenatal Care Really Ineffective? Or, is the 'Devil' in the Distribution?," Economics Working Paper Archive at Hunter College 02/2, Hunter College Department of Economics.
- Xu Tian & Xiaohua Yu, 2013. "The Demand for Nutrients in China," Frontiers of Economics in China, Higher Education Press, vol. 8(2), pages 186-206, June.
- Skoufias, Emmanuel, 2003. "Is the Calorie-Income Elasticity Sensitive to Price Changes? Evidence from Indonesia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1291-1307, July.
- Behrman, Jere R & Deolalikar, Anil B, 1987. "Will Developing Country Nutrition Improve with Income? A Case Study for Rural South India," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(3), pages 492-507, June.
- Bouis, Howarth E., 1994. "The effect of income on demand for food in poor countries: Are our food consumption databases giving us reliable estimates?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 199-226, June.
- Abdulai, Awudu & Aubert, Dominique, 2004. "Nonparametric and parametric analysis of calorie consumption in Tanzania," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 113-129, April.
- Gallet, Craig A., 2010.
"The income elasticity of meat: a meta-analysis,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 54(4), December.
- Craig A. Gallet, 2010. "The income elasticity of meat: a meta-analysis," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 54(4), pages 477-490, October.
- Bouis, Howarth E. & Haddad, Lawrence J., 1992. "Are estimates of calorie-income fxelasticities too high? : A recalibration of the plausible range," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 333-364, October.
- Ogundari, Kolawole & Abdulai, Awudu, 2013. "Examining the heterogeneity in calorie–income elasticities: A meta-analysis," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 119-128.
- Bouis, Howarth & Haddad, Lawrence & Kennedy, Eileen, 1992. "Does it matter how we survey demand for food?: Evidence from Kenya and the Philippines," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 349-360, October.
- Pitt, Mark M, 1983. "Food Preferences and Nutrition in Rural Bangladesh," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(1), pages 105-114, February.
- Behrman, Jere R. & Wolfe, Barbara L., 1984. "More evidence on nutrition demand : Income seems overrated and women's schooling underemphasized," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 105-128.
- Matthew J. Salois & Richard Tiffin & Kelvin G. Balcombe, 2012. "Impact of Income on Nutrient Intakes: Implications for Undernourishment and Obesity," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(12), pages 1716-1730, December.
- Subramanian, Shankar & Deaton, Angus, 1996. "The Demand for Food and Calories," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 133-162, February.
- Shaohua Chen & Martin Ravallion, 2010.
"The Developing World is Poorer than We Thought, But No Less Successful in the Fight Against Poverty,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 125(4), pages 1577-1625.
- Chen, Shaohua & Ravallion, Martin, 2008. "The developing world is poorer than we thought, but no less successful in the fight against poverty," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4703, The World Bank.
- Behrman, Jere R. & Foster, Andrew D. & Rosenzweig, Mark R., 1997.
"The dynamics of agricultural production and the calorie-income relationship: Evidence from Pakistan,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 187-207, March.
- Jere Behrman & Mark Rosenzweig & Andrew D. Foster, "undated". "The Dynamics of Agricultural Production and the Calorie-Income Relationship: Evidence from Pakistan," Home Pages _069, University of Pennsylvania.
- Robert T. Jensen & Nolan H. Miller, 2010. "A Revealed Preference Approach to Measuring Hunger and Undernutrition," NBER Working Papers 16555, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Strauss, John, 1984. "Joint determination of food consumption and production in rural Sierra Leone : Estimates of a household-firm model," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 77-103.
- Tian, Xu & Yu, Xiaohua, 2012.
"The Enigmas of TFP in China: A meta-analysis,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 396-414.
- Xu Tian & Xiaohua Yu, 2012. "The Enigmas of TFP in China: A Meta-Analysis," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 113, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Emmanuel Skoufias & Vincenzo Di Maro & Teresa Gonzalez-Cossio & Sonia Rodriguez Ramirez, 2011. "Food quality, calories and household income," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(28), pages 4331-4342.
- Logan, Trevon D., 2006. "Nutrition and Well-Being in the Late Nineteenth Century," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 66(02), pages 313-341, June.
- Robert T. Jensen & Nolan H. Miller, 2011. "Do Consumer Price Subsidies Really Improve Nutrition?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 93(4), pages 1205-1223, November.
- Kuo S. Huang, 1996. "Nutrient Elasticities in a Complete Food Demand System," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(1), pages 21-29.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Santeramo, Fabio Gaetano & Carlucci, Domenico & De Devitiis, Biagia & Seccia, Antonio & Stasi, Antonio & Viscecchia, Rosaria & Nardone, Gianluca, 2017. "Emerging trends in European food, diets and food industry," MPRA Paper 82105, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Patricia C Melo & Yakubu Abdul-Salam & Deborah Roberts & Alana Gilbert & Robin Matthews & Liesbeth Colen & Sergio Gomez Y Paloma, 2015. "Income Elasticities of Food Demand in Africa: A Meta-Analysis," JRC Working Papers JRC98812, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
- Santeramo, Fabio Gaetano & Shabnam, Nadia, 2015. "The income-elasticity of calories, macro and micro nutrients: What is the literature telling us?," MPRA Paper 63754, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Melo, P. C. & Abdul-Salam, Yakubu & Roberts, D. & Colen, L. & Mary, S. & Gomez Y Paloma, S., 2016. "Income growth and malnutrition in Africa: Is there a need for region-specific policies?," 90th Annual Conference, April 4-6, 2016, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 236372, Agricultural Economics Society.
- François Gardes & Noël Thiombiano, 2017. "The value of time and expenditures of rural households in Burkina Faso: a domestic production framework," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 17027, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Arsham Reisinezhad, 2018. "Economic Growth and Income Inequality in Resource Countries: Theory and Evidence," PSE Working Papers halshs-01707976, HAL.
- Xiaohua Yu & Satoru Shimokawa, 2016. "Nutritional impacts of rising food prices in African countries: a review," Food Security: The Science, Sociology and Economics of Food Production and Access to Food, Springer;The International Society for Plant Pathology, vol. 8(5), pages 985-997, October.
- Tian, Xu & Yu, Xiaohua, 2015. "Using semiparametric models to study nutrition improvement and dietary change with different indices: The case of China," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 67-81.
- François Gardes & Noël Thiombiano, 2017. "The value of time and expenditures of rural households in Burkina Faso: a domestic production framework," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-01535172, HAL.
More about this item
KeywordsAgricultural and Food Policy; Demand and Price Analysis; Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety; Food Security and Poverty;
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2015-02-05 (Agricultural Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:gagfdp:168529. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/iagoede.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.