Scales, strategies and actions for effective energy planning: A review
This paper is a review of the most recent literature on the interaction between climate change, land-use and energy, based on the analysis of papers collected through the most relevant scientific literature databases. A total of 114 papers published between 2000 and 2011 were reviewed. The aims of this review are: in general (1) to identify the different research topics that have been developed related to the interaction between climate change, land-use and energy; more specifically, (2) to analyze what are the most suitable spatial and temporal scales of investigation to focus on for actions and strategies to reduce critical issues in the field of energy and environment; (3) to identify which actions and strategies are deemed as the most appropriate to mitigate critical issues in energy and environment; and given the research gaps found in the review, (4) to propose research recommendations in the context of effective climate-energy planning. We argue that there are certain gaps and needs for a “nested” environmental governance. It is necessary to understand how different environmental policies overlap and how they can be integrated in order to verify whether there are conflicting targets that may negate each other in the long term.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shrestha, Ram M. & O.P. Marpaung, Charles, 2002. "Supply- and demand-side effects of power sector planning with CO2 mitigation constraints in a developing country," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 271-286.
- Stéphane Hallegatte & Jan Corfee-Morlot, 2011. "Understanding climate change impacts, vulnerability and adaptation at city scale: an introduction," Climatic Change, Springer, vol. 104(1), pages 1-12, January.
- Keirstead, James & Schulz, Niels B., 2010. "London and beyond: Taking a closer look at urban energy policy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(9), pages 4870-4879, September.
- Jovanovic, Marina & Afgan, Naim & Bakic, Vukman, 2010. "An analytical method for the measurement of energy system sustainability in urban areas," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 3909-3920.
- Taseska, V. & Markovska, N. & Causevski, A. & Bosevski, T. & Pop-Jordanov, J., 2011. "Greenhouse gases (GHG) emissions reduction in a power system predominantly based on lignite," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 2266-2270.
- Bilen, K. & Ozyurt, O. & BakIrcI, K. & KarslI, S. & Erdogan, S. & YIlmaz, M. & ComaklI, O., 2008. "Energy production, consumption, and environmental pollution for sustainable development: A case study in Turkey," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(6), pages 1529-1561, August.
- de Lucena, André Frossard Pereira & Szklo, Alexandre Salem & Schaeffer, Roberto & de Souza, Raquel Rodrigues & Borba, Bruno Soares Moreira Cesar & da Costa, Isabella Vaz Leal & Júnior, Amaro Olimpio P, 2009. "The vulnerability of renewable energy to climate change in Brazil," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 879-889, March.
- Burkett, Virginia, 2011. "Global climate change implications for coastal and offshore oil and gas development," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(12), pages 7719-7725.
- Parshall, Lily & Gurney, Kevin & Hammer, Stephen A. & Mendoza, Daniel & Zhou, Yuyu & Geethakumar, Sarath, 2010. "Modeling energy consumption and CO2 emissions at the urban scale: Methodological challenges and insights from the United States," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(9), pages 4765-4782, September.
- Singh, H. & Muetze, A. & Eames, P.C., 2010. "Factors influencing the uptake of heat pump technology by the UK domestic sector," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 873-878.
- Tolón-Becerra, A. & Lastra-Bravo, X. & Botta, G.F., 2010. "Methodological proposal for territorial distribution of the percentage reduction in gross inland energy consumption according to the EU energy policy strategic goal," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 7093-7105, November.
- Tolón-Becerra, A. & Lastra-Bravo, X. & Bienvenido-Bárcena, F., 2010. "Methodology proposal for territorial distribution of greenhouse gas reduction percentages in the EU according to the strategic energy policy goal," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(11), pages 3552-3564, November.
- Schmidt, Johannes & Leduc, Sylvain & Dotzauer, Erik & Schmid, Erwin, 2011. "Cost-effective policy instruments for greenhouse gas emission reduction and fossil fuel substitution through bioenergy production in Austria," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 3261-3280, June.
- Stéphane Hallegatte & Fanny Henriet & Jan Corfee-Morlot, 2011.
"The economics of climate change impacts and policy benefits at city scale: a conceptual framework,"
Springer, vol. 104(1), pages 51-87, January.
- Stéphane Hallegatte & Fanny Henriet & Jan Corfee-Morlot, 2008. "The Economics of Climate Change Impacts and Policy Benefits at City Scale: A Conceptual Framework," OECD Environment Working Papers 4, OECD Publishing.
- Vemuri, Amanda W. & Costanza, Robert, 2006. "The role of human, social, built, and natural capital in explaining life satisfaction at the country level: Toward a National Well-Being Index (NWI)," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 119-133, June.
- Denholm, Paul & Margolis, Robert M., 2008. "Land-use requirements and the per-capita solar footprint for photovoltaic generation in the United States," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 3531-3543, September.
- Yang, Yulan & Li, Baizhan & Yao, Runming, 2010. "A method of identifying and weighting indicators of energy efficiency assessment in Chinese residential buildings," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(12), pages 7687-7697, December.
- Thatcher, Marcus J., 2007. "Modelling changes to electricity demand load duration curves as a consequence of predicted climate change for Australia," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1647-1659.
- Radulovic, Dusko & Skok, Srdjan & Kirincic, Vedran, 2011. "Energy efficiency public lighting management in the cities," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1908-1915.
- Hekkenberg, M. & Moll, H.C. & Uiterkamp, A.J.M. Schoot, 2009. "Dynamic temperature dependence patterns in future energy demand models in the context of climate change," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 1797-1806.
- Chung, Whan-Sam & Tohno, Susumu & Shim, Sang Yul, 2009. "An estimation of energy and GHG emission intensity caused by energy consumption in Korea: An energy IO approach," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(10), pages 1902-1914, October.
- Ruth, Matthias & Lin, Ai-Chen, 2006. "Regional energy demand and adaptations to climate change: Methodology and application to the state of Maryland, USA," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(17), pages 2820-2833, November.
- Chicco, Gianfranco & Mancarella, Pierluigi, 2009. "Distributed multi-generation: A comprehensive view," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 535-551, April.
- Manfren, Massimiliano & Caputo, Paola & Costa, Gaia, 2011. "Paradigm shift in urban energy systems through distributed generation: Methods and models," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(4), pages 1032-1048, April.
- Hernandez, Felix & Gual, Miguel Angel & Rio, Pablo Del & Caparros, Alejandro, 2004. "Energy sustainability and global warming in Spain," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 383-394, February.
- Mongelli, I. & Tassielli, G. & Notarnicola, B., 2006. "Global warming agreements, international trade and energy/carbon embodiments: an input-output approach to the Italian case," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 88-100, January.
- Kennedy, Scott & Sgouridis, Sgouris, 2011. "Rigorous classification and carbon accounting principles for low and Zero Carbon Cities," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 5259-5268, September.
- Florini, Ann & Sovacool, Benjamin K., 2009. "Who governs energy? The challenges facing global energy governance," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5239-5248, December.
- Petrosillo, Irene & Semeraro, Teodoro & Zurlini, Giovanni, 2010. "Detecting the 'conservation effect' on the maintenance of natural capital flow in different natural parks," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(5), pages 1115-1123, March.
- Phdungsilp, Aumnad, 2010. "Integrated energy and carbon modeling with a decision support system: Policy scenarios for low-carbon city development in Bangkok," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(9), pages 4808-4817, September.
- Buys, Piet & Deichmann, Uwe & Meisner, Craig & Ton-That, Thao & Wheeler, David, 2007. "Country stakes in climate change negotiations : two dimensions of vulnerability," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4300, The World Bank.
- Hull, David & Ó Gallachóir, Brian P. & Walker, Neil, 2009. "Development of a modelling framework in response to new European energy-efficiency regulatory obligations: The Irish experience," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5363-5375, December.
- Bolund, Per & Hunhammar, Sven, 1999. "Ecosystem services in urban areas," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 293-301, May.
- Hein, Lars & van Koppen, Kris & de Groot, Rudolf S. & van Ierland, Ekko C., 2006. "Spatial scales, stakeholders and the valuation of ecosystem services," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 209-228, May.
- Costa, Andrea & Paris, Jean & Towers, Michael & Browne, Thomas, 2007. "Economics of trigeneration in a kraft pulp mill for enhanced energy efficiency and reduced GHG emissions," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 474-481.
- Rubio-Maya, Carlos & Uche-Marcuello, Javier & Martínez-Gracia, Amaya & Bayod-Rújula, Angel A., 2011. "Design optimization of a polygeneration plant fuelled by natural gas and renewable energy sources," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 449-457, February.
- Shukla, P.R. & Dhar, Subash & Victor, David G. & Jackson, Mike, 2009. "Assessment of demand for natural gas from the electricity sector in India," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3520-3534, September.
- Oikonomou, Emmanouil K. & Kilias, Vassilios & Goumas, Aggelos & Rigopoulos, Alexandrous & Karakatsani, Eirini & Damasiotis, Markos & Papastefanakis, Dimitrios & Marini, Natassa, 2009. "Renewable energy sources (RES) projects and their barriers on a regional scale: The case study of wind parks in the Dodecanese islands, Greece," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4874-4883, November.
- Coaffee, Jon, 2008. "Risk, resilience, and environmentally sustainable cities," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 4633-4638, December.
- Tolón-Becerra, A. & Lastra-Bravo, X. & Bienvenido-Bárcena, F., 2011. "Proposal for territorial distribution of the EU 2020 political renewable energy goal," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 2067-2077.
- Kennedy, Christopher & Steinberger, Julia & Gasson, Barrie & Hansen, Yvonne & Hillman, Timothy & Havránek, Miroslav & Pataki, Diane & Phdungsilp, Aumnad & Ramaswami, Anu & Mendez, Gara Villalba, 2010. "Methodology for inventorying greenhouse gas emissions from global cities," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(9), pages 4828-4837, September.
- Sperling, Karl & Hvelplund, Frede & Mathiesen, Brian Vad, 2011. "Centralisation and decentralisation in strategic municipal energy planning in Denmark," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 1338-1351, March.
- Jan Corfee-Morlot & Ian Cochran & Stéphane Hallegatte & Pierre-Jonathan Teasdale, 2011. "Multilevel risk governance and urban adaptation policy," Climatic Change, Springer, vol. 104(1), pages 169-197, January.
- Schaeffer, Roberto & Szklo, Alexandre Salem & Pereira de Lucena, André Frossard & Moreira Cesar Borba, Bruno Soares & Pupo Nogueira, Larissa Pinheiro & Fleming, Fernanda Pereira & Troccoli, Alberto & , 2012. "Energy sector vulnerability to climate change: A review," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 1-12.
- Sovacool, Benjamin K., 2011. "An international comparison of four polycentric approaches to climate and energy governance," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 3832-3844, June.
- James Keirstead & Matt Leach, 2008. "Bridging the gaps between theory and practice: a service niche approach to urban sustainability indicators," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(5), pages 329-340.
- Salon, Deborah & Sperling, Daniel & Meier, Alan & Murphy, Sinnott & Gorham, Roger & Barrett, James, 2010. "City carbon budgets: A proposal to align incentives for climate-friendly communities," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 2032-2041, April.
- D' Avignon, Alexander & Carloni, Flávia Azevedo & Rovere, Emilio Lèbre La & Dubeux, Carolina Burle Schmidt, 2010. "Emission inventory: An urban public policy instrument and benchmark," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(9), pages 4838-4847, September.
- Limburg, Karin E. & O'Neill, Robert V. & Costanza, Robert & Farber, Stephen, 2002. "Complex systems and valuation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 409-420, June.
- Sovacool, Benjamin K. & Brown, Marilyn A., 2010. "Twelve metropolitan carbon footprints: A preliminary comparative global assessment," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(9), pages 4856-4869, September.
- Xi, Fengming & Geng, Yong & Chen, Xudong & Zhang, Yunsong & Wang, Xinbei & Xue, Bing & Dong, Huijuan & Liu, Zhu & Ren, Wanxia & Fujita, Tsuyoshi & Zhu, Qinghua, 2011. "Contributing to local policy making on GHG emission reduction through inventorying and attribution: A case study of Shenyang, China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 5999-6010, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:65:y:2014:i:c:p:165-174. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.