Distributed multi-generation: A comprehensive view
The recent development of efficient thermal prime movers for distributed generation is changing the focus of the production of electricity from large centralized power plants to local generation units scattered over the territory. The scientific community is addressing the analysis and planning of distributed energy resources with widespread approaches, taking into account technical, environmental, economic and social issues. The coupling of cogeneration systems to absorption/electric chillers or heat pumps, as well as the interactions with renewable sources, allow for setting up multi-generation systems for combined local production of different energy vectors such as electricity, heat (at different enthalpy levels), cooling power, hydrogen, various chemical substances, and so forth. Adoption of composite multi-generation systems may lead to significant benefits in terms of higher energy efficiency, reduced CO2 emissions, and enhanced economy. In this light, a key direction for improving the characteristics of the local energy production concerns the integration of the concepts of distributed energy resources and combined production of different energy vectors into a comprehensive distributed multi-generation (DMG) framework that entails various approaches to energy planning currently available in the literature. This paper outlines the main aspects of the DMG framework, illustrating its characteristics and summarizing the relevant DMG structures. The presentation is backed by an extended review of the most recent journal publications and reports.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 13 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zoulias, E.I. & Glockner, R. & Lymberopoulos, N. & Tsoutsos, T. & Vosseler, I. & Gavalda, O. & Mydske, H.J. & Taylor, P., 2006. "Integration of hydrogen energy technologies in stand-alone power systems analysis of the current potential for applications," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 432-462, October.
- Aki, Hirohisa & Oyama, Tsutomu & Tsuji, Kiichiro, 2006. "Analysis of energy service systems in urban areas and their CO2 mitigations and economic impacts," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 83(10), pages 1076-1088, October.
- Chicco, Gianfranco & Mancarella, Pierluigi, 2007. "Trigeneration primary energy saving evaluation for energy planning and policy development," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 6132-6144, December.
- Crawford, R.H. & Treloar, G.J. & Fuller, R.J. & Bazilian, M., 2006. "Life-cycle energy analysis of building integrated photovoltaic systems (BiPVs) with heat recovery unit," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 10(6), pages 559-575, December.
- Daou, K. & Wang, R.Z. & Xia, Z.Z., 2006. "Desiccant cooling air conditioning: a review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 55-77, April.
- El-Fadel, M. & Chedid, R. & Zeinati, M. & Hmaidan, W., 2003. "Mitigating energy-related GHG emissions through renewable energy," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1257-1276.
- Karlsson, Asa & Gustavsson, Leif, 2003. "External costs and taxes in heat supply systems," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(14), pages 1541-1560, November.
- Rong, Aiying & Lahdelma, Risto, 2005. "An efficient linear programming model and optimization algorithm for trigeneration," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 40-63, September.
- Jebaraj, S. & Iniyan, S., 2006. "A review of energy models," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 281-311, August.
- Penner, S.S., 2006. "Steps toward the hydrogen economy," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 33-43.
- Onovwiona, H.I. & Ugursal, V.I., 2006. "Residential cogeneration systems: review of the current technology," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 389-431, October.
- Pehnt, Martin, 2006. "Dynamic life cycle assessment (LCA) of renewable energy technologies," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 55-71.
- Strachan, Neil & Farrell, Alexander, 2006. "Emissions from distributed vs. centralized generation: The importance of system performance," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(17), pages 2677-2689, November.
- Maribu, Karl Magnus & Firestone, Ryan M. & Marnay, Chris & Siddiqui, Afzal S., 2007. "Distributed energy resources market diffusion model," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 4471-4484, September.
- Voorspools, Kris R. & Brouwers, Els A. & D'haeseleer, William D., 2000. "Energy content and indirect greenhouse gas emissions embedded in [`]emission-free' power plants: results for the Low Countries," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 307-330, November.
- Elhadidy, M.A., 2002. "Performance evaluation of hybrid (wind/solar/diesel) power systems," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 401-413.
- Cardona, E. & Piacentino, A., 2005. "Cogeneration: a regulatory framework toward growth," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(16), pages 2100-2111, November.
- Bode, Sven, 2006. "On multi-period emissions trading in the electricity sector," HWWA Discussion Papers 343, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Wietschel, Martin & Hasenauer, Ulrike & de Groot, Arend, 2006. "Development of European hydrogen infrastructure scenarios--CO2 reduction potential and infrastructure investment," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 1284-1298, July.
- Weisser, Daniel, 2007. "A guide to life-cycle greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from electric supply technologies," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1543-1559.
- Zhang, H.-F. & Ge, X.-S. & Ye, H., 2007. "Modeling of a space heating and cooling system with seasonal energy storage," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 51-58.
- Limmeechokchai, B. & Chungpaibulpatana, S., 2001. "Application of cool storage air-conditioning in the commercial sector: an integrated resource planning approach for power capacity expansion planning and emission reduction," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 289-300, March.
- Clark, Woodrow & Isherwood, William, 2004. "Distributed generation: remote power systems with advanced storage technologies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(14), pages 1573-1589, September.
- Sezgen, Osman & Goldman, C.A. & Krishnarao, P., 2007. "Option value of electricity demand response," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 108-119.
- Swisher, Joel N. & McAlpin, Maria C., 2006. "Environmental impact of electricity deregulation," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1067-1083.
- Gulli, Francesco, 2006. "Small distributed generation versus centralised supply: a social cost-benefit analysis in the residential and service sectors," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 804-832, May.
- Gulli, Francesco, 2006. "Social choice, uncertainty about external costs and trade-off between intergenerational environmental impacts: The emblematic case of gas-based energy supply decentralization," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 282-305, May.
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Smyth, Russell & Prasad, Arti, 2007. "Electricity consumption in G7 countries: A panel cointegration analysis of residential demand elasticities," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 4485-4494, September.
- Silveira, José Luz & Martins Leal, Elisângela & Ragonha, Luiz F, 2001. "Analysis of a molten carbonate fuel cell: cogeneration to produce electricity and cold water," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 26(10), pages 891-904.
- Lund, Henrik & Munster, Ebbe, 2006. "Integrated energy systems and local energy markets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 1152-1160, July.
- Kueck, John D. & Kirby, Brendan J., 2003. "The Distribution System of the Future," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 78-87, June.
- Raineri, R. & Rios, S. & Schiele, D., 2006. "Technical and economic aspects of ancillary services markets in the electric power industry: an international comparison," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(13), pages 1540-1555, September.
- Tsikalakis, A.G. & Hatziargyriou, N.D., 2007. "Environmental benefits of distributed generation with and without emissions trading," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 3395-3409, June.
- Khan, Faisal I. & Hawboldt, Kelly & Iqbal, M.T., 2005. "Life Cycle Analysis of wind–fuel cell integrated system," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 157-177.
- Gao, Lin & Jin, Hongguang & Liu, Zelong & Zheng, Danxing, 2004. "Exergy analysis of coal-based polygeneration system for power and chemical production," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 29(12), pages 2359-2371.
- Giorgio Vicini & Francesco Gracceva & Anil Markandya & Valeria Costantini, 2005.
"Security of Energy Supply: Comparing Scenarios From a European Perspective,"
2005.89, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Costantini, Valeria & Gracceva, Francesco & Markandya, Anil & Vicini, Giorgio, 2007. "Security of energy supply: Comparing scenarios from a European perspective," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 210-226, January.
- Maenpaa, Ilmo & Siikavirta, Hanne, 2007. "Greenhouse gases embodied in the international trade and final consumption of Finland: An input-output analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 128-143, January.
- Bolund, Björn & Bernhoff, Hans & Leijon, Mats, 2007. "Flywheel energy and power storage systems," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 235-258, February.
- McDowall, William & Eames, Malcolm, 2006. "Forecasts, scenarios, visions, backcasts and roadmaps to the hydrogen economy: A review of the hydrogen futures literature," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 1236-1250, July.
- Sakawa, Masatoshi & Kato, Kosuke & Ushiro, Satoshi, 2002. "Operational planning of district heating and cooling plants through genetic algorithms for mixed 0-1 linear programming," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(3), pages 677-687, March.
- Munoz, Miquel & Oschmann, Volker & David Tabara, J., 2007. "Harmonization of renewable electricity feed-in laws in the European Union," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 3104-3114, May.
- Shrestha, Ram M. & Marpaung, Charles O. P., 2005. "Supply- and demand-side effects of power sector planning with demand-side management options and SO2 emission constraints," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 815-825, April.
- Abu-Sharkh, S. & Arnold, R.J. & Kohler, J. & Li, R. & Markvart, T. & Ross, J.N. & Steemers, K. & Wilson, P. & Yao, R., 2006. "Can microgrids make a major contribution to UK energy supply?," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 78-127, April.
- Rong, Aiying & Lahdelma, Risto, 2007. "CO2 emissions trading planning in combined heat and power production via multi-period stochastic optimization," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(3), pages 1874-1895, February.
- Hernández-Santoyo, Joel & Sánchez-Cifuentes, Augusto, 2003. "Trigeneration: an alternative for energy savings," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 76(1-3), pages 219-227, September.
- Delarue, Erik & Lamberts, Hans & D’haeseleer, William, 2007. "Simulating greenhouse gas (GHG) allowance cost and GHG emission reduction in Western Europe," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1299-1309.
- Riva, Angelo & D'Angelosante, Simona & Trebeschi, Carla, 2006. "Natural gas and the environmental results of life cycle assessment," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 138-148.
- Bysveen, Marie, 2007. "Engine characteristics of emissions and performance using mixtures of natural gas and hydrogen," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 482-489.
- Asif, M. & Muneer, T., 2007. "Energy supply, its demand and security issues for developed and emerging economies," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(7), pages 1388-1413, September.
- Lund, Henrik, 2005. "Large-scale integration of wind power into different energy systems," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 30(13), pages 2402-2412.
- Levy, Roger, 2006. "A Vision of Demand Response - 2016," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(8), pages 12-23, October.
- Burer, M. & Tanaka, K. & Favrat, D. & Yamada, K., 2003. "Multi-criteria optimization of a district cogeneration plant integrating a solid oxide fuel cell–gas turbine combined cycle, heat pumps and chillers," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 497-518.
- Hondo, Hiroki, 2005. "Life cycle GHG emission analysis of power generation systems: Japanese case," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 2042-2056.
- Florides, G. A. & Tassou, S. A. & Kalogirou, S. A. & Wrobel, L. C., 2002. "Review of solar and low energy cooling technologies for buildings," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 6(6), pages 557-572, December.
- Alanne, Kari & Saari, Arto, 2006. "Distributed energy generation and sustainable development," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 10(6), pages 539-558, December.
- Oh, Si-Doek & Lee, Ho-Jun & Jung, Jung-Yeul & Kwak, Ho-Young, 2007. "Optimal planning and economic evaluation of cogeneration system," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 760-771.
- Bahaj, A.S. & James, P.A.B., 2007. "Urban energy generation: The added value of photovoltaics in social housing," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(9), pages 2121-2136, December.
- Kondili, E.M. & Kaldellis, J.K., 2007. "Biofuel implementation in East Europe: Current status and future prospects," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(9), pages 2137-2151, December.
- Bertoldi, Paolo & Huld, Thomas, 2006. "Tradable certificates for renewable electricity and energy savings," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 212-222, January.
- Arcuri, P. & Florio, G. & Fragiacomo, P., 2007. "A mixed integer programming model for optimal design of trigeneration in a hospital complex," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1430-1447.
- Fiaschi, Daniele & Carta, Riccardo, 2007. "CO2 abatement by co-firing of natural gas and biomass-derived gas in a gas turbine," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 549-567.
- Bode, Sven, 2006. "Multi-period emissions trading in the electricity sector--winners and losers," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 680-691, April.
- Bernal-Agustín, José L. & Dufo-López, Rodolfo & Rivas-Ascaso, David M., 2006. "Design of isolated hybrid systems minimizing costs and pollutant emissions," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(14), pages 2227-2244.
- Hiremath, R.B. & Shikha, S. & Ravindranath, N.H., 2007. "Decentralized energy planning; modeling and application--a review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 729-752, June.
- Allison, Juliann Emmons & Lents, Jim, 2002. "Encouraging distributed generation of power that improves air quality: can we have our cake and eat it too?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(9), pages 737-752, July.
- Coll-Mayor, Debora & Paget, Mia & Lightner, Eric, 2007. "Future intelligent power grids: Analysis of the vision in the European Union and the United States," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 2453-2465, April.
- De Ruyck, J. & Delattin, F. & Bram, S., 2007. "Co-utilization of biomass and natural gas in combined cycles through primary steam reforming of the natural gas," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 371-377.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:13:y:2009:i:3:p:535-551. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.