The Impact of Food Environment on Private Label versus Branded Produce Choice
Over the past two decades, retailers are providing more Private label foods (PL), which are directly competing with the National brand (NB) products. For years, PLs competed as generic and cheaper versions with their high-priced NB substitute. However, modern PLs have improved in product quality relative to NBs and are available in the premium, organic, and even produce sections with the goal to distinguish themselves from their competitors’ product lines. One of the fastest growing segments in the produce industry consists of triple-washed cello-packed spinach. Using a two-step Heckman model, we determine the impact of household purchase information, demographics, and food environment on PL spinach purchasing behavior. Given its regional dominance with regard to spinach production and fresh spinach consumption, we focus on households residing in the U.S. West. Results show that food environment is the main driver for PL spinach purchases. We determine that specialty stores might be traditional channels for purchasing organic PL spinach, while supercenters might take the role of the main outlet for conventional NBs. An understanding of what factors might encourage increased consumption of healthful foods is important to producers and marketers for developing effective strategies in order to reach beyond the traditional consumer base.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 10 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jafio|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhuang, Yan & Dimitri, Carolyn & Jaenicke, Edward C., 2009. "Consumer Choice of Private Label or National Brand: The case of organic and non-organic milk," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49207, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Jayson L. Lusk & Kathleen Brooks, 2010. "Who Participates in Household Scanning Panels?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 93(1), pages 226-240.
- Ward, Michael B. & Shimshack, Jay P. & Perloff, Jeffrey M. & Harris, J. Michael, 2002.
"Effects of the private-label invasion in food industries,"
22186, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael B. Ward & Jay P. Shimshack & Jeffrey M. Perloff & J. Michael Harris, 2002. "Effects of the Private-Label Invasion in Food Industries," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(4), pages 961-973.
- Anders, Sven & Ahmad, Waseem, 2011. "Private Label and National Brand Pricing and Promotional Strategies in Health Differentiated Product Categories: Canadian Evidence," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114223, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bontemps Christophe & Orozco Valerie & Réquillart Vincent & Trevisiol Audrey, 2005.
"Price Effects of Private Label Development,"
Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization,
De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-18, February.
- Connor, John M. & Peterson, Everett B., 1991.
"Market-Structure Determinants Of National Brand-Private Label Price Differences Of Manufactured Food Products,"
116099, Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance.
- Connor, John M & Peterson, Everett B, 1992. "Market-Structure Determinants of National Brand-Private Label Price Differences of Manufactured Food Products," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 157-71, June.
- Dettmann, Rachael L. & Dimitri, Carolyn, 2007. "Organic Consumers: A Demographic Portrayal of Organic Vegetable Consumption within the United States," 105th Seminar, March 8-10, 2007, Bologna, Italy 7899, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- André Bonfrer & Pradeep K. Chintagunta, 2004. "Store Brands: Who Buys Them and What Happens to Retail Prices When They Are Introduced?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 195-218, 03.
- Dimitri, Carolyn & Oberholtzer, Lydia, 2009. "Marketing U.S. Organic Foods: Recent Trends From Farms to Consumers," Economic Information Bulletin 58615, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Christophe Bontemps & Valérie Orozco & Vincent Réquillart, 2008.
"Private Labels, National Brands and Food Prices,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 1-22, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:bjafio:v:10:y:2012:i:1:n:9. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.