Private Labels, Rent Shifting And Consumer Welfare
This paper investigates a retailer's decision to introduce a private label and asks how the retailer's access to a private label may affect the pricing of substitute national brands. We consider a model with two vertically differentiated national brand manufacturers that negotiate sequentially with a monopolist retailer over two-part tariffs. We find that when the retailer decides to introduce a private label, this generates a price increase for one of the two national brands. Moreover, when we endogenise the order of negotiations, we find that i) the retailer?s private label is always introduced, and ii) the private label always causes a price increase for the high-quality national brand only. In our model, this price increase does not occur due to a price discrimination effect, as in Gabrielsen and Sørgard (2007) ["Private labels, price rivalry, and public policy", European Economic Review, (51), 403-424], but as a result of a rent-shifting effect. The welfare implications of private label introduction are discussed.
|Date of creation:||31 Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.uib.no/econ/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bontems, Philippe & Monier-Dilhan, Sylvette & Requillart, Vincent, 1999.
"Strategic Effects of Private Labels,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 147-65, June.
- Philippe Bontems & Sylvette Monier-Dilhan & Vincent RÃ©quillart, 1999. "Strategic effects of private labels," Working Papers 162412, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Philippe Bontems & Sylvette Monier-Dilhan & Vincent RÃ©quillart, 1999. "Strategic effects of private labels," Working Papers 156390, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Mills, David E, 1999. "Private Labels and Manufacturer Counterstrategies," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 125-45, June.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Aghion, Philippe & Bolton, Patrick, 1987. "Contracts as a Barrier to Entry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 388-401, June.
- Marx, Leslie M. & Shaffer, Greg, 2007. "Rent shifting and the order of negotiations," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 1109-1125, October.
- B. Douglas Bernheim & Michael D. Whinston, 1998.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(1), pages 64-103, February.
- B. Douglas Bernheim & Michael D. Whinston, 1996. "Exclusive Dealing," NBER Working Papers 5666, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernheim, B.D., 1992. "Exclusive Dealing," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1622, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- B. Douglas Bernheim & Michael D. Whinston, . "Exclusive Dealing," Working Papers 96008, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Michael B. Ward & Jay P. Shimshack & Jeffrey M. Perloff & J. Michael Harris, 2002.
"Effects of the Private-Label Invasion in Food Industries,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(4), pages 961-973.
- Ward, Michael B. & Shimshack, Jay P. & Perloff, Jeffrey M. & Harris, J. Michael, 2002. "Effects of the private-label invasion in food industries," MPRA Paper 22186, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bontemps, Christophe & Orozco, Valérie & Réquillart, Vincent, 2008.
"Private Labels, National Brands and Food Prices,"
IDEI Working Papers
402, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Staahl Gabrielsen, T. & Sorgard, L., 2000.
"Private Labels, Price Rivalry, and Public Policy,"
8/00, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Gabrielsen, Tommy Staahl & SÃ¸rgard, Lars, 2000. "Private Labels, Price Rivalry, and Public Policy," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt8wh900ks, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Sullivan, Mary W, 1997. "Slotting Allowances and the Market for New Products," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 40(2), pages 461-93, October.
- Bontemps Christophe & Orozco Valerie & Réquillart Vincent & Trevisiol Audrey, 2005.
"Price Effects of Private Label Development,"
Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization,
De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-18, February.
- Bergès-Sennou Fabian & Bontems Philippe & Réquillart Vincent, 2004. "Economics of Private Labels: A Survey of Literature," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-25, February.
- André Bonfrer & Pradeep K. Chintagunta, 2004. "Store Brands: Who Buys Them and What Happens to Retail Prices When They Are Introduced?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 195-218, 03.
- Mills, David E, 1995. "Why Retailers Sell Private Labels," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 509-28, Fall.
- Daniel P. O'Brien & Greg Shaffer, 1997. "Nonlinear Supply Contracts, Exclusive Dealing, and Equilibrium Market Foreclosure," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 755-785, December.
- Narasimhan, Chakravarthi & Wilcox, Ronald T, 1998. "Private Labels and the Channel Relationship: A Cross-Category Analysis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71(4), pages 573-600, October.
- Fabian Bergès-Sennou, 2006. "Store loyalty, bargaining power and the private label production issue," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(3), pages 315-335, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bergec:2012_002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kjell Erik Lommerud)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.