L'impact économique du développement des marques de distributeurs
In this article we survey the economic literature on private labels (PLs). The first section looks at PL growth. We analyzethe causes of private-label introduction by retailers and its impact on manufacturers and consumers. We compare ourconclusions with the findings of empirical studies. The third section discusses PL positioning. The fourth sectionexamines the link between PLs and retailers’ loyalty programs. The fifth section addresses the issues for manufacturersresulting from PL introduction. We conclude with some thoughts on PLs and their impact on social welfare. Keywords : industrial organization, vertical relationships, private labels, food industry
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Apr 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Économie et Prévision, n°189, 2009, p. 41-56.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manufacture des Tabacs, Aile Jean-Jacques Laffont, 21 Allée de Brienne, 31000 TOULOUSE|
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- K. Sudhir & Debabrata Talukdar, 2004. "Does Store Brand Patronage Improve Store Patronage?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 143-160, 03.
- Cotterill, Ronald W. & Putsis, William P., Jr. & Dhar, Ravi, 1999.
"Assessing the Competitive Interaction Between Private Labels and National Brands,"
25177, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Cotterill, Ronald W & Putsis, William P, Jr & Dhar, Ravi, 2000. "Assessing the Competitive Interaction between Private Labels and National Brands," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(1), pages 109-37, January.
- Ronald W. Cotterill & William P. Putsis Jr. & Ravi Dhar, 1999. "Assessing the Competitive Interaction Between Private Labels and National Brands," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 044, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- William P. Putsis Jr. & Ronald W. Cotterill & Ravi Dhar, 1999. "Assessing the Competitive Interaction between Private Labels and National Brands," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm131, Yale School of Management.
- Villas-Boas, Sofia B., 2007.
"Vertical relationships between manufacturers and retailers: inference with limited data,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt6gz1t778, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Sofia Berto Villas-Boas, 2007. "Vertical Relationships between Manufacturers and Retailers: Inference with Limited Data," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 74(2), pages 625-652.
- Villas-Boas, Sofia B., 2006. "Vertical relationships between manufacturers and retailers: inference with limited data," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt0z26d2v9, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Gabrielsen, Tommy Staahl & Sorgard, Lars, 2007.
"Private labels, price rivalry, and public policy,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 403-424, February.
- Gabrielsen, Tommy Staahl & SÃ¸rgard, Lars, 2000. "Private Labels, Price Rivalry, and Public Policy," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt8wh900ks, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Staahl Gabrielsen, T. & Sorgard, L., 2000. "Private Labels, Price Rivalry, and Public Policy," Papers 8/00, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Christophe Bontemps & Valérie Orozco & Vincent Réquillart, 2008.
"Private Labels, National Brands and Food Prices,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 1-22, August.
- André Bonfrer & Pradeep K. Chintagunta, 2004. "Store Brands: Who Buys Them and What Happens to Retail Prices When They Are Introduced?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 195-218, 03.
- Bontemps, Christophe & Orozco, Valérie & Réquillart, Vincent, 2005.
"Confirming the Price Effects of Private Labels Development,"
IDEI Working Papers
367, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Bontemps, Christophe & Orozco, Valerie & Requillart, Vincent, 2005. "Confirming the Price Effects of Private Labels Development," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24735, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bontemps, C. & Orozco, V. & Réquillart, V., 2005. "Confirming the price effects of private labels development," Economics Working Paper Archive (Toulouse) 200506, French Institute for Agronomy Research (INRA), Economics Laboratory in Toulouse (ESR Toulouse).
- Bontemps, Christophe & Orozco, Valérie & Réquillart, Vincent & Trévisiol, Audrey, 2004.
"Price Effects of Private Labels Development,"
IDEI Working Papers
299, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Bontemps Christophe & Orozco Valerie & Réquillart Vincent & Trevisiol Audrey, 2005. "Price Effects of Private Label Development," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-18, February.
- Sanjay K. Dhar & Stephen J. Hoch, 1997. "Why Store Brand Penetration Varies by Retailer," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(3), pages 208-227.
- Patrick Rey, 1997. "Impact des accords verticaux entre producteurs et distributeurs," Revue Française d'Économie, Programme National Persée, vol. 12(2), pages 3-55.
- Serdar Sayman & Stephen J. Hoch & Jagmohan S. Raju, 2002. "Positioning of Store Brands," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(4), pages 378-397, June.
- Michael B. Ward & Jay P. Shimshack & Jeffrey M. Perloff & J. Michael Harris, 2002.
"Effects of the Private-Label Invasion in Food Industries,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(4), pages 961-973.
- Ward, Michael B. & Shimshack, Jay P. & Perloff, Jeffrey M. & Harris, J. Michael, 2002. "Effects of the private-label invasion in food industries," MPRA Paper 22186, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- G. Galizzi & L. Venturini & S. Boccaletti, 1997. "Vertical relationships and dual branding strategies in the Italian food industry," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(2), pages 185-195.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:1989:i:15-16:p:04 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dobson, Paul W & Waterson, Michael, 1997. "Countervailing Power and Consumer Prices," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(441), pages 418-30, March.
- Manez, J.A. & Waterson, M., 2001. "Multiproduct Firms and Product Differentiation: a Survey," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 594, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Champsaur, Paul & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1989.
Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 533-57, May.
- Bontems, Philippe & Monier-Dilhan, Sylvette & Requillart, Vincent, 1999. "Strategic Effects of Private Labels," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 147-65, June.
- Mills, David E, 1995. "Why Retailers Sell Private Labels," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 509-28, Fall.
- Fiona Scott Morton & Florian Zettelmeyer, 2004. "The Strategic Positioning of Store Brands in Retailer--Manufacturer Negotiations," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 161-194, 03.
- Avenel, E. & Caprice, S., 2006. "Upstream market power and product line differentiation in retailing," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 319-334, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ide:wpaper:7136. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.