Store Vs. National Brands: A Product Line Mix Puzzle
This paper examines retailers' strategic decisions about store brand introduction when each retailer can stock a limited number of brands. The different product line mix equilibria depend on demand parameters that measure the cross-effect across national and store brands and the cross-effect within each brand type, thus leading to a simple testable implication. Store brand introduction is determined by the combination of the three effects that result from replacing a national brand by a store brand; the direct effect, the exclusivity effect and the in-store effect. Interestingly enough, we identify conditions under which similar retailers take different decisions concerning their product line mix.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Guardia Civil, 22, Esc 2a, 1o, E-46020 VALENCIA|
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ronald Cotterill & William Putsis, 2000.
"Market Share and Price Setting Behavior for Private Labels and National Brands,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 17-39, August.
- Ronald W. Cotterill & William P. Putsis Jr. & Ravi Dhar, 2000. "Market Share and Price Setting Behavior For Private Labels and National Brands," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 051, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Cotterill, Ronald W. & Putsis, William P., Jr. & Dhar, Ravi, 2000. "Market Share and Price Setting Behavior For Private Labels and National Brands," Research Reports 25209, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Gabrielsen, Tommy Staahl & Sorgard, Lars, 2007.
"Private labels, price rivalry, and public policy,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 403-424, February.
- Staahl Gabrielsen, T. & Sorgard, L., 2000. "Private Labels, Price Rivalry, and Public Policy," Papers 8/00, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Gabrielsen, Tommy Staahl & SÃ¸rgard, Lars, 2000. "Private Labels, Price Rivalry, and Public Policy," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt8wh900ks, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Narasimhan, Chakravarthi & Wilcox, Ronald T, 1998. "Private Labels and the Channel Relationship: A Cross-Category Analysis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71(4), pages 573-600, October.
- Mills, David E, 1995. "Why Retailers Sell Private Labels," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 509-28, Fall.
- Bontems, Philippe & Monier-Dilhan, Sylvette & Requillart, Vincent, 1999. "Strategic Effects of Private Labels," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 147-65, June.
- Mills, David E, 1999. "Private Labels and Manufacturer Counterstrategies," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 125-45, June.
- Vrinda Kadiyali & Pradeep Chintagunta & Naufel Vilcassim, 2000. "Manufacturer-Retailer Channel Interactions and Implications for Channel Power: An Empirical Investigation of Pricing in a Local Market," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(2), pages 127-148, September.
- Jagmohan S. Raju & Raj Sethuraman & Sanjay K. Dhar, 1995. "The Introduction and Performance of Store Brands," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(6), pages 957-978, June.
- Ward, Michael B. & Shimshack, Jay P. & Perloff, Jeffrey M. & Harris, J. Michael, 2002.
"Effects of the private-label invasion in food industries,"
22186, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael B. Ward & Jay P. Shimshack & Jeffrey M. Perloff & J. Michael Harris, 2002. "Effects of the Private-Label Invasion in Food Industries," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(4), pages 961-973.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:2007-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.