The Impact of Food Environment on Branded vs. Private Label Produce Choice
Over the past two decades, U.S. food retailers are providing more organic private label foods (PLs) which are directly competing with the National Brand (NB) products. From a policy perspective, an increased availability of high-quality PL products might provide consumers with a more affordable way to cover their produce consumption. Using a two-step Heckman selection model, we estimate the impact of purchase information, demographics, and food environment on the purchasing likelihood and expenditure shares of PL organic vs. conventional spinach. Results show that food context, most notably food availability, access, and adult obesity rate, significantly influences organic PL spinach choice.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhuang, Yan & Dimitri, Carolyn & Jaenicke, Edward C., 2009. "Consumer Choice of Private Label or National Brand: The case of organic and non-organic milk," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49207, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Connor, John M. & Peterson, Everett B., 1991.
"Market-Structure Determinants Of National Brand-Private Label Price Differences Of Manufactured Food Products,"
116099, Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance.
- Connor, John M & Peterson, Everett B, 1992. "Market-Structure Determinants of National Brand-Private Label Price Differences of Manufactured Food Products," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 157-71, June.
- Dimitri, Carolyn & Greene, Catherine R., 2002. "Recent Growth Patterns In The U.S. Organic Foods Market," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33715, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Anders, Sven M. & Ahmad, Waseem, 2011. "Private Label and National Brand Pricing and Promotional Strategies in Health Differentiated Product Categories: Canadian Evidence," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114223, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Heckman, James J, 1990. "Varieties of Selection Bias," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 313-18, May.
- Dettmann, Rachael L. & Dimitri, Carolyn, 2007. "Organic Consumers: A Demographic Portrayal of Organic Vegetable Consumption within the United States," 105th Seminar, March 8-10, 2007, Bologna, Italy 7899, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Schroeter, Christiane & House, Lisa & Lorence, Argelia, 2007. "Fruit and Vegetable Consumption among College Students in Arkansas and Florida: Food Culture vs. Health Knowledge," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 10(03).
- Lin, Biing-Hwan & Reed, Jane & Lucier, Gary, 2004. "U.S. Fruit and Vegetable Consumption: Who, What, Where, and How Much," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33699, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Jayson L. Lusk & Kathleen Brooks, 2010. "Who Participates in Household Scanning Panels?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 93(1), pages 226-240.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaeafe:123197. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.