European Economic Review
February 1996, Volume 40, Issue 2
- 491-494 The behaviour of state firms in eastern Europe, pre-privatization: A generalisation
by Kenway, Peter
January 1996, Volume 40, Issue 1
- 1-1 Editorial foreword
by Casella, A. & Venables, A. J.
- 3-17 A federal voting mechanism to solve the fiscal-externality problem
by Piketty, Thomas
- 19-41 Incentives and optimal size of local jurisdictions
by Gilbert, Guy & Picard, Pierre
- 43-60 In or out?: Centralization by majority vote
by Cremer, Jacques & Palfrey, Thomas R.
- 61-89 Accountability and decentralisation in government: An incomplete contracts model
by Seabright, Paul
- 91-111 National vs European incentive policies: Bargaining, information and coordination
by Caillaud, B. & Jullien, B. & Picard, P.
- 113-134 Tax competition and Leviathan
by Edwards, Jeremy & Keen, Michael
- 135-154 On the optimal and best sustainable taxes in an open economy
by Benhabib, Jess & Velasco, Andres
- 155-186 On market integration and the development of institutions: The case of international commercial arbitration
by Casella, Alessandra
- 187-217 Decentralized income redistribution and immigration
by Wellisch, Dietmar & Wildasin, David E.
December 1995, Volume 39, Issue 9
- 1611-1626 Interest rates and the channels of monetary transmission: Some sectoral estimates
by Dale, Spencer & Haldane, Andrew G.
- 1627-1655 Regional labor market dynamics in Europe
by Decressin, Jorg & Fatas, Antonio
- 1657-1681 European tax harmonisation and production efficiency
by Devereux, Michael P. & Pearson, Mark
- 1683-1696 Real business cycles and labor markets with imperfectly flexible wages
by Dow, James Jr.
- 1697-1716 Hedonic price functions and the measurement of preferences: The case of Swedish wine consumers
by Nerlove, Marc
- 1717-1731 Job matching and job competition: Are lower educated workers at the back of job queues?
by van Ours, J. C. & Ridder, G.
- 1733-1745 Perfect competition or the core
by Vind, Karl
- 1747-1764 Bargaining versus posted-price selling
by Wang, Ruqu
October 1995, Volume 39, Issue 8
- 1447-1464 Excessive environmental risks: An intergenerational market failure
by von Amsberg, Joachim
- 1465-1485 Macroeconomic equilibrium and reform in a transitional economy
by Bennett, John & Dixon, Huw David
- 1487-1509 An incentive approach to land set-aside programs
by Bourgeon, Jean-Marc & Jayet, Pierre-Alain & Picard, Pierre
- 1511-1522 Efficiency-improving investment and the ratchet effect
by Dalen, Dag Morten
- 1523-1544 Realignment risk and currency option pricing in target zones
by Dumas, Bernard & Peter Jennergren, L. & Naslund, Bertil
- 1545-1567 Regional risksharing
by van Wincoop, Eric
- 1569-1602 A Rostovian model of endogenous growth and underdevelopment traps
by Zilibotti, Fabrizio
August 1995, Volume 39, Issue 7
- 1257-1275 Education and the poverty trap
by Barham, Vicky & Boadway, Robin & Marchand, Maurice & Pestieau, Pierre
- 1277-1301 A comparison of the cost of trading French shares on the Paris Bourse and on SEAQ International
by de Jong, Frank & Nijman, Theo & Roell, Ailsa
- 1303-1319 A general equilibrium theory of firm formation based on individual unobservable skills
by Laussel, Didier & Le Breton, Michel
- 1321-1344 Synergy and investment efficiency effects of trade and labor market distortions
by Lopez, Ramon
- 1345-1364 Free-riding, convergence and two-speed monetary unification in Europe
by Martin, Philippe
- 1365-1384 Optimal regulation of deposit taking financial intermediaries
by Miles, David
- 1385-1404 A simple model of disinflation and the optimality of doing nothing
by Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria
- 1405-1428 Intertemporal common agency and organizational design: How much decentralization?
by Olsen, Trond E. & Torsvik, Gaute
- 1429-1437 Tariff revenue competition in a free trade area
by Richardson, Martin
June 1995, Volume 39, Issue 6
- 1075-1088 Price competition and advertising in oligopoly
by Bester, Helmut & Petrakis, Emmanuel
- 1089-1113 Business cycles in a small open economy
by Correia, Isabel & Neves, Joao C. & Rebelo, Sergio
- 1115-1131 The information in Swedish short-maturity forward rates
by Dahlquist, Magnus & Jonsson, Gunnar
- 1133-1154 The relevance of financial policy
by Detemple, J. & Gottardi, P. & Polemarchakis, H. M.
- 1155-1170 Adjustable pegs vs. single currencies: How valuable is the option to realign?
by Gerlach, Stefan
- 1171-1180 Asset diversification in Yaari's dual theory
by Hadar, Josef & Seo, Tae Kun
- 1181-1196 Wages and productivity growth in the Nordic countries
by Pehkonen, Jaakko
- 1197-1214 Why does nuclear power performance differ across Europe?
by Sturm, Roland
- 1215-1236 Leviathan governments and carbon taxes: Costs and potential benefits
by Wirl, Franz & Dockner, Engelbert
- 1237-1253 Cross-hauling direct foreign investment and unionized oligopoly
by Zhao, Laixun
May 1995, Volume 39, Issue 5
- 859-887 International R&D spillovers
by Coe, David T. & Helpman, Elhanan
- 889-918 Spatial competition in the banking system: Localization, cross subsidies and the regulation of deposit rates
by Chiappori, Pierre-Andre & Perez-Castrillo, David & Verdier, Thierry
- 919-941 Fixed investment decisions in UK manufacturing: The importance of Tobin's Q, output and debt
by Cuthbertson, K. & Gasparro, D.
- 943-955 On the effects of schooling vintage on experience-earnings profiles: Theory and evidence
by Neuman, Shoshana & Weiss, Avi
- 959-959 Editorial note
by Frankel, Jeffrey & Wyplosz, Charles
- 961-979 Taxation and redistribution in an open economy
by Alesina, Alberto & Perotti, Roberto
- 981-1015 Stock returns and real activity: A structural approach
by Canova, Fabio & De Nicolo', Gianni
- 1017-1041 How much (a)symmetry in Europe? Evidence from industrial sectors
by Helg, Rodolfo & Manasse, Paolo & Monacelli, Tommaso & Rovelli, Riccardo
- 1043-1070 The Swedish unemployment experience
by Ljungqvist, Lars & Sargent, Thomas J.
April 1995, Volume 39, Issue 3-4
- 351-352 Introduction
by Schweizer, Urs
- 353-381 The genealogy of modern theoretical public economics: From first best to second best
by Guesnerie, R.
- 383-397 Private risk and public action: The economics of the welfare state
by Mirrlees, J. A.
- 399-420 Fiscal policies, capital formation, and capitalism
by Feldstein, Martin
- 421-431 Strategic aspects of vertical delegation
by Caillaud, Bernard & Rey, Patrick
- 432-439 Towards an economic theory of incentives in just-in-time manufacturing
by Cremer, Jacques
- 440-455 Some implications of growth for organizational form and ownership structure
by Aghion, Philippe & Tirole, Jean
- 457-466 From EEA to EU: Economic consequences for the EFTA countries
by Flam, Harry
- 467-473 EU enlargement and the world trade system
by Rollo, Jim
- 474-481 The Eastern enlargement of the European Union
by Baldwin, Richard E.
- 483-491 Alternative strategies towards monetary union
by De Grauwe, Paul
- 492-500 The current impasse in research on optimum currency areas
by Melitz, Jacques
- 501-508 New evidence on the effectiveness of foreign exchange market intervention
by Koedijk, Kees G. & Mizrach, Bruce & Stork, Philip A. & de Vries, Casper G.
- 509-518 On pricing the priceless: Comments on the economics of the visual art market
by Gerard-Varet, Louis-Andre
- 519-527 Is art market behaviour predictable?
by Chanel, Olivier
- 528-537 On the rate of return in the art market: Survey and evaluation
by Frey, Bruno S. & Eichenberger, Reiner
- 538-548 Long-term comovements in international markets for paintings
by Ginsburgh, Victor & Jeanfils, Philippe
- 557-564 A model of Scandinavian emigration, 1870-1913
by Hatton, T. J.
- 565-574 State action, trade unions and voluntary unemployment insurance in Great Britain, Germany, and Scandinavia, 1900-1934
by Toft, Christian
- 575-582 Some political aspects of unemployment
by Saint-Paul, Gilles
- 583-592 Labour market policy and unemployment
by Calmfors, Lars
- 593-599 The secular increase in European unemployment rates
by Oison, Mancur
- 601-610 Early trade patterns under the Europe Agreements: France, Germany and Italy
by Cadot, Olivier & Faini, Riccardo & de Melo, Jaime
- 611-621 Liberalizing European steel trade
by Winters, L. Alan
- 622-632 Trade liberalisation with Eastern nations: Some distribution issues
by Neven, Damien
- 633-640 Experimental investigations of errors in decision making under risk
by Hey, John D.
- 641-648 Incorporating a stochastic element into decision theories
by Loomes, Graham & Sugden, Robert
- 649-660 An error rate analysis of experimental data testing Nash refinements
by Harless, David W. & Camerer, Colin F.
- 661-673 Economic justice: The central question
by Kolm, Serge-Christophe
- 674-682 Equity, equality and welfare
by Lambert, Peter J. & Yitzhaki, Shlomo
- 683-689 Equality and responsibility
by Fleurbaey, Marc
- 691-699 The time and budget constraints of the firm
by Bolton, Patrick & Dewatripont, Mathias
- 700-708 Hierarchical computation of the resource allocation problem
by Van Zandt, Timothy
- 709-722 Cooperation and competition in organizations: A dynamic perspective
by Meyer, Margaret A.
- 723-730 Is the Welfare State necessarily an obstacle to economic growth?
by Atkinson, A. B.
- 731-738 Increasing public investment in Europe: Some practical considerations
by Girard, Jacques & Gruber, Harald & Hurst, Chris
- 739-749 The macroeconomic implications of capital adequacy requirements for banks
by Blum, Jurg & Hellwig, Martin
- 751-758 Togetheror separately? Issues on the costs and benefits of political and fiscal unions
by Alesina, Alberto & Perotti, Roberto & Spolaore, Enrico
- 759-770 Fiscal discipline and the choice of exchange rate regime
by Tornell, Aaron & Velasco, Andres
- 771-779 Budget processes and commitment to fiscal discipline
by von Hagen, Jurgen & Harden, Ian J.
- 781-785 The physician's behavior and equity under a fundholding contract
by Glazer, Jacob & Shmueli, Amir
- 786-794 Regulated competition in health care: With or without a global budget?
by van de Ven, Wynand P. M. M.
- 795-802 The hospital-physician interaction in U.S. hospitals: Evolving payment schemes and their incentives
by Dor, Avi & Watson, Harry
- 803-804 Minutes of the meeting of the general assembly, 4 September 1994, Maastricht
by Barten, Anton P.
- 805-809 Minutes of the meeting of the council
by Barten, Anton P.
- 813-814 Report of the secretary
by Barten, Anton
- 815-816 Report of the treasurer
by Basevi, Giorgio
- 817-819 Report of the editors of the european economic review: 1993
by Bourguignon, Francois
- 820-821 Report of the chairman of the standing committee for students' affair
by Rochet, Jean-Charles
February 1995, Volume 39, Issue 2
- 177-177 Symposium on financial intermediation
by Bourguignon, Francois & Vives, Xavier
- 179-209 A welfare comparison of intermediaries and financial markets in Germany and the US
by Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas
- 211-228 A bargaining model of financial intermediation
by Bester, Helmut
- 229-244 Phonebanking
by Bouckaert, Jan & Degryse, Hans
- 245-251 A note on the equivalence of time consistency and subgame perfection in stochastic games
by Asilis, Carlos M.
- 253-274 Fiscal flows in the United States and Canada: Lessons for monetary union in Europe
by Bayoumi, Tamim & Masson, Paul R.
- 275-292 Social custom, management opposition, and trade union membership
by Corneo, Giacomo
- 293-317 Departmentalization and stochastic dissimilarity
by Gal-Or, Esther
- 319-333 Delegation in a general equilibrium model of customs unions
by Gatsios, Konstantine & Karp, Larry
- 335-343 Regular flexibility of nested CES functions
by Perroni, Carlo & Rutherford, Thomas F.
January 1995, Volume 39, Issue 1
- 1-15 Discrimination and open unemployment in a segmented labour market
by Gottfries, Nils & McCormick, Barry
- 17-33 Reward structures and the allocation of talent
by Acemoglu, Daron
- 35-69 Predicting excess returns in financial markets
by Canova, Fabio & Marrinan, Jane
- 71-82 Duopoly and quality standards
by Crampes, Claude & Hollander, Abraham
- 83-98 Primary commodity prices and the OECD economic performance
by Cristini, Annalisa
- 99-115 The demand for commercial bank loans and the lending rate
by Fase, M. M. G.
- 117-138 Managerial effort incentives, X-inefficiency and international trade
by Horn, Henrik & Lang, Harald & Lundgren, Stefan
- 139-160 Imperfect competition, concentration and growth with firm-specific R & D
by Smulders, Sjak & van de Klundert, Theo
- 161-172 Monetary and real shocks and the optimal target zone
by Sutherland, Alan
December 1994, Volume 38, Issue 9
- 1673-1710 Access pricing and competition
by Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean
- 1711-1729 Was the Great Depression a low-level equilibrium?
by Dagsvik, John & Jovanovic, Boyan
- 1731-1761 Real adjustment in a union of incompletely converged economies: An example from East and West Germany
by Hallett, A. J. Hughes & Ma, Yue
- 1763-1778 Sources of business cycles in Europe: 1960-1988. Evidence from France, Germany, and the United Kingdom
by Karras, Georgios
- 1779-1797 Capitalists and workers: Knowledge and the strategic role of investment within the firm
by Stewart, Geoff
- 1799-1815 On the design of stable joint ventures
by Veugelers, Reinhilde & Kesteloot, Katrien
- 1817-1825 How sensible is the Leyden individual welfare function of income? A reply
by van Praag, Bernard M. S. & Kapteyn, Arie
October 1994, Volume 38, Issue 8
- 1527-1553 Repeated moral hazard: The role of memory, commitment, and the access to credit markets
by Chiappori, Pierre-Andre & Macho, Ines & Rey, Patrick & Salanie, Bernard
- 1555-1580 Investment behaviour of Dutch industrial firms: A panel data study
by Broer, D. P. & van Leeuwen, G.
- 1581-1594 Labor productivity and the business cycle: Can R.B.C. models be saved?
by Fairise, Xavier & Langot, Francois
- 1595-1611 Trade unions and seniority employment rules
by Frank, Jeff & Malcomson, James M.
- 1613-1632 Optimal non-linear income taxation for the alleviation of income-poverty
by Kanbur, Ravi & Keen, Michael & Tuomala, Matti
- 1633-1659 How sensible is the Leyden individual welfare function of income?
by Seidl, Christian
- 1661-1663 Dominant interest and inflation differentials within the EMS: A comment
by Van Poeck, Andre & Van Gompel, Johan
- 1665-1666 Dominant interest and inflation differentials within the EMS: A reply
by Koedijk, Kees G. & Kool, Clemens J. M.
August 1994, Volume 38, Issue 7
- 1363-1389 Liquidity provision, banking, and the allocation of interest rate risk
by Hellwig, Martin
- 1391-1410 Life-cycle expenditure allocations and the consumption costs of children
by Banks, James & Blundell, Richard & Preston, Ian
- 1411-1421 Flexible labor compensation, risk sharing and company leverage
by Ichino, Andrea
- 1423-1440 Research vs. development: Optimal patenting policy in a three-stage model
by La Manna, Manfredi M. A.
- 1441-1469 Testing the basic target zone model on Swedish data 1982-1990
by Lindberg, Hans & Soderlind, Paul
- 1471-1486 Evaluating risky consumption paths: The role of intertemporal substitutability
by Obstfeld, Maurice
- 1487-1491 Coordination problems at negligible degrees of market power
by Silvestre, Joaquim
- 1493-1504 Returns to scale in the French manufacturing industry
by Szpiro, Daniel & Cette, Gilbert
- 1505-1517 Pricing initial public offerings: Evidence from Germany
by Wasserfallen, Walter & Wittleder, Christian
June 1994, Volume 38, Issue 6
- 1179-1184 Exchange rates, inflation and structural change: An introduction
by de Menil, Georges & Gordon, Robert J.
- 1185-1216 European exchange rate credibility before the fall
by Rose, Andrew K. & Svensson, Lars E. O.
- 1217-1220 Comments : European exchange rate credibility before the fall by A.K. Rose and L.E.O. Svensson
by Branson, William H.
- 1221-1223 Comments : European exchange rate credibility before the fall by A.K. Rose and L.E.O. Svensson
by Tabellini, Guido
- 1225-1244 International evidence on tradables and nontradables inflation
by De Gregorio, Jose & Giovannini, Alberto & Wolf, Holger C.
- 1245-1249 Comments : International evidence on tradables and nontradables inflation by J. De G regorio, A. Giovannini and H.C. Wolf
by Gordon, Robert J.
- 1250-1256 Comments: International evidence on tradables and nontradables inflation by J. De Gregorio, A. Giovannini and H.C. Wolf
by de Menil, Georges
- 1257-1276 Rational bubbles during Poland's hyperinflation: Implications and empirical evidence
by Funke, Michael & Hall, Stephen & Sola, Martin
- 1277-1281 Comments : Rational bubbles during Poland's hyperinflation: Implications and empirical evidence by M. Funke, S. Hall and M. Sola
by Charemza, Wojciech W.
- 1282-1285 Comments : Rational bubbles during Poland's hyperinflation: Implications and empirical evidence by M. Funke, S. Hall and M. Sola
by West, Kenneth D.
- 1287-1315 Gross worker and job flows in Europe
by Burda, Michael & Wyplosz, Charles
- 1316-1320 Comments : Gross worker and job flows in Europe by M. Burda and C. Wyplosz
by Abowd, John M.
- 1321-1325 Comments : Gross worker and job market flows in Europe by M. Burda and C. Wyplosz
by Franz, Wolfgang
- 1327-1349 The behaviour of state firms in eastern Europe, pre-privatisation
by Aghion, Philippe & Blanchard, Olivier & Burgess, Robin
- 1350-1356 Comments : The behaviour of state firms in eastern Europe, pre-privatization by P. Aghion, O. Blanchard and R. Burgess
by Estrin, Saul
- 1357-1361 Comments : The behaviour of state firms in eastern Europe, pre-privatization by P. Aghion, O. Blanchard and R. Burgess
by Siebert, Horst
May 1994, Volume 38, Issue 5
- 1021-1039 Wage bargaining and nominal rigidities
by Holden, Steinar
- 1041-1055 Merger policy in open economies
by Barros, Pedro P. & Cabral, Luis
- 1057-1069 Delegation in international monetary policy games
by Dolado, Juan J. & Dolado, Juan J. & Griffiths, Mark & Padilla, A. Jorge & Padilla, A. Jorge
- 1071-1098 Learning, convergence, and stability with multiple rational expectations equilibria
by Evans, George W. & Honkapohja, Seppo & Honkapohja, Seppo
- 1099-1112 The 'perverse' effects of wage and price controls in search markets
by Fershtman, Chaim & Fishman, Arthur
- 1113-1138 Shared ATM networks and banking competition
by Matutes, Carmen & Padilla, A. Jorge
- 1139-1151 Export subsidies under dynamic duopoly
by Tanaka, Yasuhito
- 1153-1170 Voting power in the EC decision making and the consequences of two different enlargements
by Widgren, Mika
- 1171-1174 A note on the correct specification of financial portfolio AIDS models
by Grimes, Arthur & Wong, Alfred Y-T. & Meads, Chris S.
April 1994, Volume 38, Issue 3-4
- 417-417 Introduction
by Cohen, Daniel
- 419-445 Debt deflation: Theory and evidence
by King, Mervyn
- 447-468 Fixed exchange rates as a means to price stability: What have we learned?
by Svensson, Lars E. O.
- 469-487 On banking and intermediation
by Tirole, Jean
- 489-504 Growth and employment: The scope of a European initiative
by Dreze, Jacques H. & Malinvaud, Edmond
- 505-522 Economic research in Europe
by Kirman, Alan & Dahl, Mogens
- 523-534 European unemployment: A retrospective
by Bean, Charles R.
- 535-543 Unemployment, wage rigidity, and the returns to education
by Saint-Paul, Gilles
- 545-554 Environmental policy reconsidered: The role of technological innovation
by Carraro, Carlo & Siniscaico, Domenico
- 555-562 Environmental policy, compliance and innovation
by Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean
- 563-576 Does environmental dumping lead to delocation?
by Motta, Massimo & Thisse, Jacques-Francois
- 577-585 Welfare costs and rent premia when quotas are not transferable
by de Melo, Jaime & Pfaff, Alex & Tarr, David
- 586-595 Lobbying and adjustment in declining industries
by Braillard, S. Lael & Verdier, Thierry
- 596-603 The EC and protection: The political economy
by Winters, L. Alan
- 605-614 One business cycle and one trend from (many,) many disaggregates
by Quah, Danny
- 614-623 Detrending and turning points
by Canova, Fabio
- 624-635 Common and uncommon trends and cycles
by Lippi, Marco & Reichlin, Lucrezia
- 637-650 Competition, cooperation and mergers: Economic and policy issues
by Bensaid, Bernard & Encaoua, David & Winckler, Antoine
- 651-662 Networks and compatibility: Implications for antitrust
by Economides, Nicholas & White, Lawrence J.
- 663-673 Distorting the direction of technological change
by Adams, William James & Encaoua, David
- 675-682 Gathering information before the contract is offered: The case with two states of nature
by Cremer, Jacques & Khalil, Fahad
- 683-690 Rewarding performance by promotion to a different job
by Fairburn, James A. & Malcomson, James M.
- 691-700 Job design, delegation and cooperation: A principal-agent analysis
by Itoh, Hideshi
- 701-710 Opening the black box of innovation
by Aghion, Philippe & Tirole, Jean
- 711-720 Distributive justice: Theoretical foundations and empirical findings
by Gaertner, Wulf
- 721-730 Rational normative economics vs 'social welfare' and 'social choice'
by Kolm, Serge-Christophe
- 731-738 Rights and freedom in welfare economics
by Pattanaik, Prasanta K.
- 739-747 Cross-sectional regressions and the empirics of economic growth
by Sala-i-Martin, Xavier
- 748-756 Monopolistic competition, endogenous markups, and growth
by Gali, Jordi