European Economic Review
1997, Volume 41, Issue 3-5
- 691-699 The evolution of telecommunications regulation in the UK
by Cave, Martin
- 701-711 Competition between telecommunications operators
by Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Rey, Patrick & Tirole, Jean
- 713-721 The effects of minimum bargained wages on earnings: Evidence from Spain
by Dolado, Juan J. & Felgueroso, Florentino & Jimeno, Juan F.
- 723-732 Is there a negative effect of minimum wages on youth employment in France?
by Bazen, Stephen & Skourias, Nicolas
- 733-742 Minimum wages and economic outcomes in Europe
by Machin, Stephen & Manning, Alan
- 743-751 EMU: Countries or regions? Lessons from the EMS experience
by Fatas, Antonio
- 753-760 Is EMU more justifiable ex post than ex ante?
by Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Rose, Andrew K.
- 771-782 Competition and growth with step-by-step innovation: An example
by Aghion, Philippe & Harris, Christopher & Vickers, John
- 783-796 What makes firms perform well?
by Nickell, Stephen & Nicolitsas, Daphne & Dryden, Neil
- 797-805 Corporate governance, competition policy and industrial policy
by Aghion, Ph. & Dewatripont, M. & Rey, P.
- 807-817 Soft budget constraints and credit crunches in financial transition
by Berglof, Erik & Roland, Gerard
- 819-825 Fiscal imbalances, capital inflows, and the real exchange rate: The case of Turkey
by Agenor, Pierre-Richard & McDermott, C. John & Ucer, Murat
- 827-835 Currency substitution and exchange rate instability: The Turkish case
by Akcay, O. Cevdet & Alper, C. Emre & Karasulu, Meral
- 837-845 Likelihood versus timing of speculative attacks: A case study of Mexico
by Pazarbasioglu, Ceyla & Otker, Inci
- 847-860 Speculative attacks and macroeconomic fundamentals: evidence from some European currencies
by Otker, Inci & Pazarbasioglu, Ceyla
- 861-870 Economic implications for Turkey of a Customs Union with the European Union
by Harrison, Glenn W. & Rutherford, Thomas F. & Tarr, David G.
- 871-880 On Turkey's trade policy: Is a customs union with Europe enough?
by Mercenier, Jean & Yeldan, Erinc
- 881-892 Competitiveness of Turkish SMSEs in the Customs Union
by Erzan, Refik & Filiztekin, Alpay
- 893-903 Value of human capital in transition to market: Evidence from Slovenia
by Orazem, Peter F. & Vodopivec, Milan
- 905-914 Heterogeneous workers, economic transformation and the stagnancy of transitional unemployment
by Boeri, Tito
- 915-923 New jobs, worklessness and households in Poland
by Lehmann, Hartmut & Wadsworth, Jonathan
- 925-934 Unemployment dynamics and the restructuring of the Slovak unemployment benefit system
by Lubyova, Martina & van Ours, Jan
- 935-942 Estimating cost functions in regulated industries characterized by asymmetric information
by Dalen, Dag Morten & Gomez-Lobo, Andres
- 943-950 Empirical contract theory: The case of insurance data
by Chiappori, Pierre-Andre & Salanie, Bernard
- 951-959 Game theory econometric models: application to procurements in the space industry
by Florens, Jean-Pierre & Hugo, Marie-Anne & Richard, Jean-Francois
- 961-970 Multiple-output agency incentives in data production: experimental evidence
by Philipson, Tomas & Lawless, Thomas
- 971-973 Annual report 1996
by Barten, Anton P.
1997, Volume 41, Issue 2
- 187-205 Technological change, relative wages, and unemployment
by Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Aizenman, Joshua
- 207-225 Asymmetric information as a commitment in oligopoly
by Barros, Fatima
- 227-243 Optimal contract length in a reputational model of monetary policy
by Ellis, Christopher J. & Holden, Steinar
- 245-257 Price adjustment costs and the effect of endogenous technique on price stickiness
by Fluet, Claude & Phaneuf, Louis
- 259-277 Real exchange rate misalignment and redistribution
by Huizinga, Harry
- 279-293 Stabilization
by Roell, Ailsa & Sussman, Oren
- 295-317 Shopping at the labour market: A real tale of fiction
by van Beek, Krijn W. H. & Koopmans, Carl C. & van Praag, Bernard M. S.
- 319-356 International real business cycles among heterogeneous countries
by Zimmermann, Christian
1997, Volume 41, Issue 1
- 1-35 Game theory and empirical economics: The case of auction data 1
by Laffont, Jean-Jacques
- 37-59 Intertemporal consumption, durables and liquidity constraints: A cohort analysis
by Alessie, Rob & Devereux, Michael P. & Weber, Guglielmo
- 61-73 Estimating a cointegrating demand system
by Attfield, C. L. F.
- 75-95 On nonparametric demand analysis
by Chavas, Jean-Paul & Cox, Thomas L.
- 97-114 In-kind transfers, self-selection and optimal tax policy
by Cremer, Helmuth & Gahvari, Firouz
- 115-137 Real returns on government debt: A general equilibrium quantitative exploration
by Diaz-Gimenez, Javier & Prescott, Edward C.
- 139-146 Stock markets and development: A re-assessment
by Harris, Richard D. F.
- 147-162 Wages and employment in a repeated game with revenue fluctuations
by Schultz, Christian
- 163-186 Rational fix-price dynamics
by Lensberg, Terje
1996, Volume 40, Issue 9
- 1683-1704 Macroeconomic performance and convergence in OECD countries
by Andres, Javier & Domenech, Rafael & Molinas, Cesar
- 1705-1716 Local public expenditure in Sweden a model where the median voter is not necessarily decisive
by Aronsson, Thomas & Wikstrom, Magnus
- 1717-1736 Non-discriminating renegotiation in a competitive insurance market
by Asheim, Geir B. & Nilssen, Tore
- 1737-1743 On the political economy of immigration
by Benhabib, Jess
- 1745-1760 Product quality and the theory of comparative advantage
by Copeland, Brian R. & Kotwal, Ashok
- 1761-1771 Poverty measurement with contaminated data: A robust approach
by Cowell, Frank A. & Victoria-Feser, Maria-Pia
- 1773-1797 Regulating an externality-generating public utility: A multi-dimensional screening approach
by van Egteren, Henry
- 1799-1815 Decreasing absolute prudence: Characterization and applications to second-best risk sharing
by Gollier, Christian
- 1817-1828 Corporate taxation, incumbency advantage and entry
by Appelbaum, Elie & Katz, Eliakim
- 1831-1832 Erratum Regional risksharing European Economic Review 39 (1995) 1545-1567
by van Wincoop, Eric
1996, Volume 40, Issue 8
- 1521-1540 Increasing the capital income tax may lead to faster growth
by Uhlig, Harald & Yanagawa, Noriyuki
- 1541-1560 Factor shares in OLG models of growth
by Bertola, Giuseppe
- 1561-1589 Jointly determined saving and fertility behaviour: Theory, and estimates for Germany, Italy, UK and USA
by Cigno, Alessandro & Rosati, Furio C.
- 1591-1603 Insider trading restrictions and the stock market: Evidence from the Amsterdam Stock Exchange
by Kabir, Rezaul & Vermaelen, Theo
- 1605-1627 Trade policy subtleties with multinational firms
by Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Markusen, James R. & Rutherford, Thomas F.
- 1629-1646 Interest rates and fiscal discipline in monetary unions
by Restoy, Fernando
- 1647-1664 Taxes, uncertainty, and long-term growth
by Smith, William T.
- 1665-1682 Labor and credit contracts with asymmetric information and bankruptcy
by Tsoulouhas, Theofanis
1996, Volume 40, Issue 7
- 1379-1411 Informational efficiency and welfare in the stock market
by Orosel, Gerhard O.
- 1413-1440 Fiscal policy when monetary policy is tied to the mast
by Agell, Jonas & Calmfors, Lars & Jonsson, Gunnar
- 1441-1451 Rationing of sales and price setting
by Andersen, Torben M.
- 1453-1461 Location in the Hotelling duopoly model with demand uncertainty
by Balvers, Ronald & Szerb, Lazlo
- 1463-1482 Minimum wage unemployment and growth
by Cahuc, Pierre & Michel, Philippe
- 1483-1499 Managerial husbandry and the dynamics of ongoing hierarchies
by Demougin, Dominique & Siow, Aloysius
- 1501-1519 Are the unemployed unemployable?
by Saint-Paul, Gilles
1996, Volume 40, Issue 6
- 1203-1228 Income distribution, political instability, and investment
by Alesina, Alberto & Perotti, Roberto
- 1229-1235 Domestic savings, intra-national and intra-European Union capital flows, 1971-1991
by Armstrong, Harvey W. & Balasubramanyam, V. N. & Salisu, Mohammed A.
- 1237-1258 International evidence on the sources of macroeconomic fluctuations
by Bergman, Michael
- 1259-1279 On the persistence of rationing following liberalization: A theory for economies in transition
by Berkowitz, Daniel
- 1281-1303 Deregulation and productivity decline: The case of Spanish bavings banks
by Grifell-Tatje, E. & Lovell, C. A. K.
- 1305-1323 Firm start-up size: A conditional quantile approach
by Mata, Jose & Machado, Jose A. F.
- 1325-1352 Regional cohesion: Evidence and theories of regional growth and convergence
by Sala-i-Martin, Xavier X.
- 1353-1375 Empirics for economic growth and convergence
by Quah, Danny T.
1996, Volume 40, Issue 3-5
- 495-510 On the detection of collusion and predation
by Phlips, Louis
- 511-530 Technology and market structure
by Sutton, John
- 531-539 On the heterogeneity of firms
by Roller, Lars-Hendrik & Sinclair-Desgagne, Bernard
- 541-550 The starfish effect: Can market entry by one firm encourage further entry by others?
by Seabright, Paul
- 551-557 What makes firms vulnerable to recessionary pressures?
by Geroski, P. A. & Gregg, P.
- 559-567 Toward a theory of legal reform
by Hay, Jonathan R. & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W.
- 569-579 Incomplete contracts and privatization
by Schmidt, Klaus M.
- 581-588 Exit and voice after mass privatization: The case of Russia
by Frydman, Roman & Pistor, Katharina & Rapaczynski, Andrzej
- 589-601 Social learning and rational expectations
by Vives, Xavier
- 603-615 Rational herding in financial economics
by Devenow, Andrea & Welch, Ivo
- 617-628 What have we learned from social learning?
by Gale, Douglas
- 629-643 Central banks and seigniorage: A study of three economies in transition
by Hochreiter, Eduard & Rovelli, Riccardo & Winckler, Georg
- 645-653 Finance and growth in economies in transition
by Coricelli, Fabrizio
- 655-662 Why East European banks don't want equity
by Dittus, Peter
- 663-671 The economics of orthodox money-based stabilisations (OMBS): The recent experience of Kazakhstan, Russia and the Ukraine
by Bofinger, Peter
- 673-685 The multiprincipal nature of government
by Martimort, David
- 687-695 Hierarchical organization and incentives
by Caillaud, B. & Jullien, B. & Picard, P.
- 697-705 Economic theories of the break-up and integration of nations
by Bolton, Patrick & Roland, Gerard & Spolaore, Enrico
- 707-717 Are legislators ideologues or the agents of constituents?
by Poole, Keith T. & Rosenthal, Howard
- 719-728 Inequality, redistribution and growth: A challenge to the conventional political economy approach
by Paul, Gilles Saint & Verdier, Thierry
- 729-746 Distributive implications of an aging society
by von Weizsacker, Robert K.
- 747-757 Distributive implications of European integration
by Cremer, Helmuth & Pestieau, Pierre
- 759-766 On insider privatization
by Blanchard, O. & Aghion, P.
- 767-774 Second-best economic policy for a divided government
by Boycko, Maxim & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W.
- 775-782 Alternate approaches to the political economy of endogenous trade liberalization
by Baldwin, Robert Edward & Baldwin, Richard Edward
- 783-794 The political economy of trade liberalization in the transition
by Hillman, Arye L. & Ursprung, Heinrich W.
- 795-803 Rent dissipation, free riding, and trade policy
by Grossman, Gene M. & Helpman, Elhanan
- 805-817 Active labor market policies, job matching and the Czech miracle
by Boeri, Tito & Burda, Michael C.
- 819-828 Labour market policy and the unemployed in Hungary
by Micklewright, John & Nagy, Gyula
- 829-837 Incidence and duration of unemployment in Romania
by Earle, John S. & Pauna, Catalin
- 839-845 Unemployment in dynamic general equilibrium economies
by Gali, Jordi
- 847-859 Liquidity models in open economies: Theory and empirical evidence
by Grilli, Vittorio & Roubini, Nouriel
- 861-869 Sectoral Solow residuals
by Burnside, A. Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin S. & Rebelo, Sergio T.
- 871-881 Strategic analysis of contingent claims
by Anderson, Ronald W. & Sundaresan, Suresh & Tychon, Pierre
- 883-896 Financial market-product market interactions in industry equilibrium: Implications for information acquisition decisions
by Zechner, Josef
- 897-907 Creditor races and contingent claims
by Lambrecht, Bart & Perraudin, William
- 909-921 Output price, markups, and producer size
by Roberts, Mark J. & Supina, Dylan
- 923-932 Retail contracting and costly monitoring: Theory and evidence
by Lafontaine, Francine & Slade, Margaret E.
- 933-940 Rent sharing in the European airline industry
by Neven, Damien J. & Roller, Lars-Hendrik
- 941-949 Economic integration, intraindustry trade, and frontier regions
by Hanson, Gordon H.
- 951-958 Regional convergence clusters across Europe
by Quah, Danny T.
- 959-967 Integration, specialization, and adjustment
by Krugman, Paul & Venables, Anthony J.
- 969-977 The growth of law and economics in Europe
by Van den Bergh, Roger
- 979-987 The policy of deregulation in The Netherlands
by den Hertog, Johan
- 989-998 The relevance of law and economics for the development of judge made rules: Examples from German case-law
by Schafer, Hans-Bernd
- 999-1006 The debate on the scientific status of law & economics
by De Geest, Gerrit
- 1007-1021 The exchange rate in a model of pricing-to-market
by Betts, Caroline & Devereux, Michael B.
- 1023-1035 Fixed exchange rates: Credibility, flexibility and multiplicity
by Velasco, Andres
- 1037-1047 Models of currency crises with self-fulfilling features
by Obstfeld, Maurice
- 1049-1056 Corporate control and the market for managerial labour: On the decision to go public
by Maug, Ernst
- 1057-1069 The stock market as a source of capital: Some lessons from initial public offerings in Italy
by Pagano, Marco & Panetta, Fabio & Zingales, Luigi
- 1071-1081 The decision to go public: An overview
by Roell, Ailsa
- 1083-1090 European monetary integration
by Goodhart, Charles
- 1091-1101 Monetary union and convergence economics
by De Grauwe, Paul
- 1103-1109 European monetary integration: A narrow or a wide EMU?
by Vinals, Jose
- 1111-1121 The limits of competition: Housing insurance in Switzerland
by von Ungern-Sternberg, Thomas
- 1123-1131 The transition from monopoly to competition: The case of housing insurance in Baden-Wurttemberg
by Epple, Karl & Schafer, Reinhard
- 1133-1141 Fire insurance in Germany: A comparison of price-performance between state monopolies and competitive regions
by Felder, Stefan
- 1143-1144 Proceedings 1995 : Minutes of General Assembly 3 September 1995, Congress Palace, Vysehrad, Prague
by Rochet, Jean-Charles
- 1144-1147 Minutes of the meeting of the council
by Barten, Anton
- 1147-1149 Report of the President
by Phlips, Louis
- 1149-1154 Report of the Secretary
by Barten, Anton
- 1158-1158 Report of the chairman of the standing committee for student's affairs
by Rochet, Jean-Charles
1996, Volume 40, Issue 2
- 219-254 Wages, profits and the international portfolio puzzle
by Bottazzi, Laura & Pesenti, Paolo & van Wincoop, Eric
- 255-288 Saving and growth: Evidence from micro data
by Paxson, Christina
- 289-329 Politics and the effectiveness of foreign aid
by Boone, Peter
- 331-360 International cycles
by Cecchetti, Stephen G. & Kashyap, Anil K
- 361-387 International business cycles and the dynamics of the current account
by Elliott, Graham & Fatas, Antonio
- 389-415 Large countries, small countries and the enlargement of trade blocs
by Casella, Alessandra
- 417-428 Aggregable price-taking firms
by Chambers, Robert G. & Pope, Rulon D.
- 429-448 A dynamic contracting model for wages and employment in three European economies
by de la Croix, David & Palm, Franz C. & Pfann, Gerard A.
- 449-472 Retirement of spouses and social security reform
by Zweimuller, Josef & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf & Falkinger, Josef
- 473-490 Depreciation erodes the Coase Conjecture
by Karp, Larry
- 491-494 The behaviour of state firms in eastern Europe, pre-privatization: A generalisation
by Kenway, Peter
- iii-iii Editorial note
by Frankel, Jeffrey & Wyplosz, Charles
1996, Volume 40, Issue 1
- 1-1 Editorial foreword
by Casella, A. & Venables, A. J.
- 3-17 A federal voting mechanism to solve the fiscal-externality problem
by Piketty, Thomas
- 19-41 Incentives and optimal size of local jurisdictions
by Gilbert, Guy & Picard, Pierre
- 43-60 In or out?: Centralization by majority vote
by Cremer, Jacques & Palfrey, Thomas R.
- 61-89 Accountability and decentralisation in government: An incomplete contracts model
by Seabright, Paul
- 91-111 National vs European incentive policies: Bargaining, information and coordination
by Caillaud, B. & Jullien, B. & Picard, P.
- 113-134 Tax competition and Leviathan
by Edwards, Jeremy & Keen, Michael
- 135-154 On the optimal and best sustainable taxes in an open economy
by Benhabib, Jess & Velasco, Andres
- 155-186 On market integration and the development of institutions: The case of international commercial arbitration
by Casella, Alessandra
- 187-217 Decentralized income redistribution and immigration
by Wellisch, Dietmar & Wildasin, David E.
1995, Volume 39, Issue 9
- 1611-1626 Interest rates and the channels of monetary transmission: Some sectoral estimates
by Dale, Spencer & Haldane, Andrew G.
- 1627-1655 Regional labor market dynamics in Europe
by Decressin, Jorg & Fatas, Antonio
- 1657-1681 European tax harmonisation and production efficiency
by Devereux, Michael P. & Pearson, Mark
- 1683-1696 Real business cycles and labor markets with imperfectly flexible wages
by Dow, James Jr.
- 1697-1716 Hedonic price functions and the measurement of preferences: The case of Swedish wine consumers
by Nerlove, Marc
- 1717-1731 Job matching and job competition: Are lower educated workers at the back of job queues?
by van Ours, J. C. & Ridder, G.
- 1733-1745 Perfect competition or the core
by Vind, Karl
- 1747-1764 Bargaining versus posted-price selling
by Wang, Ruqu
1995, Volume 39, Issue 8
- 1447-1464 Excessive environmental risks: An intergenerational market failure
by von Amsberg, Joachim
- 1465-1485 Macroeconomic equilibrium and reform in a transitional economy
by Bennett, John & Dixon, Huw David
- 1487-1509 An incentive approach to land set-aside programs
by Bourgeon, Jean-Marc & Jayet, Pierre-Alain & Picard, Pierre
- 1511-1522 Efficiency-improving investment and the ratchet effect
by Dalen, Dag Morten
- 1523-1544 Realignment risk and currency option pricing in target zones
by Dumas, Bernard & Peter Jennergren, L. & Naslund, Bertil
- 1545-1567 Regional risksharing
by van Wincoop, Eric
- 1569-1602 A Rostovian model of endogenous growth and underdevelopment traps
by Zilibotti, Fabrizio
1995, Volume 39, Issue 7
- 1257-1275 Education and the poverty trap
by Barham, Vicky & Boadway, Robin & Marchand, Maurice & Pestieau, Pierre
- 1277-1301 A comparison of the cost of trading French shares on the Paris Bourse and on SEAQ International
by de Jong, Frank & Nijman, Theo & Roell, Ailsa
- 1303-1319 A general equilibrium theory of firm formation based on individual unobservable skills
by Laussel, Didier & Le Breton, Michel
- 1321-1344 Synergy and investment efficiency effects of trade and labor market distortions
by Lopez, Ramon
- 1345-1364 Free-riding, convergence and two-speed monetary unification in Europe
by Martin, Philippe
- 1365-1384 Optimal regulation of deposit taking financial intermediaries
by Miles, David
- 1385-1404 A simple model of disinflation and the optimality of doing nothing
by Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria
- 1405-1428 Intertemporal common agency and organizational design: How much decentralization?
by Olsen, Trond E. & Torsvik, Gaute
- 1429-1437 Tariff revenue competition in a free trade area
by Richardson, Martin
1995, Volume 39, Issue 6
- 1075-1088 Price competition and advertising in oligopoly
by Bester, Helmut & Petrakis, Emmanuel
- 1089-1113 Business cycles in a small open economy
by Correia, Isabel & Neves, Joao C. & Rebelo, Sergio
- 1115-1131 The information in Swedish short-maturity forward rates
by Dahlquist, Magnus & Jonsson, Gunnar
- 1133-1154 The relevance of financial policy
by Detemple, J. & Gottardi, P. & Polemarchakis, H. M.
- 1155-1170 Adjustable pegs vs. single currencies: How valuable is the option to realign?
by Gerlach, Stefan
- 1171-1180 Asset diversification in Yaari's dual theory
by Hadar, Josef & Seo, Tae Kun
- 1181-1196 Wages and productivity growth in the Nordic countries
by Pehkonen, Jaakko
- 1197-1214 Why does nuclear power performance differ across Europe?
by Sturm, Roland
- 1215-1236 Leviathan governments and carbon taxes: Costs and potential benefits
by Wirl, Franz & Dockner, Engelbert
- 1237-1253 Cross-hauling direct foreign investment and unionized oligopoly
by Zhao, Laixun
1995, Volume 39, Issue 5
- 859-887 International R&D spillovers
by Coe, David T. & Helpman, Elhanan
- 889-918 Spatial competition in the banking system: Localization, cross subsidies and the regulation of deposit rates
by Chiappori, Pierre-Andre & Perez-Castrillo, David & Verdier, Thierry
- 919-941 Fixed investment decisions in UK manufacturing: The importance of Tobin's Q, output and debt
by Cuthbertson, K. & Gasparro, D.
- 943-955 On the effects of schooling vintage on experience-earnings profiles: Theory and evidence
by Neuman, Shoshana & Weiss, Avi