European Economic Review
April 1999, Volume 43, Issue 4-6
- 889-901 Lower and upper bounds of returns to schooling: An exercise in IV estimation with different instruments
by Ichino, Andrea & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf
- 903-914 Financial institutions and the financial crisis in East Asia
by Huang, Haizhou & Xu, Chenggang
- 915-923 Technology transfer and spillovers: Does local participation with multinationals matter?1
by Blomstrom, Magnus & Sjoholm, Fredrik
- 925-934 Domestic institutions, agglomerations and foreign direct investment in Europe
by Barrell, Ray & Pain, Nigel
- 935-945 Fragmentation and multinational production
by Venables, Anthony J.
- 947-957 Mechanism design with a liquidity constrained buyer: The 2 x 2 case1
by Che, Yeon-Koo & Gale, Ian
- 959-979 Multi-dimensional screening:: A user's guide
by Armstrong, Mark & Rochet, Jean-Charles
- 981-990 Solvency regulations and the management of banking risks
by Rochet, Jean-Charles
- 991-1006 Liquidity creation through banks and markets: Multiple insurance and limited market access
by von Thadden, Ernst-Ludwig
- 1007-1019 Restricting the means of exchange within organizations
by Prendergast, Canice & Stole, Lars
- 1021-1037 On the strength of corporate cultures
by Carrillo, Juan D. & Gromb, Denis
- 1039-1048 The endogenous transaction costs of delegated auditing
by Faure-Grimaud, Antoine & Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Martimort, David
- 1049-1056 Blockholdings in Europe:: An international comparison1
by Becht, Marco & Roell, Ailsa
- 1057-1069 Italian corporate governance:: Effects on financial structure and firm performance
by Bianco, Magda & Casavola, Paola
- 1071-1083 European corporate governance: Trading off liquidity against control
by Becht, Marco
- 1085-1094 Why is China different from Eastern Europe? Perspectives from organization theory
by Qian, Yingyi & Roland, Gerard & Xu, Chenggang
- 1095-1103 Efficiency losses from tax distortions vs. government control
by Gordon, Roger H. & Bai, Chong-En & Li, David D.
- 1105-1114 The dynamics of reform and development in China: A political economy perspective
by Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Qian, Yingyi
- 1115-1124 Enterprise performance and management turnover in the Czech Republic
by Claessens, Stijn & Djankov, Simeon
- 1125-1136 Enterprise performance and ownership: The case of Ukraine
by Estrin, Saul & Rosevear, Adam
- 1137-1147 Insider power and wage setting in transition: Evidence from a panel of large Polish firms, 1988-1994
by Grosfeld, Irena & Nivet, Jean-Francois
- 1150-1168 European economics: An analysis based on publications in the core journals
by Kalaitzidakis, Pantelis & Mamuneas, Theofanis P. & Stengos, Thanasis
March 1999, Volume 43, Issue 3
- 475-507 Consumption and the timing of income risk
by Blundell, Richard & M. Stoker, Thomas
- 509-523 Inflation rules with consistent escape clauses
by Alexius, Annika
- 525-548 Information and time-of-usage decisions in the bottleneck model with stochastic capacity and demand
by Arnott, Richard & de Palma, Andre & Lindsey, Robin
- 549-558 Oligopoly profit-sharing contracts and the firm's systematic risk1
by Bughin, J.
- 559-574 Collateral, heterogeneity in risk attitude and the credit market equilibrium
by Coco, Giuseppe
- 575-594 On the taxation of polluting products in a differentiated industry
by Cremer, Helmuth & Thisse, Jacques-Francois
- 595-619 Communications and economic growth
by Dudley, Leonard
- 621-648 Exchange rates and oligopoly
by Hens, Thorsten & Jager, Eckart & Kirman, Alan & Phlips, Louis
February 1999, Volume 43, Issue 2
- 209-251 On the evolution of hierarchical urban systems1
by Fujita, Masahisa & Krugman, Paul & Mori, Tomoya
- 253-280 Agglomeration and endogenous capital
by Baldwin, Richard E.
- 281-302 Growing locations: Industry location in a model of endogenous growth
by Martin, Philippe & I.P. Ottaviano, Gianmarco
- 303-334 The rise and fall of regional inequalities
by Puga, Diego
- 335-356 Foreign direct investment as a catalyst for industrial development
by Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J.
- 357-377 Economic geography and comparative advantage:: Agglomeration versus specialization
by Antonio Ricci, Luca
- 379-407 Economic geography and regional production structure: An empirical investigation
by Davis, Donald R. & Weinstein, David E.
- 409-429 Innovation in cities:: Science-based diversity, specialization and localized competition
by Feldman, Maryann P. & Audretsch, David B.
- 431-456 Spatial evolution of the computer industry in the USA
by Beardsell, Mark & Henderson, Vernon
- 457-474 Trade unions and regional development
by Faini, Riccardo
January 1999, Volume 43, Issue 1
- 1-28 European anti-dumping policy and the profitability of national and international collusion
by Veugelers, Reinhilde & Vandenbussche, Hylke
- 29-45 Trade restraints and Japanese direct investment flows
by Barrell, Ray & Pain, Nigel
- 47-64 Third World regional integration
by Bjorvatn, Kjetil
- 65-89 Enforcement of employment security regulations, on-the-job search and unemployment duration
by Boeri, Tito
- 91-107 Why is central Paris rich and downtown Detroit poor?: An amenity-based theory
by Brueckner, Jan K. & Thisse, Jacques-Francois & Zenou, Yves
- 109-134 Regulation and access pricing with asymmetric information
by De Fraja, Gianni
- 135-161 On relative performance contracts and fund manager's incentives
by Eichberger, Jurgen & Grant, Simon & King, Stephen P.
- 163-183 The effects of wage distortions on the transition:: Theory and evidence from China
by Gordon, Roger H. & Li, David D.
- 185-208 R&D cooperation or competition?
by Petit, Maria Luisa & Tolwinski, Boleslaw
November 1998, Volume 42, Issue 9
- 1613-1633 Technology, unemployment, and relative wages in a global economy
by Davis, Donald R.
- 1635-1651 Political instability, capital taxation, and growth
by Devereux, Michael B. & Wen, Jean-Francois
- 1653-1665 Obsolescence, input augmentation, and growth accounting
by Gort, Michael & Wall, Richard A.
- 1683-1702 Sequential horizontal mergers
by Nilssen, Tore & Sorgard, Lars
- 1703-1725 Inertial credit and opportunistic arrears in transition
by Perotti, E. C.
- 1727-1750 Policy on international R&D cooperation: Subsidy or tax?
by Qiu, Larry D. & Tao, Zhigang
- 1751-1778 Ownership concentration, risk aversion and the effect of financial structure on investment decisions
by Zhang, Guochang
- 1779-1799 Intellectual property rights violations and spillovers in North-South trade
by Zigic, Kresimir
September 1998, Volume 42, Issue 8
- 1393-1416 Chance and justice: Social policies and the Harsanyi-Vickrey-Rawls problem
by Kolm, Serge-Christophe
- 1417-1441 Public and private sector wages of male workers in Germany
by Dustmann, Christian & van Soest, Arthur
- 1443-1467 Implementing results-oriented trade policies: The case of the US-Japanese auto parts dispute
by Krishna, Kala & Morgan, John
- 1469-1481 Are international R&D spillovers trade-related?: Analyzing spillovers among randomly matched trade partners
by Keller, Wolfgang
- 1483-1491 International R&D spillovers: A comment
by Lichtenberg, Frank R. & Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno v.
- 1493-1523 On the mean-reverting properties of target zone exchange rates: Some evidence from the ERM
by Anthony, Myrvin & MacDonald, Ronald
- 1525-1551 Optimal taxation and firm formation:: A model of asymmetric information
by Moresi, Serge
- 1553-1580 On capital income tax policies under uncertainty
by Bo Nielsen, Soren
- 1581-1594 On the welfare significance of national product under interest-rate uncertainty
by Weitzman, Martin L.
- 1595-1612 Why do rich countries prefer free trade over free migration? The role of the modern welfare state
by Wellisch, Dietmar & Walz, Uwe
July 1998, Volume 42, Issue 7
- 1177-1201 Privatization under political interference: Evidence from Eastern Germany
by Hau, Harald
- 1203-1219 Reputational concerns and managerial incentives in investment decisions
by Jeon, Seonghoon
- 1221-1249 Fixed vs. floating exchange rates: A dynamic general equilibrium analysis
by Chin, Daniel M. & Miller, Preston J.
- 1251-1267 International trade and economic integration when labour markets are generally unionised
by Naylor, Robin
- 1269-1293 Distribution and mobility of wealth of nations
by Paapaa, Richard & van Dijk, Herman K.
- 1295-1316 Lobbying by capital and labor over trade and labor market policies
by Rama, Martin & Tabellim, Guido
- 1317-1341 Investment, property rights and political instability: Theory and evidence
by Svensson, Jakob
- 1343-1362 Human capital, equipment investment, and industrialization
by Temple, Jonathan & Voth, Hans-Joachim
- 1363-1391 Transfers and the effect of monitoring in an overlapping-generations experiment
by van der Heijden, E. C. M. & Nelissen, J. H. M. & Potters, J. J. M. & Verbon, H. A. A.
June 1998, Volume 42, Issue 6
- 975-1007 A strategy for launching the Euro
by Obstfeld, Maurice
- 1009-1032 Generating real persistent effects of monetary shocks: How much nominal rigidity do we really need?
by Jeanne, Olivier
- 1033-1067 Monetary policy rules in practice Some international evidence
by Clarida, Richard & Gali, Jordi & Gertler, Mark
- 1069-1112 Measuring monetary policy with VAR models: An evaluation
by Bagliano, Fabio C. & Favero, Carlo A.
- 1113-1140 Productivity growth, consumer confidence and the business cycle
by Danthine, Jean-Pierre & Donaldson, John B. & Johnsen, Thore
- 1141-1172 Synthetic returns on NIPA assets: An international comparison
by Baxter, Marianne & Jermann, Urban J. & King, Robert G.
May 1998, Volume 42, Issue 3-5
- 413-436 Features of experimentally observed bounded rationality
by Selten, Reinhard
- 437-458 How relevant are specifications of behavioral relations on the micro-level for modelling the time path of population aggregates?
by Hildenbrand, Werner
- 459-490 Why not cut pay?
by Bewley, Truman F.
- 491-497 Private and public health insurance in the UK
by Besley, Timothy & Hall, John & Preston, Ian
- 499-511 Moral hazard and the demand for physician services: First lessons from a French natural experiment
by Chiappori, Pierre-Andre & Durand, Franck & Geoffard, Pierre-Yves
- 513-522 An econometric model of health care utilization and health insurance in Switzerland
by Holly, Alberto & Gardiol, Lucien & Domenighetti, Gianfranco & Brigitte Bisig
- 523-542 Recent developments in modeling unforeseen contingencies
by Dekel, Eddie & Lipman, Barton L. & Rustichini, Aldo
- 543-551 Repeated games and limited forecasting
by Jehiel, Philippe
- 553-560 Definable preferences: An example1
by Rubinstein, Ariel
- 561-572 International Institutions and Environmental Policy: International environmental agreements: Incentives and political economy1
by Carraro, Carlo & Siniscalco, Domenico
- 573-582 Coalition formation in international environmental agreements and the role of institutions
by Ecchia, Giulio & Mariotti, Marco
- 583-592 Political institutions and the design of environmental policy in a federal system with asymmetric information
by Ulph, Alistair
- 593-603 Persistency in sticky price models
by Andersen, Torben M.
- 605-617 The role of monetary shocks in equilibrium business cycle theory: Three examples
by Cooley, Thomas F. & Hansen, Gary D.
- 619-629 Expectation heterogeneity and price sensitivity
by Nishimura, Kiyohiko G.
- 631-639 Learning in games
by Fudenberg, Drew & Levine, David
- 641-649 Evolution, rationality and equilibrium in games
by Weibull, Jorgen W.
- 651-663 Individual learning and social rationality1
by Peyton Young, H.
- 665-672 Comparing constitutions:: Cohesion and distribution in legislatures
by Diermeier, Daniel & Feddersen, Timothy J.
- 673-684 Transaction costs, institutional design and the separation of powers
by Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Martimort, David
- 685-694 Towards micropolitical foundations of public finance
by Persson, Torsten & Roland, Gerard & Tabellini, Guido
- 695-703 Trade and growth Any unfinished business?
by Baldwin, Richard E. & Forslid, Rikard
- 705-716 Economic incentives and international trade
by Dalia Marin & Monika Schnitzer
- 717-732 The political economy of EC regionalism
by Sapir, Andre
- 733-744 Results-oriented versus rules-oriented trade policies:: A theoretical survey
by Thierry Verdier
- 745-756 Ascending auctions
by Cramton, Peter
- 757-769 Auctions with almost common values: The 'Wallet Game' and its applications
by Klemperer, Paul
- 771-778 Game theory and the spectrum auctions
by Milgrom, Paul
- 779-800 The social basis of interdependent preferences
by Postlewaite, Andrew
- 801-820 Social status and economic performance:: A survey
by Weiss, Yoram & Fershtman, Chaim
- 821-830 Social norms and economic welfare1
by Peyton Young, H.
- 831-844 A portrait of the individual investor
by De Bondt, Werner F. M.
- 845-859 Reciprocity and economics: The economic implications of Homo Reciprocans1
by Fehr, Ernst & Gachter, Simon
- 861-871 Life-cycle consumption and hyperbolic discount functions
by Laibson, David
- 873-885 Are currency crises predictable?
by Goldfajn, Ilan & Valdes, Rodrigo O.
- 887-895 The trade balance and fiscal policy in the OECD
by Lane, Philip R. & Perotti, Roberto
- 897-908 Sharp reductions in current account deficits An empirical analysis
by Maria Milesi-Ferretti, Gian & Razin, Assaf
- 909-918 Bargaining while searching for outside options: A potential role for unions
by Aghion, Philippe & Compte, Oliver & Jehiel, Philippe
- 919-930 The determination of R&D: Empirical evidence on the role of unions
by Menezes-Filho, Naercio & Ulph, David & Van Reenen, John
- 931-939 Labour markets, bargaining and innovation
by Ulph, Alistair & Ulph, David
February 1998, Volume 42, Issue 2
- 207-223 Nominal wage contracts and the persistent effects of monetary policy
by Gottfries, Nils & Westermark, Andreas
- 225-244 Market structure and the timing of technology adoption with network externalities
by Choi, Jay Pil & Thum, Marcel
- 245-275 Job flow dynamics and firing restrictions
by Garibaldi, Pietro
- 277-310 Competing markets
by Gehrig, Thomas
- 311-327 Productivity shocks in a sectoral real business cycle model for West Germany
by Lucke, Bernd
- 329-347 The distribution of wealth in the liberal social contract
by Ythier, Jean Mercier
- 349-364 The semiflexible almost ideal demand system
by Moschini, Giancarlo
- 365-374 The price-wage mechanism: An endogenous switching model
by Osiewalski, Jacek & Welfe, Aleksander
- 375-411 Reform of the European Union's Common Agricultural Policy: How to reach GATT-compatibility?
by Weyerbrock, Silvia
January 1998, Volume 42, Issue 1
- 1-34 Gift exchange and reciprocity in competitive experimental markets
by Fehr, Ernst & Kirchsteiger, Georg & Riedl, Arno
- 35-59 Describability and agency problems
by Anderlini, Luca & Felli, Leonardo
- 61-69 Is there always too little research in endogenous growth with expanding product variety?
by Benassy, Jean-Pascal
- 71-95 Information policy in road transport with elastic demand: Some welfare economic considerations
by Emmerink, Richard H. M. & Verhoef, Erik T. & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet
- 97-122 Relative performance of public and private ownership under yardstick competition: electricity retail distribution
by Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart
- 123-153 'Actual' versus 'virtual' employment in Europe Is Spain different?
by Marimon, Ramon & Zilibotti, Fabrizio
- 155-183 The impact of employment tax cuts on unemployment and wages; The role of unemployment benefits and tax structure
by Pissarides, Christopher A.
- 185-199 Nominal rigidity and monetary uncertainty
by Rankin, Neil
- 201-206 Who's publishing who? The national composition of contributors to some core US and European journals
by Elliott, Caroline & Greenaway, David & Sapsford, David
December 1997, Volume 41, Issue 9
- 1-1 The 1997 Yrjo Jahnsson award in economics
by Sandmo, Agnar
- 1635-1654 Privatization and efficiency in a differentiated industry
by Anderson, Simon P. & de Palma, Andre & Thisse, Jacques-Francois
- 1655-1674 Optimal auction design and R&D
by Bag, Parimal Kanti
- 1675-1685 Yield-curve movements and fiscal retrenchments
by Balduzzi, Pierluigi & Corsetti, Giancarlo & Foresi, Silverio
- 1687-1707 The determinants of realignment expectations under the EMS: Some empirical regularities
by Chen, Zhaohui & Giovannini, Alberto
- 1709-1733 Structural uncertainty and subsidy removal for economies in transition
by Bertocchi, Graziella & Spagat, Michael
- 1735-1762 Walras--Keynes equilibria coordination and macroeconomics
by Dreze, Jacques H.
- 1763-1779 The distribution of earnings in Finland 1971-1990
by Eriksson, Tor & Jantti, Markus
- 1781-1816 Common trends and hysteresis in Scandinavian unemployment
by Jacobson, Tor & Vredin, Anders & Warne, Anders
- 1817-1834 Budget-constrained search
by Manning, Richard & Manning, Julian R. A.
- 1835-1852 Convergence across the Swedish counties, 1911-1993
by Persson, Joakim
August 1997, Volume 41, Issue 8
- 1427-1459 Environmental risks and bank liability
by Boyer, Marcel & Laffont, Jean-Jacques
- 1461-1478 The instability of fixed exchange rate systems when raising the nominal interest rate is costly
by Bensaid, Bernard & Jeanne, Olivier
- 1479-1488 International R&D spillovers, human capital and productivity in OECD economies: An empirical investigation
by Engelbrecht, Hans-Jurgen
- 1489-1509 Does unmeasured ability explain the higher wages of new technology workers?
by Entorf, Horst & Kramarz, Francis
- 1511-1535 A new indicator to assess the credibility of the EMS
by Gomez-Puig, Marta & Montalvo, JoseG.
- 1537-1557 Growth effects of European integration
by Henrekson, Magnus & Torstensson, Johan & Torstensson, Rasha
- 1559-1567 Note on duopolistic vertical restraints
by Irmen, Andreas
- 1569-1587 Conflict generating product price changes: The imputed output approach
by Lloyd, P. J. & Schweinberger, A. G.
- 1589-1613 An equilibrium search-matching model of discrimination
by Rosen, Asa
- 1615-1634 Risk allocation and inter-dealer trading
by Vogler, Karl-Hubert
July 1997, Volume 41, Issue 7
- 1251-1279 Saving and income smoothing: Evidence from panel data
by Alessie, Rob & Lusardi, Annamaria
- 1281-1307 The causes of Spanish unemployment: A structural VAR approach
by Dolado, Juan J. & Jimeno, Juan F.
- 1309-1320 Pricing initial public offerings: Further evidence from Germany
by Ljungqvist, Alexander P.
- 1321-1342 Rationing versus collateralization in competitive and monopolistic credit markets with asymmetric information
by Schmidt-Mohr, Udo
- 1343-1353 On the effects of firing costs when investment is endogenous: An extension of a model by Bertola
by Risager, Ole & Sorensen, Jan Rose
- 1355-1374 The term-structure of investment and the banks' insurance function
by von Thadden, Ernst-Ludwig
- 1375-1401 The predictive power of the term structure of interest rates in Europe and the United States: Implications for the European Central Bank
by Estrella, Arturo & Mishkin, Frederic S.
- 1403-1419 Monetary integration and currency substitution in the EMS: The case for a European monetary aggregate
by Spencer, Peter
- 1421-1426 Export and hedging decisions under revenue and exchange rate risk: A note
by Adam-Muller, Axel F. A.
June 1997, Volume 41, Issue 6
- 1-1 Editorial note
by Frankel, Jeffrey & Wyplosz, Charles
- 1025-1053 What does the Bundesbank target?
by Bernanke, Ben S. & Mihov, Ilian
- 1055-1078 International evidence on investment and fundamentals
by Eberly, Janice C.
- 1079-1109 Are countries with official international restrictions 'liquidity constrained'?
by Lewis, Karen K.
- 1111-1146 Inflation forecast targeting: Implementing and monitoring inflation targets
by Svensson, Lars E. O.
- 1147-1171 Institutions and labor reallocation
by Bertola, Giuseppe & Rogerson, Richard
- 1173-1200 Skill-biassed change, unemployment and wage inequality
by Gregg, Paul & Manning, Alan
- 1201-1249 Sticky price and limited participation models of money: A comparison
by Christiano, Lawrence J. & Eichenbaum, Martin & Evans, Charles L.
April 1997, Volume 41, Issue 3-5
- 357-383 Privatisation and liberalisation of network utilities
by Newbery, David M.
- 385-410 Government in transition
by Shleifer, Andrei
- 411-442 The 'paradoxes' of the successful state
by Rodrik, Dani
- 443-450 The constitutional reform of the European Union
by Vaubel, Roland
- 451-459 Flexible integration and European monetary union
by Thygesen, Niels
- 461-473 A new bankruptcy procedure that uses multiple auctions
by Hart, Oliver & La Porta Drago, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Moore, John
- 475-485 Ex-ante efficiency of bankruptcy procedures
by Cornelli, Francesca & Felli, Leonardo
- 487-497 Optimal bankruptcy law and firm-specific investments
by Berkovitch, Elazar & Israel, Ronen & Zender, Jaime F.
- 499-506 Is labour rigidity harming Europe's competitiveness? The effect of job protection on the pattern of trade and welfare
by Saint-Paul, Gilles
- 507-516 Can supply create its own demand? Implications for rising skill differentials
by Machin, Stephen & Manning, Alan
- 517-524 Unemployment insurance benefits and human capital accumulation
by Dellas, Harris
- 525-533 Technology, unemployment and efficiency
by Acemoglu, Daron
- 535-547 Challenges facing natural rate theory
by Bianchi, Marco & Zoega, Gylfi
- 549-557 Growth, wealth and the natural rate: Is Europe's jobs crisis a growth crisis?
by Hoon, Hian Teck & Phelps, Edmund S.
- 559-569 Is the natural rate a reference point?
by Karanassou, Marika & Snower, Dennis J.
- 571-579 An empirical puzzle: Falling migration and growing unemployment differentials among Italian regions
by Faini, Riccardo & Galli, Giampaolo & Gennari, Pietro & Rossi, Fulvio
- 581-589 Regional unemployment and labour mobility in the UK
by McCormick, Barry
- 591-598 Sticky labor in Spanish regions
by Bentolila, Samuel
- 599-608 Is redistribution through indirect taxes equitable?
by Decoster, Andre & Schokkaert, Erik & Van Camp, Guy
- 609-617 On the distributive and incentive effects of the Spanish income tax: A comparison of 1980 and 1994
by Mercader-Prats, Magda
- 619-626 Behavioural tax microsimulation with finite hours choices
by Duncan, Alan & Weeks, Melvyn
- 627-633 The impact of comparable policies in European countries: Microsimulation approaches
by Callan, Tim & Sutherland, Holly