Prospective Ageing and Economic Growth in Europe
We assess empirically the role played by prospective ageing measures as a predictor of income growth in Europe. We show that prospective ageing measures which move beyond chronological age and incorporate changes in life expectancy are able to explain better the recent long-run growth experience of European economies. The improvement in explanatory power of prospective ageing indicators as compared to standard measures based on chronological age is particularly relevant for long-run economic growth horizons.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria|
Web page: http://www.wu.ac.at/economics/en
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kogel, Tomas, 2005.
"Youth dependency and total factor productivity,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 147-173, February.
- David E. Bloom & David Canning & Jaypee Sevilla, 2001. "Economic Growth and the Demographic Transition," NBER Working Papers 8685, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bloom, David E & Williamson, Jeffrey G, 1998.
"Demographic Transitions and Economic Miracles in Emerging Asia,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 12(3), pages 419-55, September.
- David E. Bloom & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 1997. "Demographic Transitions and Economic Miracles in Emerging Asia," NBER Working Papers 6268, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Meijdam, A.C. & Verbon, H.A.A., 1995.
"Aging and Public Pensions in an Overlapping-Generations Model,"
1995-38, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Meijdam, Lex & Verbon, Harrie A A, 1997. "Aging and Public Pensions in an Overlapping-Generations Model," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(1), pages 29-42, January.
- Meijdam, A.C. & Verbon, H.A.A., 1997. "Aging and public pensions in an overlapping-generations model," Other publications TiSEM b93c8773-5708-434f-8386-6, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Thomas Lindh & Bo Malmberg, 2009. "European Union economic growth and the age structure of the population," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 159-187, August.
- Klaus Prettner, 2013.
"Population aging and endogenous economic growth,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 811-834, April.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 2002. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 134-44, January.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-63, July.
- Klaus Prettner & Alexia Prskawetz, 2010.
"Demographic change in models of endogenous economic growth. A survey,"
Central European Journal of Operations Research,
Springer;Slovak Society for Operations Research;Hungarian Operational Research Society;Czech Society for Operations Research;Österr. Gesellschaft für Operations Research (ÖGOR);Slovenian Society Informatika - Section for Operational Research;Croatian Operational Research Society, vol. 18(4), pages 593-608, December.
- Klaus Prettner & Alexia Prskawetz, 2010. "Demographic Change in Models of Endogenous Economic Growth. A Survey," Working Papers 1008, Vienna Institute of Demography (VID) of the Austrian Academy of Sciences in Vienna.
- Matteo Cervellati & Uwe Sunde, 2011.
"Life expectancy and economic growth: the role of the demographic transition,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 99-133, June.
- Cervellati, Matteo & Sunde, Uwe, 2009. "Life Expectancy and Economic Growth: The Role of the Demographic Transition," CEPR Discussion Papers 7361, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cervellati, Matteo & Sunde, Uwe, 2011. "Life expectancy and economic growth: The role of the demographic transition," Munich Reprints in Economics 20078, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Cervellati, Matteo & Sunde, Uwe, 2009. "Life Expectancy and Economic Growth: The Role of the Demographic Transition," IZA Discussion Papers 4160, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- James Feyrer, 2007. "Demographics and Productivity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(1), pages 100-109, February.
- Berlemann, Michael & Wesselhöft, Jan-Erik, 2012. "Estimating Aggregate Capital Stocks Using the Perpetual Inventory Method – New Empirical Evidence for 103 Countries –," Working Paper 125/2012, Helmut Schmidt University, Hamburg.
- Rafael Gómez & Pablo Hernández de Cos, 2008. "Does Population Ageing Promote Faster Economic Growth?," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 54(3), pages 350-372, 09.
- Martin Raiser & Indermit S. Gill, 2012. "Golden Growth : Restoring the Lustre of the European Economic Model," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6016, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwwuw:wuwp165. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Department of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.