Aging and Public Pensions in an Overlapping-Generations Model
In this paper, a social-welfare maximizing public-pension policy is modeled within the framework of the well-known two-overlapping-generations, general-equilibrium model with rational expectations. The model is used to analyze the effects of aging on the evolution of public-pension schemes. Analytical results are derived for the long run as well as for the short run by the method of comparative statics and comparative dynamics respectively. This shows that the short-run consequences of aging depend crucially on the existing size of the pay-as-you-go-scheme. Copyright 1997 by Royal Economic Society.
Volume (Year): 49 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cutler, D.M. & Poterba, J.M. & Sheiner, L.M. & Summers, L.H., 1990.
"An Aging Society: Opportunity Or Challenge,"
553, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Judd, Kenneth L., 1982. "An alternative to steady-state comparisons in perfect foresight models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 55-59.
- Meijdam, A.C. & Verhoeven, M.J.M., 1994.
"Comparative Dynamics in Perfect-Foresight Models,"
1994-73, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bovenberg, A Lans & Broer, D Peter & Westerhout, Ed W M T, 1993. "Public Pensions and Declining Fertility in a Small Open Economy: An Intertemporal Equilibrium Approach," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 48(Supplemen), pages 43-59.
- Meijdam, Lex & Verbon, Harrie A A, 1996.
"Aging and Political Decision Making on Public Pensions,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 141-58, May.
- Lex Meijdam & Harrie Verbon, 1996. "Aging and political decision making on public pensions," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 141-158, June.
- Meijdam, A.C. & Verbon, H.A.A., 1996. "Aging and political decision making on public pensions," Other publications TiSEM 30434a77-0d7a-4d11-8fbd-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Blanchet, Didier & Kessler, Denis, 1991. "Optimal Pension Funding with Demographic Instability and Endogenous Returns on Investment," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 137-54, May.
- Calvo, Guillermo A & Obstfeld, Maurice, 1988. "Optimal Time-Consistent Fiscal Policy with Finite Lifetimes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 411-32, March.
- Paul van den Noord & Richard Herd, 1993. "Pension Liabilities in the Seven Major Economies," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 142, OECD Publishing.
- Bernheim, B Douglas, 1989. "Intergenerational Altruism, Dynastic Equilibria and Social Welfare," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(1), pages 119-28, January.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Kahn, Charles M, 1980. "The Solution of Linear Difference Models under Rational Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(5), pages 1305-11, July.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Stanley Fischer, 1989. "Lectures on Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262022834, June.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-72302 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:dgr:kubcen:199473 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:fth:harver:1490 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:oxecpp:v:49:y:1997:i:1:p:29-42. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.