Demographic Pressure in the European Union
On top of the sovereign debt crisis in the European Union, demographic change is exerting enormous pressure on public finances. We analyse four policy options: lowering pension benefits, increasing labour market participation of the native population, immigration and participation of older people. Our results show that the most publically indebted EU economies face the highest increases in public spending on the retiring baby boom generations over the coming decades. Fortunately for these economies, it turns out that adjusting their labour market participation is easier than for their neighbouring economies within the EU. Increasing labour market participation to 60% keeps several countries largely out of the woods.
|Date of creation:||11 Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue de Beaulieu, 1160 Brussels|
Phone: +322 299 3523
Fax: +322 299 3523
Web page: http://www.eeri.eu/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Vries, Casper G & Teulings, Coen N, 2004.
"Generational Accounting, Solidarity and Pension Losses,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4209, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Coen Teulings & Casper Vries, 2006. "Generational Accounting, Solidarity and Pension Losses," De Economist, Springer, vol. 154(1), pages 63-83, 03.
- Teulings, Coen & de Vries, Casper G., 2003. "Generational Accounting, Solidarity and Pension Losses," IZA Discussion Papers 961, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alan J. Auerbach & Laurence J. Kotlikoff & Willi Leibfritz, 1999. "Generational Accounting around the World," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number auer99-1, March.
- Michael A. Clemens, 2011. "Economics and Emigration: Trillion-Dollar Bills on the Sidewalk?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 25(3), pages 83-106, Summer.
- Marga Peeters & Loek Groot, 2012.
"A Global View On Demographic Pressure And Labour Market Participation,"
Journal of Global Economy,
Research Centre for Social Sciences,Mumbai, India, vol. 8(2), pages 165-194, June.
- Groot, Loek & Peeters, Marga, 2011. "A global view on demographic pressure and labour market participation," MPRA Paper 32057, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Laurence J. Kotlikoff & Willi Leibfritz, 1999. "Introduction to "Generational Accounting around the World"," NBER Chapters, in: Generational Accounting around the World, pages 1-8 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2005. "Europe's Demographic Deficit," Munich Reprints in Economics 934, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Marga Peeters & Loek Groot, 2012. "Demographic Change Across the Globe," World Economics, World Economics, Economic & Financial Publishing, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE, vol. 13(2), pages 75-98, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eei:rpaper:eeri_rp_2012_11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julia van Hove)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.