Assessing Redistribution in the Uruguayan Social Security System
We assess redistribution in the Uruguayan main pension and unemployment insurance programs on a lifetime basis. Using administrative records from social security, we simulate lifetime declared labor income and flows of contributions and benefits of affiliates to the programs. Expected present values of income and net flows are also computed. Equipped with these estimations we construct standard measures of distribution and redistribution of lifetime labor income through the social security system. Our findings suggest that these programs reduce income inequality. In particular, social Security reduces the Gini coefficient of expected lifetime formal labor income by almost 2 percentage points.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (598) 2410-6449
Fax: (598) 2410-6450
Web page: http://www.fcs.edu.uy/subcategoria.php?SubCatId=48&CatId=53Email:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ann Huff Stevens, 1999.
"Climbing out of Poverty, Falling Back in: Measuring the Persistence of Poverty Over Multiple Spells,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 34(3), pages 557-588.
- Ann Huff Stevens, 1995. "Climbing Out of Poverty, Falling Back In: Measuring the Persistence of Poverty over Multiple Spells," NBER Working Papers 5390, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Didier Blanchet & Louis-Paul Pele, 1999.
"Social Security and Retirement in France,"
in: Social Security and Retirement around the World, pages 101-133
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Forteza, Alvaro & Apella, Ignacio & Fajnzylber, Eduardo & Grushka, Carlos & Rossi, Ianina & Sanroman, Graciela, 2009.
"Work histories and pension entitlements in Argentina, Chile and Uruguay,"
Social Protection Discussion Papers
52446, The World Bank.
- Alvaro Forteza & Ignacio Apella & Eduardo Fajnzylber & Carlos Grushka & Ianina Rossi & Graciela Sanroman, 2009. "Work Histories and Pension Entitlements in Argentina, Chile and Uruguay," Working Papers 32, Superintendencia de Pensiones, revised Sep 2009.
- Philippe Michel & Pierre Pestieau, 2013.
"Social Security And Early Retirement In An Overlapping-Generations Growth Model,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 14(2), pages 723-737, November.
- MICHEL, Philippe & PESTIEAU, Pierre, 1999. "Social security and early retirement in an overlapping-generations growth model," CORE Discussion Papers 1999051, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Alvaro Forteza & Ianina Rossi, 2009.
"The contribution of government transfer programs to inequality. A net-benefit approach,"
Journal of Applied Economics,
Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 55-67, May.
- Alvaro Forteza & Ianina Rossi, 2006. "The contribution of government transfer programs to inequality.A net-benefit approach," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0606, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Álvaro Forteza, 2007.
"Efectos Distributivos de la Reforma de la Seguridad Social. El Caso Uruguayo,"
Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía,
Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 44(129), pages 31-58.
- Alvaro Forteza, 2004. "Efectos distributivos de la reforma de la Seguridad Social, el caso Uruguayo," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0104, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Forteza, Alvaro & Ourens, Guzmán, 2012.
"Redistribution, insurance and incentives to work in Latin-American pension programs,"
Journal of Pension Economics and Finance,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 337-364, July.
- Alvaro Forteza & Guzmán Ourens, 2010. "Redistribution, Insurance and Incentives to Work in Latin American Pension Programs," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1810, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Alvaro Forteza, 2011. "Assessing Redistribution within Social Insurance Systems.The cases of Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Mexico and Uruguay," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1311, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Michele Boldrin & Sergi Jimenez-Martni & Franco Peracchi, 1997.
"Social Security and Retirement in Spain,"
NBER Working Papers
6136, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ferrer, Ana M. & Riddell, W. Craig, 2009.
"Unemployment insurance savings accounts in Latin America : overview and assessment,"
Social Protection Discussion Papers
49173, The World Bank.
- Ferrer, Ana & Riddell, W. Craig, 2011. "Unemployment Insurance Savings Accounts in Latin America: Overview and Assessment," IZA Discussion Papers 5577, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gustman, Alan L. & Steinmeier, Thomas L., 2001.
"How effective is redistribution under the social security benefit formula?,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 1-28, October.
- Alan L. Gustman & Thomas L. Steinmeier, 2000. "How Effective is Redistribution Under the Social Security Benefit Formula?," NBER Working Papers 7597, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan L. Gustman & Thomas L. Steinmeier, 2000. "How Effective is Redistribution Under the Social Security Benefit Formula?," Working Papers wp005, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Alvaro Forteza, 2003. "Seguridad social y competencia política," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0403, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Bucheli, Marisa & Forteza, Alvaro & Rossi, Ianina, 2010. "Work histories and the access to contributory pensions: the case of Uruguay," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(03), pages 369-391, July.
- Sergi Jiménez-Martín & Alfonso R. Sánchez, 2003.
"An evaluation of the life-cycle effects of minimum pensions on retirement behavior,"
Economics Working Papers
715, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jun 2006.
- Sergi Jiménez-Mart�n & Alfonso R. Sánchez Mart�n, 2007. "An evaluation of the life cycle effects of minimum pensions on retirement behavior," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(5), pages 923-950.
- Sergi Jiménez-Martín & Alfonso R. Sánchez Martín, 2003. "An evaluation of the life-cycle effects of minimum pensions on retirement behavior," Working Papers 108, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Sutherland, Holly, 2001. "EUROMOD: an integrated European benefit-tax model: final report," EUROMOD Working Papers EM9/01, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Francisco Pino & Solange Berstein & Guillermo Larraín, 2006. "Chilean Pension Reform: Coverage Facts and Policy Alternatives," JOURNAL OF LACEA ECONOMIA, LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ude:wpaper:1211. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Irene Musio)or (Héctor Pastori)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.