Contributions to social security in Argentina, Chile and Uruguay: Densities, transitions and duration
Pension programs in Latin America have low coverage. We use large panel databases coming from administrative records of Argentina, Chile and Uruguay to characterize the histories of contribution of the population. We compute three indicators: density of contribution, transition rates and duration of the spells of contribution and no contribution. The picture that emerges is worrisome. The density of contributions is low on average and pretty heterogeneous across the population. The spells of contribution are short and interruptions are frequent. Transition rates are higher at early ages and tend to decline later in life, indicating high turnover among young individuals.
Volume (Year): LVII (2011)
Issue (Month): (January-December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 21- 1466
Web page: http://www.depeco.econo.unlp.edu.ar/economica/ing/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marisa Bucheli & Alvaro Forteza & Ianina Rossi, 2007. "Work history and the access to contributory pensions. The case of Uruguay," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1607, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Rafael Rofman & Leonardo Lucchetti & Guzmán Ourens, 2010. "Pension Systems in Latin America: Concepts and Measurements of Coverage," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0510, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Robert Holzmann & David A. Robalino & Noriyuki Takayama, 2009. "Closing the Coverage Gap : The Role of Social Pensions and Other Retirement Income Transfers," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2651, December.
- Francisco Pino & Solange Berstein & Guillermo Larraín, 2006. "Chilean Pension Reform: Coverage Facts and Policy Alternatives," JOURNAL OF LACEA ECONOMIA, LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- David Bravo & Jere R. Behrman & Olivia s. Mitchell & Petra E. Todd. & Javiera Vásquez, 2008. "Encuesta de protección social 2006: Presentación general y principales resultados," Working Papers wp273, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Forteza, Alvaro & Apella, Ignacio & Fajnzylber, Eduardo & Grushka, Carlos & Rossi, Ianina & Sanroman, Graciela, 2009.
"Work histories and pension entitlements in Argentina, Chile and Uruguay,"
Social Protection Discussion Papers
52446, The World Bank.
- Alvaro Forteza & Ignacio Apella & Eduardo Fajnzylber & Carlos Grushka & Ianina Rossi & Graciela Sanroman, 2009. "Work Histories and Pension Entitlements in Argentina, Chile and Uruguay," Working Papers 32, Superintendencia de Pensiones, revised Sep 2009.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lap:journl:577. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Margarita Machelett)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.